can I save my battery?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
brand new battery, dead two days later. reads 5v on volt meter. I have a SCORPIO Alarm system that is hot to the touch - I assume it has shorted and failed or something. Also use the standard Battery Tender - but that has been acting up lately.

Anyway, brand new battery seems drained. Can I hook it to Battery Tender, or my Sears 2amp charger and bring it back to life???

Want to take to dealer (push start SHOULD work) and get SCORPIO removed, or can I do it myself? It's the kind that can shut the bike off, sense movement etc so I assumed it is a trick wiring install.

Thanks for any info!

A new battery that has been drained will usually charge back up, it's definitely worth trying.
The bike Will roll start too.
As for the alarm, they are available with plug in harnesses. So there's a chance that you can simply unplug it(unless someone hacked up the harness). It should plug in under the rear seat around the taillight harness, and to the battery.
Those are most likely the only connections, but it does depend upon the alarm itself.
Find the alarm box and follow the wires, you don't want to pay a dealer for something that can be very simple.

I would charge it on a slow charge, say like 1 or 2 amps. You're not out nothing if you try to save it.

I generally don't use my alarm unless I'm out and about as I have the same problem with running down the battery I don't know if it's a common issue with those types but I don't have any issues if I only use it in a parking lot situation I'm not really over protective of my bike she is kind of an ugly duckling at the moment so a lot of the time I don't use it at all

Long time no see. If it's sealed lead acid throw it on the charger and see what happens. Should bounce back.

Yes charge it back up and it should be OK I personally don't like putting any sort of electrical accessories on my gen 2 :thumbsup:

Greg! What's up, dude? Yeah, I'd put it on a charger and see if that works for ya

Hi, ye old timers!! :) You guy's PINK PANTIES... are kinda scaring me.... something I should know? ...not that there is anything wrong with it! :) I don't ride as much anymore due to other vehicles, but I have some AWESOME FUN memories riding with many of you!

Good News! I disconnected the one random alarm wire from the (+) on the battery, hooked battery to the battery tender for a day and a half, back to 12.5 volts! Started, ran fine, drove around DSM freeway loop, tried starting twice and seems ok now. Thanks for the great advice (as usual!) I was dreading maybe having ruined a brand new battery. Now, I wonder if my OLD battery was just fine? oh well

The Pink Panties are Vabs' creation - you know, she pretty much runs the place, keeping the riff-raff in line. :laugh:

Bunch of old timers on this thread. Just charge it and throw away the alarm

Greg, long time, no see!!!! Good to see you around...but, I think we feel sooooo used right now. You never call, never write, only come back when you need something, like that college kid that can't do laundry on his own :rofl:

Don't be a stranger :rulez: :p

Recharge and make sure it hold charge before running it on the bike as it could cause rectifier failure or a fire from gas given off by it overheating.
5v is awfully low and an alarm normally wouldn't cause that as most have a feature that puts them into a sleep mode if the battery voltage drops below about 10v.

Removing the alarm is a good idea or at the very least get it checked out to see how much current its drawing compared to its specs....the norm is about 10-50ma depending on what its protecting.
I have a cheap Chinese Ebay alarm and its been fine battery wise.....only 3 wires and no messing about with the immobiliser,lights etc....it just sounds if the ignition is activated.

Recharge and make sure it hold charge before running it on the bike as it could cause rectifier failure or a fire from gas given off by it overheating.
5v is awfully low and an alarm normally wouldn't cause that as most have a feature that puts them into a sleep mode if the battery voltage drops below about 10v.

Removing the alarm is a good idea or at the very least get it checked out to see how much current its drawing compared to its specs....the norm is about 10-50ma depending on what its protecting.
I have a cheap Chinese Ebay alarm and its been fine battery wise.....only 3 wires and no messing about with the immobiliser,lights etc....it just sounds if the ignition is activated.

I'm betting it WAS the alarm. The alarm box under seat was VERY hot to the touch when not even running. Unhooked, it is now cold, and battery not dying after one day :)

Va, I always was a user... just that nobody ever noticed as it was shrouded in my niceness ! :D

Back