Can anybody tell me about the new BELL helmets?

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
I've been browsin around the helmets, and I've come across BELL. I know they were big back in the day, but they kinda stepped out for a little bit. The most I heard from them were the bicycle helmets. ??? Then I hear that they're starting to sponsor car racers (true?). Then I hear that they've started to sponsor bike riders! Then I start seeing their stuff flood the market...and I have to admit, some of their stuff looks good. Especially the Star and RS-1 series.

Now what I'm particularly after is the safety aspect. I know they're DOT and SNELL certified, but I'd like to know a bit more. How well do they/would they hold up in a crash? Would they transfer an unhealthy amount of G's around the noggin? The prices on some of their lower end products are nice too...and they look pretty sharp!

I'm planning on getting a lid for the mouse to replace her old Icon Alliance, and she seems to be taking a particular liking to these. Now if these are what she wants, then I'll get 'em for her no prob...but I worry about the safety factor. I'm rockin a Rubatone Airframe right now, with the semi-new Airframe Manic on the horizon (I've always loved that graphic)...and if the BELL gets enough votes, it looks like I'll be rockin one of those too. I have to admit that after lookin at them, I kinda like them too. Something about the shape just really appeals to me...not to mention the graphics aren't too bad either.

So...talk to me, please. Whatcha folks think? TIA!

paul

I have a Bell Star Rally with the transition lense and I love it. It fits a little too snug but you can buy thinner cheek pads if you like. They are a bit louder than my Icon but I listen too my Bluetooth when riding so I just turn it up a little. As far as safety is concerned I dont know the answer and hopefully never will. I love mine and its the only one I wear now. Plus a got a sweet deal in the helmet and lense from Revzilla on Black Friday last year.

I have a Bell Star Rally with the transition lense and I love it. It fits a little too snug but you can buy thinner cheek pads if you like. They are a bit louder than my Icon but I listen too my Bluetooth when riding so I just turn it up a little. As far as safety is concerned I dont know the answer and hopefully never will. I love mine and its the only one I wear now. Plus a got a sweet deal in the helmet and lense from Revzilla on Black Friday last year.

+1
I have the Bell Star with the photcramatic shield too, and got it from Revzilla.
I'll have it 2 years in September.
I love it, and I've been wearing Shoei's for many years.
I wear a large Shoei, but had to send my large Bell Star back and get a medium(Revzilla is great about trading or refunding anything).
My Bell Star is also carbon fiber, but weighs only an ounce or so less than my last Shoei.
The cheek pads were a little snug at first on mine too, but it fits perfect now.
Ventilation is excellent, and therefore it isn't super quiet. It isn't noisy either, but no well ventilated helmet is quiet.
I wear earplugs unless I'm just running a mile or so up the road and back, so noise isn't an issue for me.
The aerodynamics of the helmet are also very good. No shaking or buffetting, and I can turn my head with ease.
The photocramatic shield(like transitions lenses for eyeglasses) is the best helmet shield ever. It changes from light to dark almost instantly, or anywhere in between. Riding from day to night and never having to change shields is great. Oncoming headlights or streetlights aren't an issue either. You see clear and without glare day or night, all the time, period.
Bell and Akumu are the only 2 helmet manufacturer's to currently offer this type of shield.
Every other helmet maker is an idiot for not offering them, the shields are that good.
The shields are also very difficult to fog. Mine will only fog for a moment occasionally in very cold weather(30's), or very high humidty/rain.
Shoei makes great helmets. I don't have an Arai head, and they have the worst shield changes of any brand. Several other companies make high end helmets too.
But Bell is definitely back and the Star is an excellent helmet, and I still wouldn't have anything else.
Even the helmet bag is top quality.
I also hope I never find out how good it is in a crash, but it's Snell rated and gets great reviews.
If you're considering it, buy one from Revzilla, there's no risk. Need another size or just don't like it, send it back.
Here's some pics from when I first got it.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/156082-bell-star-helmet.html

I heard a little about the new company. They are now made by an 'Italian' company, the article I read didn't say which one. I bought one for my granddaughter to wear when she rides with me. I got it through Justin, she likes it, it's comfortable to her.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

Something to read while you ponder your choice of lids. Thing about crashes and the protection you get the impacts are usually unique, I have crashed lots of time and my head never hit the road the same way twice. :laugh: Imo the impact that brings the rider to a sudden stop is the one you need to worry about

There was a long video or show where they actually rated lids by putting sensors in each of the lids and drop tested with dot/ece and snell test standard. and going a step further by dropping them on all 4 sides using a color graph to show how hard the impact was on the inside of each lid. Red/orange/ and yellow red meaning severe impact went through the lid, enough to cause possible trauma if a head was in it. It was even in a thread here not sure if I will be able to find it.

Bell Star with the photcramatic shield as well. light, crazy venting and well made. the noise really doesnt bther me.

