Camshafts Question: Using Inlet Cam in place of Exhaust Cam?

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Hey everyone,
I need to pick your brains on a technical issue . . .
Has anyone here done the exhaust cam replacement, using an inlet cam in the exhaust position?
The reason I'm asking is that I have my cams at the cam regrind shop at the moment.
The shop called me and asked what spec do I want the cams ground to.
I asked for stock standard spec ( I will be going performance cams at a later date, just tidying the OEM cams up for now)
and the guy said he can do the inlet cam ok, but he doesn't have the exhaust cam profile on file in his computer, so will have to make a template, extra $184 template charge, on top of the standard charge per lobe.
Sooooo . . . to save some cash, I had heard of fitting inlet spec cams to both the inlet and the exhaust positions.

I don't want to get this wrong, so I need to know from my Busa bretheren if it is workable, and if so, what is the performance gain?
I realise I will need to Dyno tune my bike after it is reassembled, and I have a Power Commander 3 fitted at present so will be able to tune it for the new cams, so any help offered would be very much appreciated!

Intake cam on the exhaust side is a relatively cheap way to pick up a few ponies. If you're having cams ground custom, why not find the specs on the yosh cams and have yours ground to that? Seems pointless to go through the trouble of having them ground just to go back to a stock profile.

the gain is only 2-3 hp however a good dyno tune willgain you more with out the swap and if you are not racing it isnt worth the time nor effort

Ok, roger that, thanks for the input guys.
Mr Brown, I concur with the idea it is pointless, I was trying to save money but I definitely see your point.
I've been looking at the Yoshi Stage 1 Hayabusa cams 'in service' power curve on a dyno sheet and the gains are only in the upper rev range, right at the top, compared to the standard cams power curve.
I think I will bite the bullet and get a 'Performance Grind Stage 1', . . .
not Yoshi specs, but Kelford's own in-house specs. Extra $100, will let you all know the outcome, thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
the gain is only 2-3 hp however a good dyno tune willgain you more with out the swap and if you are not racing it isnt worth the time nor effort
You are right, I'm not racing, all open road riding using only mid range to 8000rpm tops.

Ok, roger that, thanks for the input guys.
Mr Brown, I concur with the idea it is pointless, I was trying to save money but I definitely see your point.
I've been looking at the Yoshi Stage 1 Hayabusa cams 'in service' power curve on a dyno sheet and the gains are only in the upper rev range, right at the top, compared to the standard cams power curve.
I think I will bite the bullet and get a 'Performance Grind Stage 1', . . .
not Yoshi specs, but Kelford's own in-house specs. Extra $100, will let you all know the outcome, thanks a lot! :thumbsup:
"Will let you all know the outcome" ..

What was the verdict?

Cam timing and other things like compression, big bore and stroke will give you more power down low. Bigger cams will help make power more up top of the power band

Back