Can I Bypass Bad Gear Position Switch With A Tre?

BKing111

Registered
Ok Gents,Have an 08 BKing and it definitely has the bad gp switch and I can't afford to replace it right now.Been reading about the timing retard thingy and had a crazy idea.Do you think it would be possible to use a simple TRE and bypass the gp switch.I mean like use what ever size resistor it takes to mimic 4 gear and maybe use a dpdt switch to swap it to the neutral wire and back to the resistor.Also does anyone know what value resistor to use I have read its different from the hayabusa and yes i know how crappy tre's are but i think 4th gear map is better than the 6th gear map it uses by default.This will only be until i can repair it maybe a month or two.

Don't know, interesting idea, personally, I'd say no but I've no experience of that type of idea/work around, hopefully some one else will chime in, good luck.

I would not personally recommend it. The Busa uses 5th gear fuel map, the B-King uses the 4th gear fuel map to bypass the restriction. I think the resistor value on the Busa is like 6.8k ohms, but dont quote me on that. I dont believe this bypasses the gear position sensor, but simply uses the 5th gear map in 6th gear. You might be able to pull the plug and measure the resistance with an ohm meter, but unless you understand exactly what you are doing to the fuel map, the analog signal from the gear position sensor to the ecu, I wouldnt mess with it. If your GPS is failed, bypassing one fuel map for 4th gear wont fix it. But there are folks way smarter than I when it comes to things like this.

A TRE will do more harm than good.
They always eventually fail, and cause all sorts of gremlins.
Have your ecu flashed as an unrestricted Busa. Add a ram-air mod, and remove the mid-pipe butterfly (just unhook cables and servo, spring will hold valve in most open position).
I had a gen2 Busa, and a Bking. Doing those things to the Bking really wakes it up.
I've flashed 6 Bkings(couple dozen Busas), and mine, and have another coming now. Everyone is always really suprised and happy with the difference in the Busa, but especially the Bkings.
As far as the gear position sensor, just do it old school. Remember what gear you're in, and don't let looking at the dash to find out distract you from the road.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.But the gp switch was wacked.Could not get an OHMs reading but was able to find out the voltage range of 4th gear and 3.7 is right in the middle.Picked up a range of resistors and found that 2.5k was just about right so wired it to the ECU side of switch and 4th popped up on the dashboard.Took it for a run and man it pulls better down low and did not have any driveability issues I could detect.Sixpack I hear ya but this is so much better than when it was failing.Also it was cutting in and out mostly at the top of 3rd around 9500 sometimes 2nd,4th.I believe now this was the switch going out as the dash indicator was jumping all over the place and I think it was the 5th,6th gear restriction cutting in.I'll keep my eye out for those gremlins and try some of those mods you recommended and let ya know. Thanks Gene

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.But the gp switch was wacked.Could not get an OHMs reading but was able to find out the voltage range of 4th gear and 3.7 is right in the middle.Picked up a range of resistors and found that 2.5k was just about right so wired it to the ECU side of switch and 4th popped up on the dashboard.Took it for a run and man it pulls better down low and did not have any driveability issues I could detect.Sixpack I hear ya but this is so much better than when it was failing.Also it was cutting in and out mostly at the top of 3rd around 9500 sometimes 2nd,4th.I believe now this was the switch going out as the dash indicator was jumping all over the place and I think it was the 5th,6th gear restriction cutting in.I'll keep my eye out for those gremlins and try some of those mods you recommended and let ya know. Thanks Gene
A few years back the mfr sent me tech specs on the true/gear position unit. It stated that the tre/gear position unit responds to the ohm values from the sensor. So the sensor must be working properly to drive the tre unit.

I just had mine replaced, it wasn't that bad in cost. Or buy the sensor and replace it yourself. You'll be pulling the clutch to do it. I had a clutch kit put it at the same time. 86K on the bike. The mechanic told me my old clutches looked great. Oh well.

Sorry Marcair thats not how I wired this one up. Did not cut any wires I used two wires with small female pins that I stold out of an old computer.Crimped the bare ends of the wires to each end of the resistor with butt connectors and encased it in hot clue wrapped in electical tape.Now unplug the gp switch and there are 3 wires on the ecu side of the plug purple, black with white tracer and blue.The blue is neutral or voltage going in info going back to the ecu is the purple and black with white tracer these are the 2 that the ecu sees the gear changes on.This side of the plug has male pins so I just slide the female pins over them after crimping them down a little to snug them up tight and zip tied my little gizmo to a hose from the airbox and tucked the other plug from switch under some wire looms and taped it up. So far 200 trouble free miles.If your switch is still good you can run the resistor inline as you stated but mine was toast no ohms or voltage readings coming out.Did testing per service manual and remember this is a bking so wire colors may differ.Have a new air filter on the way when I get back in there I'll take some picks and post them for you guys. Cheers Gene

