can you give cornering advice?

gcal

Registered
I went and practiced some cornering with my riding partner (he has an rsv1000). Here are some picters of my position on bike. If you racers or experinced riders can give me advice that would be great. Thanks, gcal

Picture_009.jpg

yea some pics are nicer then others but we were more tring to ride then take pics

Picture_011.jpg

my jacket is to small in the back i know
tounge.gif

i at least got rid of all my chicken strips today
biggrin.gif

this corner was a 15 mph corner and i was taking it at 30-40mph

Picture_012.jpg

First off, you can lean her a little lower....just watch your speed so that you don't low-side.

Second, you need to hang a little more off the seat. Try and make sure that your butt is slightly hovering above the seat. A good gauge of how far you should be leaning is your butt crack. Make sure that it's at the edge of the seat. You can also spread your legs more. Bring the leg that is on the turn side out further. A good judge of how far your leg should be out is this: stand with both feet together, raise one knee up to waist height, and then spread it all the way out until it's perpendicular to your body. Try ont to twist your body when you're doing this; your body should remain facing forward. If you can't do that, then focus on some flexibility exercises.

Third, keep yourself on the balls of your toes...it'll help you to switch over more quickly.

Fourth, look through the turn....keep your neck in line with your side view mirror. Shoulder should be below, head should be above the mirror (for obvious reasons)

Keep steady on the throttle....decide your cornering speed BEFORE you enter the turn! It can be pretty disastrous if you decide to brake in mid-line or if you decide to twist more throttle...

That's all that I know...you may also want to PM or ping some of the track people...Oracle and Howlin Mad come to mind. Please don't quote me on these techniques...I may be doing it wrong.

No fair flaming too badly, ok guys? I'm just a noob....for now. I hope this helps, G...

wink.gif
wink.gif

wink.gif

Oh yeah...and WTF!!!! Wear some better pants, dood! Ya gotta have that leather, bro! Trust me.....jeans WILL DO NOTHING if you have a get-off. Trust me, bro.
cool.gif

Lookin good man... If ya really wanna tip it in, read a few books on the subject Keith Codes " Twist of the Wrist " # I & II are good along with a few others. Also if your gonna ride hard get some leathers as you can rip through those jeans in about 2 seconds.
thumbs-up.gif

what pac said

- take it to the track.  you will amaze yourself and learn so much more in 2 hours than you will in 6 months on the street
- if no track, know your corner is free of sand and twigs
- lower tire PSI by 3 lbs [or more] track riders lower by 10 usually
- get a feel for hiking off the side by practicing on a deserted straitline road
- get some sunglasses or lower your shield to protect eyes
- invest in knee sliders and leather pants

I am no pro knee dragger either but those are my observations so far.  $.07 worth

BTW there IS a limit to busa's cornering simply because it is wide. you'll need to tighten it up and or change fairings and maybe pipes to lean over like an anorexic liter bike or 600. my bike is stock and I have scraped fairing and pegs on a track, so I know it's capable but it's not THEE cornering track bike... but it sure is fun!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088775415 -->

Oh yeah...and WTF!!!! Wear some better pants, dood! Ya gotta have that leather, bro! Trust me.....jeans WILL DO NOTHING if you have a get-off. Trust me, bro.  
cool.gif
Don't make PacMan show you his hiney...
tounge.gif

You're trying to learn what I want to gcal...I'm with WWJD...take to the track for a road coarse weekend or something...that's what I hope to one day do, and everyone that I know that's done it doesn't regret it a bit...

Sounds like money well spent...lookin' good BTW...

Yea money well spent if I had it...:(
I will save up for the track.
My leather pants were home (dumbazz) and yea I know better. But my pants are getting tighter and tighter so they kill me were it counts
laugh.gif

I will get new ones in the near future and will also get in to a track day sooner or later.
thanks keep it coming

ok... Hang on... What Pac said is pretty solid... I will take a shot... Let's work from that third picture that shows your back:

1. Close your visor dolt!
2. Wear leather pants with knee slider pucks ding-dong!
3. Now that the beating are out of the way...
4. Your spine is not in-line with your lower body. You could shift your shoulders left at least 8 inches! It looks as though your lower body is in great shape, but the upper is afraid to "hang-off."
5. Lean forward. You look like you are braking for a deer or something. Get aggressive and lean in to the turn (upper body problem again).
6. You should have ZERO weight on the handle bars... It looks to me that you are supporting some of your weight there. Use your back, thighs, and abs to maintain body position not arms and hands. Also loosen up the death grip on your hands. This takes practice... Lots of it.
7. Stick your left knee out a bit more.
8. Look THROUGH the turn at your exit (as others have mentioned). This is KEY!!!
9. Don't pay any attention to your chicken strips, they mean nothing.
10. practice makes better!

Good luck bro,
Rip

Back