Can I ride back home safely?

Chitownbusa1991

Registered
Please please spare me the posts about how stupid I am for letting the tire get this bad. I lost my grandfather today and life has been extremely hectic and the few times I have been able to ride my busa I would just check the pressure and go and not very far either. I knew the tire was badly worn but I had no idea it was this bad. Infact I do obviously glance at the tire and I feel this is something that wasn't there before. The bike was sitting out in the sun for the past few days. Believe it or not i already purchased a new back tire with a rim already on it for a steal a month or so ago and today i was going to ride to my parents house to replace it. Because that's where I keep all my tools. That was until I came outside to this. See pic. The tire feels like it has a huge bulge down the center all the way around and you can see the mesh sticking out. I always kept the tire pressure and 39-40 but it seems like it might be overly inflated and is ripping itself apart. My question is. Can I somewhat safely drive the bike back to my parents house which is about 20 miles away. Any suggestions please. I'm not very rich and would hate to tow it with them being so close and me being able to fix it right away. It's very unfortunate this is my first post on here and i apologize.

20190710_163720.jpg

sorry for your loss first of all and I save you the "how could you let it get so bad".

No guarantee - but I think if you go slow you should be able to make it home safe if you really have to. But I wouldnt ride a tire like that at all. Your call...!

and btw... never heard about that a tire would rip itself apart - especially if you have the recommended tirepressure. The tire looks more like too many burnouts instead of the pressure being too high!

sorry for your loss first of all and I save you the "how could you let it get so bad".

No guarantee - but I think if you go slow you should be able to make it home safe if you really have to. But I wouldnt ride a tire like that at all. Your call...!

and btw... never heard about that a tire would rip itself apart - especially if you have the recommended tirepressure. The tire looks more like too many burnouts instead of the pressure being too high!

+1

I've never done a single burnout on the bike. Also do you recommend letting some pressure out of the tire anyways? I feel like that would be safer aswell. I'm just extremely dumbfounded due to the fact that although I'm not diligent about checking the tire I do glance at it before I ride and I never saw anything like this. Thank you again for your time.

I've never done a single burnout on the bike. Also do you recommend letting some pressure out of the tire anyways? I feel like that would be safer aswell. I'm just extremely dumbfounded due to the fact that although I'm not diligent about checking the tire I do glance at it before I ride and I never saw anything like this. Thank you again for your time.

check the pressure and stay within the recommended pressure range! I dont think changing the pressure would make it better! (probably worse!)

Believe you. The weight & TQ of these bikes will eat up a tire in one season. An okay tire will not hold up period. We may know a tire is on the way out but don't ride any differently & when you get on it passing cars or whatever the tire is spinning, smoking, laying down rubber since the demand is the same but the carcass is comprised more & more each spirited ride.

20170709_152609.jpg

Can I just say something here . . .
you really NEED to be more diligent in checking the tyres!!
Your life depends on those tyres, so please . . look at them hard, measure the tread depth with a tread depth tool ($3), learn about tyres and what to look for, how to care for them etc etc, plenty of youtube vids on that subject (Red Bull should be along shortly) and it's very very important to understand the mechanical condition your bike is in.
Rant over . . . sorry . . . :banghead:

it doesn't take a lot of tools to change a tire/rim. Can you get someone to take you to your folks place to get the tire/rim and bring it back and change it? On the other hand this didn't happen over night so you have been riding on it already. Just a matter of when the last mile is.

That tire should make 20 miles slowly to folks house. Thoughts...load tools in car with new rim etc and fix on the spot where it is?

I just want to say thank you to everyone who gave advice and for being extremely kind about it I'm a union ironworker so my brain made me try and make the trip riding the bike. I stayed in the right lane, took all the low mph roads and had someone follow me. I also do take full responsibility for it getting this bad. I kept saying I'd change it and now I can see why it's so important. I was also able to put on my new sprocket and rotor and brakes for the front and rear and I'm getting the new front tire mounted and balanced as we speak so I can take care of that in the next couple days. Again thank you all very much. I'm happy to be apart of this great group!

20190711_191100.jpg

Back