I looked around for months a couple years ago and settled on the new Bell Star. I think it is a great helmet and it fit me in the same size as my old Star from 1985 7+1/4. I tried all the others but the Bell just fit my head perfect. I like the lightness and visor also. All the major helmets are good imo, just get the one that fits the best.

+1
I have the Bell Star with the photcramatic shield too, and got it from Revzilla.
I'll have it 2 years in September.
I love it, and I've been wearing Shoei's for many years.
I wear a large Shoei, but had to send my large Bell Star back and get a medium(Revzilla is great about trading or refunding anything).
My Bell Star is also carbon fiber, but weighs only an ounce or so less than my last Shoei.
The cheek pads were a little snug at first on mine too, but it fits perfect now.
Ventilation is excellent, and therefore it isn't super quiet. It isn't noisy either, but no well ventilated helmet is quiet.
I wear earplugs unless I'm just running a mile or so up the road and back, so noise isn't an issue for me.
The aerodynamics of the helmet are also very good. No shaking or buffetting, and I can turn my head with ease.
The photocramatic shield(like transitions lenses for eyeglasses) is the best helmet shield ever. It changes from light to dark almost instantly, or anywhere in between. Riding from day to night and never having to change shields is great. Oncoming headlights or streetlights aren't an issue either. You see clear and without glare day or night, all the time, period.
Bell and Akumu are the only 2 helmet manufacturer's to currently offer this type of shield.
Every other helmet maker is an idiot for not offering them, the shields are that good.
The shields are also very difficult to fog. Mine will only fog for a moment occasionally in very cold weather(30's), or very high humidty/rain.
Shoei makes great helmets. I don't have an Arai head, and they have the worst shield changes of any brand. Several other companies make high end helmets too.
But Bell is definitely back and the Star is an excellent helmet, and I still wouldn't have anything else.
Even the helmet bag is top quality.
I also hope I never find out how good it is in a crash, but it's Snell rated and gets great reviews.
If you're considering it, buy one from Revzilla, there's no risk. Need another size or just don't like it, send it back.
Here's some pics from when I first got it.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/156082-bell-star-helmet.html

+100 I have the same setup. I was lucky and got mine for half price. Someone bought it and didn't like the fit after trying it on once. Sold it to me for half price...still had the tags and stickers and helmet bag. The photochromatic shield is a must have! You're missing out if you don't have this on your Bell helmet.

I spent hours and hours researching helmets AFTER getting run over.

You never get to pick your crash senario. Too many variables.

Choosing a lid from a company that tests their products by dropping 500 pounds on them from a 10 storey structure and claiming the lid did not crack.Well,thats NOT a good thing. All of those G-Forces just instantly transfered to your brain. So you end up with a pretty face,but incredibly scrambled brains.

Choosing a lid made that will crumble in a 50MPH crash is a great idea(less transferable G forces)...unless you crash at 55 MPH.???

You can apply the same theory to cars with "crumple zone" technology. You want the car to crumple,it will cause you far less injury. The down side? If it crumples too bad...you get squished to death inside.

My honest opinion,cause I've been there and done that: If you never go above say 55 MPH,buy a helmet that will do a certain amout of crumpling.

If you blast around like an' insane person,throttle pinned, "Busa Speed" if you will,LIKE I DO... then choosing a lid becomes a rediculous endenvour.

I pick helmets for comfort and for looks.Why?

Because when folks jump outa tall buildings its not the fall that kills them,it's the sudden stop. :laugh:

Sweet dreams everyone.....:rofl:

RSD.

Interesting points all...even Rubb's. ??? :laugh:

When I'm rollin with da Mouse I'm rarely hitting 55...more often speeds are around 40-45mph, maaaybe 50. She's not a big fan of speed...so of course I have to keep her happy. Guess I'll be looking into the BELL helmets...the Vortex Attack looks pretty trick in red and white. And the Star Race Day Tricolore looks pretty sweet, too.

Sheesh...the Icon Manic will make it 3 helmets. ??? Guess I better start saving. Thanks everyone!!

I see Bell helmets at the track quite often and have heard nothing but positive things.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

Something to read while you ponder your choice of lids. Thing about crashes and the protection you get the impacts are usually unique, I have crashed lots of time and my head never hit the road the same way twice. :laugh: Imo the impact that brings the rider to a sudden stop is the one you need to worry about

There was a long video or show where they actually rated lids by putting sensors in each of the lids and drop tested with dot/ece and snell test standard. and going a step further by dropping them on all 4 sides using a color graph to show how hard the impact was on the inside of each lid. Red/orange/ and yellow red meaning severe impact went through the lid, enough to cause possible trauma if a head was in it. It was even in a thread here not sure if I will be able to find it.

I've been looking for that article for a while now since I didn't save it last time I read it, thanks.

I think people will be surprised once they read the test results.

Back