Can you identify OEM vs aftermarket fairing?

Alternative

Registered
Planning on purchasing a set as spare for the Gen1 I recently bought, I and wanted to see if one can easily identify OEM vs aftermarket. Here are a few pictures of the inside of the side fairings and nose. There are stamped numbers/letters, and one of the barcodes seem to be a valid part number.

20180607_193557.jpg

20180607_193612.jpg

20180607_193705.jpg

20180607_204626.jpg

I ended up buying an aftermarket set (Chinese of course) after a slow corner failure...I'll post pics one of these days!
The fairings and nose cone had a slightly raised stamp of the OEM marks, but did not have a sticker. Only reason it had the stamps was due to the mold they used...they are barely legible.

As a forewarning, I would not buy aftermarket unless you don't mind the headache. Took two days of careful modification, prayers, cursing, and forceful coercing to get them on nicely. All that just to see two huge seams on the inner black trim panels everyday
banghead[1].gif

I ended up buying an aftermarket set (Chinese of course) after a slow corner failure...I'll post pics one of these days!
The fairings and nose cone had a slightly raised stamp of the OEM marks, but did not have a sticker. Only reason it had the stamps was due to the mold they used...they are barely legible.

As a forewarning, I would not buy aftermarket unless you don't mind the headache. Took two days of careful modification, prayers, cursing, and forceful coercing to get them on nicely. All that just to see two huge seams on the inner black trim panels everyday View attachment 1625802
I have asked several about the aftermarket kits. It's always a good or bad. No details. Thanks for pointing out the specific. Did the screw holes align. Or the hole mold was off. You figure they would take a little more time and try to get it as close as possible to perfect mold. Aim small miss small.

Planning on purchasing a set as spare for the Gen1 I recently bought, I and wanted to see if one can easily identify OEM vs aftermarket. Here are a few pictures of the inside of the side fairings and nose. There are stamped numbers/letters, and one of the barcodes seem to be a valid part number.

View attachment 1582157

View attachment 1582158

View attachment 1582159

View attachment 1582160
Maybe Red can find the thread...

As a forewarning, I would not buy aftermarket unless you don't mind the headache. Took two days of careful modification, prayers, cursing, and forceful coercing to get them on nicely. All that just to see two huge seams on the inner black trim panels everyday View attachment 1625802
BB,I may have missed yer sign up... :welcome: to the Org.
It's always like that with me - except for the seams - if a hand or an elbow's not bleeding, I didn't do it right:confused:
I have asked several about the aftermarket kits. It's always a good or bad. No details. Thanks for pointing out the specific. Did the screw holes align. Or the hole mold was off. You figure they would take a little more time and try to get it as close as possible to perfect mold. Aim small miss small.
There was a fairly recent thread with exact manufactures that were actually decent. @Kiwi Rider reported good success with his I believe.He'll see this and prolly remem the thread too.He knows the diff between injection mold and the other type as well.
As far as Chinese plastics for Gen II I have a stack. have not looked at them in years,but would dig them out,post pics,guess at fitment...scale of 1-5 say...and mail them out free (new owner gets the shipping cost)
1 or 2 sides,2 sets rear sig pods(1 oem,slight rash) 2 noses,2 belly's,1 complete dash,more.....
Rubb.

Maybe Red can find the thread...

BB,I may have missed yer sign up... :welcome: to the Org.

There was a fairly recent thread with exact manufactures that were actually decent. @Kiwi Rider reported good success with his I believe.He'll see this and prolly remem the thread too.He knows the diff between injection mold and the other type as well.
As far as Chinese plastics for Gen II I have a stack. have not looked at them in years,but would dig them out,post pics,guess at fitment...scale of 1-5 say...and mail them out free (new owner gets the shipping cost)
1 or 2 sides,2 sets rear sig pods(1 oem,slight rash) 2 noses,2 belly's,1 complete dash,more.....
Rubb.
Here's the thread . . .

The nose and tail were incredibly tight to fit on...took 2 sets of hands. I left the plastic in the FL summer sun for 4 hrs before installing and I still thought they were going to break.
The turn signal and taillight assembly sections were not aligned very well. Tail had to be spread apart to fit the light because the 1 mounting studs were off center. The turn signal pods do not have the same spacing on each side and required longer bolts+washers/rubber grommets to seat correctly.
I had to file out 4-5 fairing bolt holes a little bigger, but that was super easy.
*Replace the heat shielding* as my belly pan warped in 1 week and I'm riding fairing-less until I get the time to put the shielding on :banghead:

@rubbersidedown you didn't miss it. I can't find my "good" pics from before the mess mentioned above and didn't want to post a naked bike for first impressions :p

Back