Can You Drive a STICK ?

I learned to drive a 5 speed when I was 16 and have enjoyed shifting through the gears ever since. My car is an automatic but our "second" vehicle is a little S-10 with a 5 speed and it is fun to drive! I almost WANT a manual transmission in my next car. That is until I get stuck in rush hour traffic!!

Learning to drive a "standard" was like a right of passage for me and my g/friends...LOL!!

I'm 24 now, but when I was 22 I had a Mazda RX-8 6spd. I went to a restaurant and had valet parking, the guy didnt know how to drive a manual and they had to try to find a valet that knew how to drive a stick. I was almost to the point that I was going to pay them and I'd go park it. I couldnt believe it! And I still have all manual cars, that's all that me and the girl want.

Im 21, daily driver is a 6-speed GTO. Taught my 19 year old brother in 1 time out now he steals the car on me all the time.. Next is teaching the girlfriend, that will require a little more time...:whistle:

My first car was an 83 Datsun 200SX 5speed. Second car was a 92 camaro RS Automatic. The auto stayed in the car for all of about 3 months Went straight to a worldclass t-5 now to a tremec TKO GM conversion T-5.

I HATE AUTOMATICS

P.S. I am also an old school Peterbuilt driver. Dual shift 10 speed for the win. If that isnt enough for you try a dual stick 15 speed...... talk about odd when you first get in it.

my current truck is a 6 spd. i want to drive the vehicle not the vehicle drive me. i believe it keeps you sharp of your surroundings.

I rented a Uhaul truck, stick shift, from a hardware store agent a few years ago. Brought it back to the office when I was done and the kid working there asked if I would park it back on the lot for him as he didnt know how to drive a stick shift. WTF ??

I learned to drive in an old 66 chevy truck with a three speed on the column. Have been through and drove a vast array of manuals since then. I was even an over the road truck driver before my LEO career, got my share of shifting there.

my first car was a manual. And because my father was(and still is) a tool - I taught myself!

I learned on a manual at 16 as well, just because it was what my boyfriend drove. And, we thought it would be good, in the event of emergency, if I learned. Then we broke up. Then, I met Jeff and he only drives manual. SO, since that is what we owned when we got married...and he was going on deployment and leaving me to have to drive myself...I had to relearn on the streets of San Diego. NOW, the tough part, is that I am looking for a new car...and I REALLY want Manual...cause it is fun.

PS I am only 25...

Nope, not a John, either.
It was a Renault 16

gr16tsvoor.jpg

Back