Can Am Spider

A buddy has a pair of em, they got the first when they were launched and the 2nd is on order for the spring. I rode his first one years ago, felt alot like a 4 wheeler on the street. You have to lean yourself into the corner a bit or you'll slide off to the outside. Its was decently quick and very comfortable. Definitely ride before you buy just to be sure your back is good with it, but I think its a great option to get you back riding again.:thumbsup:

PS-Bet you'll put your foot down the first time you stop in traffic:laugh:

have u ridden one yet? I followed behind one last year on some twisty roads and it looked to be the most unstable thing id ever seen on the street. they do look comfortable tho.

I looked at one for the wife about 2 years ago. State Farm quoted me about $400.00 dollars a year for full coverage. She did decided it wasn't what she wanted though.

I didn't like it too much but I felt a lot more stable than I expected. Just be warned it's not a motorcycle or a car. It also feels huge on the road. Part of the security you get on a motorcycle is the freedom of having a big road and being quicker than most anything on the road. On the spyder I felt pretty nervous giving up both those advantages.

We had one at the dealership I worked at. It was nice but does not feel like a motorcycle at all... You ride it more like a 4 wheeler and I'm not sure how stable it would be in higher speed turns.

I dated a gal that had a new 08. I had a blast on that thing and road it often. Its handled very well and I could really take the curves good on it. The new 2013 are suppose to be even better. I am going to test ride one soon to make sure its what I want. My wife is already talking about riding this summer :laugh: Thanks for the info

I dated a gal that had a new 08. I had a blast on that thing and road it often. Its handled very well and I could really take the curves good on it.

right....but how did the spyder handle??? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If anyone is interested in a Spyder, check with one of my sales guys on pricing :thumbsup:

Seen 1 at a bike night a while back it looked cool and I liked the reverse ability on it but i'm gonna have to test drive it before im sold :whistle:

Doesn't count as a motorcycle! I can't believe folks can get their endorsement with one. I'd take it for a test ride but no way I'd ever own one.

As stated before Blech!

Got one for the wife and she loves it she is only 5' so its perfect for her height as far as riding it feels kind of like a atv but rides better havent had any problems with her riding it and we hit the curves a lot but ride before you buy!

It's a snowmobile for the street...if you own one you're 90% a cager in my opinion. If it doesn't lean, its got no place with us motorcycles.

Edit: I guess I should be more specific as to why I feel this way. There are some cases in which I can see where a CanAm *might* make sense, most notably if you have some type of medical issue with a leg which makes holding a normal motorcycle difficult. I can also theoretically see why the Can Am could be more comfy for super long distance highway cruising. That said, I feel that it gives up far too much in terms of what makes a motorcycle enjoyable. The steering is abysmal in its feel and feedback, and is far too awkward to use safely in an emergency. The lack of lean on the chassis makes centrifugal force in turns an enemy rather than an ally. The Bike is too heavy to be a reasonably manuverable motorcycle, but is too light to be as substantial as even the lightest of cars. All of these things in the end leave you disconnected from the whole experience, and being that the whole point of motorcycling is to become one with your machine in order to have a fuller experience, it does exactly the wrong thing. It's also far too expensive for what you get; its not hard to find a bike superior in all regards for half of the price of one of these.

All that said, if it floats your boat, get one!

Doesn't count as a motorcycle! I can't believe folks can get their endorsement with one. I'd take it for a test ride but no way I'd ever own one.

As stated before Blech!

Sorry you feel this way but with my bad back I have run out of options I just wanna feel the wind when riding :thumbsup:

It's a snowmobile for the street...if you own one you're 90% a cager in my opinion. If it doesn't lean, its got no place with us motorcycles.

Edit: I guess I should be more specific as to why I feel this way. There are some cases in which I can see where a CanAm *might* make sense, most notably if you have some type of medical issue with a leg which makes holding a normal motorcycle difficult. I can also theoretically see why the Can Am could be more comfy for super long distance highway cruising. That said, I feel that it gives up far too much in terms of what makes a motorcycle enjoyable. The steering is abysmal in its feel and feedback, and is far too awkward to use safely in an emergency. The lack of lean on the chassis makes centrifugal force in turns an enemy rather than an ally. The Bike is too heavy to be a reasonably manuverable motorcycle, but is too light to be as substantial as even the lightest of cars. All of these things in the end leave you disconnected from the whole experience, and being that the whole point of motorcycling is to become one with your machine in order to have a fuller experience, it does exactly the wrong thing. It's also far too expensive for what you get; its not hard to find a bike superior in all regards for half of the price of one of these.

All that said, if it floats your boat, get one!
If I could I would have kept my 08 busa which I had for 5 years. It got to where I could not enjoy it anymore because of my back. Its hard for anyone to know what back trouble is until you go through it. That is something I would not wish on anyone. True I can buy a bike for 1/2 the price but I would still have the same issue.

If I could I would have kept my 08 busa which I had for 5 years. It got to where I could not enjoy it anymore because of my back. Its hard for anyone to know what back trouble is until you go through it. That is something I would not wish on anyone. True I can buy a bike for 1/2 the price but I would still have the same issue.

yeah, if you have a physiological reason that a traditional bike is difficult to deal with, I can totally get with that.

Back