Can U use 99-00 Manual for 2002 Busa

bigborerider

Registered
I finally bought the bike after someone
I am going to check the tappet clearances, diameters, and other measurements in the engine to make sure everything is correct. My problem is I got the 99-00 service manual and the 02 update, but Im not sure if the values in that manual are the same for the 02. This means the tappet clearances and other values.

I guess my question is whether or not the engine is the same from 99 to 2002

If someone has used the 99 to 00 manual to check the tappet clearences or change the shims, let me know.
thanks for the help

If someone has the 2002 pdf update and understands it, let me know how it works.

Specs. are the same in both model years Intake is 0.10-0.20, Exhaust is 0.20-0.30

example per manual; tappet clearance is  0.38mm
                  present shim size is  2.90mm
                  shim size to be used  3.05mm     as you can see adding a larger shim will reduce the clearance back to correct allowance, that will be a 1 hour minimum shop labor @ $65.00 per hour, my paypal is...  
cool.gif
 Good luck, also I recall seeing a post about a valve shim bank that several members had started awhile back, you may want to do a search on that. As far as the other specs, from what I seen, they will also work

There were few changes to the busa from 99 to o7. Don't get me wrong, there were some but I believe the engine and specs would be the same.

Specs. are the same in both model years Intake is 0.10-0.20, Exhaust is 0.20-0.30

example per manual; tappet clearance is  0.38mm
                  present shim size is  2.90mm
                  shim size to be used  3.05mm     as you can see adding a larger shim will reduce the clearance back to correct allowance, that will be a 1 hour minimum shop labor @ $65.00 per hour, my paypal is...  
cool.gif
 Good luck, also I recall seeing a post about a valve shim bank that several members had started awhile back, you may want to do a search on that. As far as the other specs, from what I seen, they will also work
Thats what I wanted to hear.  Im going to do the work myself, it doesn't take that long.  Plus getting your bike worked on is a 3 week wait at least now that everyone is buying bikes.  Shims where the only thing they had in stock.  I have all the tools and hardware to do the job already, and the service manual gives you everything. Plus there is a thread for for some added help.  Im a little over 15k miles so I am suppose to check this anyway.

Ill check out that shim bank if I have some problems.

Thanks for the info man, I just wanted to make sure.  If anyone needs some pics or info on a how to, let me know.  Its a pretty easy thing to do when you have what you need.
thanks again

From what I have read, the only difference is fuel pump location and direction of drain hoses.

Glad to help, posting a play by play would be great to show the folks that don't know how to,and save them a bunch of green$. I started working on my own dirt bikes when I was 14 because I couldn't afford the shop labor, best thing my folks ever did was buy me a service manual for my '82 KX80, OMG, the money they seved me since then!.LOL

BTW, WELCOME to the ORG.

Tell me about it, Im saving alot of money, and I get to test all of the leads and other components while checking the clearance. It was going to be three weeks for a pressure test (which I found out you can buy the hardware for $30 to do it), so I figured I would do it myself since I have the tools. Ive been taking pictures after each step and how I taped up things to remember where things go.

Ive already got the cover off where I can see the camshafts, and there wasn't a difference. The only difference is if you want to clean the throttle bodies since the fuel pump is connected there for 99 to 00. Other then that, there isn't a difference. I plan to take the throttle bodies apart and clean them anyway which seems simple just to be on the safe side. It takes 6 tools to get it all apart and back together if you do need to change a shim. Once you get all the crap out of the way, it looks just like the pictures.

Hmmm, I've nearly double that perhaps I should stop procrastinating... Is it rainy day project? Or more? I'll probably procrastinate for pics...
whistling.gif

Hmmm, I've nearly double that perhaps I should stop procrastinating...  Is it rainy day project?  Or more?  I'll probably procrastinate for pics...
whistling.gif
To check everything, it takes 30 minutes if you have the tools. I can list all the tools, which aren't much, and walk you through it by posting instructions. If you have the miles or think need it, you might as well do it. Its too easy to not do it. The manual is good, but it shows you things with the engine out that you can't see with the engine in. I do recommend it.

Back