BKing111, you are suppose to take detailed pictures as you perform mods so we can learn .
one to grow on.jpg

New air filter on the way?
Have you done the ram air mod yet?
Now would be a good time if you haven't

Yes and no.Want to do the airbox mod,cat delete.ecu flash,wide-band o2,autotune.I want it All!Just don't have the funds.Oh well little here little there.I do have some sprockets on the way 17/46 should be interesting.Gear commander says thats a 13% reduction I know most bking guys go with 17/45 but I have so much room out here in the sticks and I keep finding myself way up there at the top of 5th.I just like doing roll ons from 2nd to 5th:race:.Figure this will knock down the speed some and be real thrilling in the lower gears :popcorn:R Evil plan to make up few more just in case and take some snaps for ya..There really cheap maybe 2 bucks for supply's.Just remember this is not like XTRE which is active and still shows what gear your in plus neutral.Its just a passive bypass that will fool the ecu into seeing whatever gear you choose depending on resistor value then the ecu sets timing, fuel and any restrictions for that gear.5th I believe for the hayabusa and 4th for the bking works good.Also gear indicator on dash only shows that gear and no neutral light if you bypass gp switch.Here is where I got a lot of good information .He has wiring diagrams and resistor values per gear and shows how to wire in a switch so you can choose between TRE and normal operation a la poor mans XTRE. Stay safe out there Gents. Gene

Last edited:
That's a very good article about installing the 15K resister in the line and how the bike is limited on power, in the lower gears but which wire is the resister attached too? Do you have the diagrams that are mentioned in the article?

Yes and no.Want to do the airbox mod,cat delete.ecu flash,wide-band o2,autotune.I want it All!Just don't have the funds.Oh well little here little there.I do have some sprockets on the way 17/46 should be interesting.Gear commander says thats a 13% reduction I know most bking guys go with 17/45 but I have so much room out here in the sticks and I keep finding myself way up there at the top of 5th.I just like doing roll ons from 2nd to 5th:race:.Figure this will knock down the speed some and be real thrilling in the lower gears :popcorn:R Evil plan to make up few more just in case and take some snaps for ya..There really cheap maybe 2 bucks for supply's.Just remember this is not like XTRE which is active and still shows what gear your in plus neutral.Its just a passive bypass that will fool the ecu into seeing whatever gear you choose depending on resistor value then the ecu sets timing, fuel and any restrictions for that gear.5th I believe for the hayabusa and 4th for the bking works good.Also gear indicator on dash only shows that gear and no neutral light if you bypass gp switch.Here is where I got a lot of good information .He has wiring diagrams and resistor values per gear and shows how to wire in a switch so you can choose between TRE and normal operation a la poor mans XTRE. Stay safe out there Gents. Gene

I'll flash your ecu to an unrestricted busa if you want, org freebie. I have a bench flasher, so don't need the bike here.
Have done couple dozen busas, 7 bkings, and have another bking coming now.
I had 17/46 and preferred 18/46 on my gen2 and bking.
Bking ram air mod is about $10-15 for the silicone hoses.
Removing mid pipe valve servo cables, holds the valve in most open position, so also free.
Big difference, and well worth doing.
PM me if your interested.

Disclaimer;Use this info at your own peril.I am not an electronics engineer or a certified mechanic and I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn.Don't want any of you hunting me down if your bike goes up in smoke:fire:

I'll flash your ecu to an unrestricted busa if you want, org freebie. I have a bench flasher, so don't need the bike here.
Have done couple dozen busas, 7 bkings, and have another bking coming now.
I had 17/46 and preferred 18/46 on my gen2 and bking.
Bking ram air mod is about $10-15 for the silicone hoses.
Removing mid pipe valve servo cables, holds the valve in most open position, so also free.
Big difference, and well worth doing.
PM me if your interested.
sixpack that is very humbling thank you for the offer I'll shoot you a PM later.

Fitted a 15k ohm resistor, as per your guide, will test tomorrow, will update then.

View attachment 1572413

View attachment 1572414
Cool hope it works good for ya.As long as your gear indicator shows 6th all the the time it should be good to go.Might want to wrap it in a little electrical tape if you didn't just in case.On the b king it idles a little lower in neutral until you pull in the clutch Don't know if its the same with the busa but if yours is cold blooded might want to hold it in for a minute till its warmed up.So far mine's been doing great.Picks up the front end just on the throttle now.

Back