can you help me with suspension set up

thelakeshow2k

Registered
i'm new to sportbikes and weigh 165 lbs. can you give me suggestions on suspension settings (front and back) for street riding (normal to moderate agressive riding) thanks!!

Jinkster has a great write-up. Do a search on suspension setup and look for jinksters name... it has pics and everything.

Just curious for his weight.. what do most of you 165-180 lbs have set for preload? How many lines are showing on your fork?

Just curious for his weight.. what do most of you 165-180 lbs have set for preload? How many lines are showing on your fork?

I know your looking for a generic answer but a bike with 20,000 city miles from a 250lb rider is not going to be the same preload as a one year old bike with 1,000 miles from a 165lb rider.

My forks were rebuilt with springs and valving so my preload answer will not help.

uggh.. yes I am looking for generic lol. I am getting frustrated with changing clicks every day after reading jinksters thread to try and get in the ballpark.

No matter what I do to mine it feels like something is wrong. Its rough and harsh over every bump and making it less stiff makes it worse..

uggh.. yes I am looking for generic lol. I am getting frustrated with changing clicks every day after reading jinksters thread to try and get in the ballpark.

No matter what I do to mine it feels like something is wrong. Its rough and harsh over every bump and making it less stiff makes it worse..

What's your spring rate? If it's stock, even the hardest seting will be too soft.
Posted via Mobile Device

165-180 is a big spread. Are you 165, or are you 180? "making it less stiff" is very vauge. What exactly are you doing to soften it up?

Last edited:
well.. Im about 183 without clothes so.. maybe close to 190-200 when i think about it...

I did jinksters exact specs and then turned them out a few more clicks (compression and rebound) for my weight since he was 240 i believe...

The front forks seem to like to hop up and down over smooth pavement.. almost feels like i have a broken spring or something... it just gets old... and I might as well have bought that Rc51. (still might)

I rode my friends zx14 the other day for about 30 miles and man his rides great! Although the front needs tighted a bit, his preload was out like 6 lines.... mine is set at 3 lines showing... the compression and rebound is set at pretty firm, but not quite jinksters specs.

well.. Im about 183 without clothes so.. maybe close to 190-200 when i think about it...

The front forks seem to like to hop up and down over smooth pavement.. almost feels like i have a broken spring or something... it just gets old... and I might as well have bought that Rc51. (still might)

Assuming the internals are in good working order, you do not have enough rebound (top adjuster), which would be why it gets worse as you back off further. Turn the adjuster all the way in (clockwise). Be carefull not to bollom it out too hard because you can cause damage. Then turn them back 3 clicks and see how that works.

ok will try that.. what type of gap should there be between rebound, compression, and preload? should there be a certain percentage difference between them, or a number of clicks?

Fine tuning the rebound and compression is more rider preference than science. If you want a baseline to start with, I'd turn the compression all the way down, then back up 9 clicks. You should readjust the sag (target 3 3/8") after adjusting the rebound and compression, then fine tune the rebound and compression again.

Back