Can someone put an ear to their tank?

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
Hey all.... I was wondering if next time one of ya'll start your bike up, if you could put an ear to your tank and tell me if you can hear a very high pitched whine/whistle coming from the tank. I posted previously that I thought it was coming from the brakes... guess the whole excitement of the new bike, I didn't really try and chase the noise. Almost sounds like a fuel pump impeller or a small leak in the air delivery system. The pitch does change when I twist the throttle.

So that cancels bigdr's idea This high pitched whine could be your missus as you're going for a ride again..... [/QUOTE] Her whine is pretty much the same pitch that goes on and on and on...
1zhelp.gif

I asked the tech when I got the 600 mile service, but he said he didn't hear it, and I didn't ask him to listen to the tank before I dropped it off. To tell the truth, I wasn't too impressed with the tech, and was glad to get my bike out of there. The problem is that you don't really hear it unless you "connect to the tank" or unless you wear a helmet and sit on the bike... which is usually how I ride
smile.gif
I'm guessing the pitch is so high, that the helmet filters out the low noise of the engine which leaves the high pitch audible.

Just a thought, are you talking about when the bike is running or just the ignition is turned on
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BUSA-MAN 24-7
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145217624 -->

you sure it isnt the wind hitting the helmet and making that noise and when you twist the throttle the faster wind makes more noise
rock.gif
try a differ helmet
smile.gif

What I think he may be talking about is when the bike is running and you can hear the fuel injection..

Thanks for the response Busa-Man. The high pitched whining is happening when the bike is stationary-- not wind noise. The noise seems to be coming from inside of the tank. The pitch of the whine changes with slight throttle movements. The pitch also seems to vary slightly by depressing the brake... all while the bike is stationary. When the bike is in motion, I can't hear the noise, seems that higher rpms (above 1.5K) while the bike is stationary or in motion will drowned out the whine.

I hate being a pest about the noise, but waiting for a red light --- the noise has a way of getting right inside the middle of my head, it's just so high pitched, like the high pitched whistle of a jet engine. Oh, and the noise seems more audible after the bike has run for a couple of minutes... not necessarily operating temperature though. It doesn't sound like metal on metal or anything. More of a whine or a whistle, while the bike is stationary.

I've owned two other Suzuki's (Katana and a GSXR 600) and never heard anything like this.

Thanks again for the responses... any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on taking her back up to the dealer tomorrow. Hoping I have some ammo from this board to counter the enevitable "There's nothing wrong, all Busa's make that noise".

What I'm nearly sure you are hearing is the fuel injection system its normal...
smile.gif

The reason why the noises in the middle of your head is because you are very aware of it, because you are thinking there is something wrong with your bike.

This is not the case...... I can assure you there is nothing wrong... I'm sure someone else will chime in here soon enough to confirm that it is the fuel injection system.

When I turn the key on, I'll hear the fuel pump for about 2 secs or so and then it shuts off.

Now, when I start it, if I listen carefully, I can hear the fuel pump running...but I have to *really* listen for it.

Do you hear the same 'whine' when you turn the key on - just before starting it?

i have the same problem...hurts my ears its so high pitched ...but only when i am idleing any throttle drowns it out

Just went down to have another listen. I hear the fuel pump kick on when I put the key in, after about two seconds fuel pump shuts off. I start the bike, and it sounds like the fuel pump turns back on.

So I turn the bike off again, turn the key, put my ear to the tank, and really listen to the fuel pump, and try to visualize the location. I crank the bike over, and I'll be darned if the noise doesn't sound like the fuel pump back on again and in the same spot.

Chrisjp - how many miles do you have? I just kicked over 800, noise started at about 200.

Thanks for the replies guys, and your continued help would be great.

I took her back to the dealer... and of course I must have ESP cause their exact words were "That's Normal". They even said that the fuel pumps on Busa's are so loud that they can sometimes be heard from across the parking lot. I have a real hard time believing that. They also said there would be no way they'd replace the pump unless it fails. GD - the thing is whining so loud, it sounds like it's failing now. It's hard to belive that at idle, a fuel pump can just about drown out a 1300cc engine. I am so pissed off with this. The a-hole even suggested that I get a pair of good ear-plugs to dampen the sound.

Anyone have any advice?

if you dont like the fuel pump on a busa because of the noise... you should hear the just one of the fuel pumps on a KC-135... you wanna talk about loud
wow.gif

Trust me, you CAN hear a Busa's fuel Pump across a parking lot. Assuming of course there isn't a shed load of other noise. Some are louder than others.

But yeah, the pump is loud, it's part of the Pre-flight fun, you get the Whine, the needle dance, and then Fawoom, Ignition. The initial whine is the fuel pump priming the system, it brings things up to pressure and then stops. Listen to most any of your new cars and you can hear their pumps as well, some loud some not.

Revlis, thanks for the response. It's not the two seconds or so of fuel pump priming that takes place before the ingintion is engauged that I dislike. I kinda like it too. But I wouldn't have thought that I should continue to hear it after the motor is running. O well... next week is a big ride out to the mountains. Countless Busas I'd imagine - so I hope to get a better feel for what other bikes sound like.

Revlis, thanks for the response. It's not the two seconds or so of fuel pump priming that takes place before the ingintion is engauged that I dislike. I kinda like it too. But I wouldn't have thought  that I should continue to hear it after the motor is running. O well... next week is a big ride out to the mountains. Countless Busas I'd imagine - so I hope to get a better feel for what other bikes sound like.
Simple Fix?

Get yourself a Pair of Yoshimura, or Akrapovic Bolt-ons. Let the Busa have a voice and you'll never worry about you pesky fuel pump again.
thumbs-up.gif

Oh and the Rattle from the lower right that kinda allmost sounds like piston slap? That's The Clutch, it's a noisy beeyotch. And the valvetrain made by The Singer Sewing Machine Company, normal, as is the Fart*Foomp*Growl from the intake at various RPMS.

Basically my point is get some pipes on there, cause the busa just isn't much to listen to otherwise, very mechanical but none of the 1100XX intake music, VFR gear whine goodness.

Yes the fuel pumps do make noise, even can hear mine on a '00 that's mounted on the engine. I work on cars and hear them in gas tanks all the time.

Yes... I'm with Rev. the stock exhaust is so quite that you hear the fuel pump and crank up to about 4500 rpm. I've got D&D and I can still hear it under certain conditions.

You'll also start complaining about the whistle you hear after you shut it down... I'd say in about a month. That's the pressure building up in the gas tank that is bleeding off through the cap. It can also cause hard starts once you get the bike tuned and it is not running as lean as a stock dealer setup is. Pop the cap and it will pop open... Mine even whistles when it's coldish outside...

Flame ON!!!!
firedevil.gif

Back