Camshaft specs. stock and aftermarket

OB_Bob

Registered
I posted, in the General Discussion Forum- "More R&D with Frank", specs for the stock Busa cam and a few aftermarket ones.
Interesting posts in that thread as well.
But, I thought it would make sense to put it here too for future ease of reference and then additional grinds, as they come available can be added without 50 posts to go through.

All DURATIONS LISTED BELOW ARE AT .040"
Cam----Int dur.--lift--Exh. dur.--lift-LC's
Stock--240 deg--.345"--220 deg.--.294"-106/99
Yosh stg. 1
-------244 deg--.354"--230 deg--.307"-102/105
Web 536/577
-------250 deg--.378"--234 deg--.330"-112/109
Web 483/536
-------250 deg--.395"--250 deg--.378"-106/108
ALL THE ABOVE DURATIONS ARE AT .040" LIFT

$540 for the Web Cams, cores needed, no sprockets incl. for this price.
$700 for the Yosh, sprockets included., no core req'd.

Web claims some customers have obtained 200-205 hp using 2mm&3mm overbore(higher compression 13:1 and up). Still early though and more infor will come. No info. back on a stock bore motors, which is my interest.
Yosh claims 8-10 hp gain with stock pistons/pipe/remap, and have some cust's claiming 12hp.
Yosh is also offering connecting rods at $225 each for higher rpm and strength. Did not ask much more about them though, like their weight. I won't be changing rods anytime soon.
Looks like the Yosh and web 536577 may be good for stock bore/piston/head combo's with exhaust/remap/airbox. The other Web for serious big bore power and additional mods(head/valve work).

More info. on duration at different lifts is in the other post as mentioned above.

If other cams exist please post specs., and better yet--If you swapped cams, please provide feed back on what was done to the motor and bike and what was gained.
Looks like Suzuki left some room for the 1299 cc powerplant to strech her wings.

Bob

Bob I intend on checking with megacycle but have not done so yet...anyone else? I went with the webs due to the fact one of my friends is a distributor and got great price. We used megacycle on stroker 1450 FJ yamaha and megs were superior in that particular engine....but this isn`t a FJ is it......

Chris--Which grind did you select with web? and what else do intend to do? pistons, compression, heads, valves, etc?
This bike is ridiculous every time I stop and think about the power it has stock and where it can go?
People would have laughed at us if we claimed to have this power an weight 10 years ago.
Bob

I went with the 536-577 profile. I have a set of stock bore J&E`s ...1mm over on ex and int..will use ferrea valves...they have them in stock now...mild clean up on ports...match a few things...stock rods...I will not finish head until someone comes out with titanium retainers and good springs....won`t have to wait long...PM has them on the way...yes and you`re right it is crazy to want more HP but thats only human I guess....I`m in the middle of a frame polish job on a blue one...Frank is right what a pain in the a*#......

Yea Chris, "Dedication & Pride" don't forget that.

Also, Don't wear the same pair of shoes in your house that you've been polishing with! (Damn black dust! Get's everywhere..)

Frank, it will be a cold day in he#@ before I polish another one of these frames. I`m not a perfectionist but I do want it to look good and I now have around 8 hrs in it and am probably half done...what a mess....whatever someone charges for this its worth it...Without air tools I`d have no fingers by now.....the engine will be easy now!!

Chris, If you can see it, polish it.

You'll be glad you did later.

Take a pic and send it to Me so I can see where your at..

Hey,
Just order some cams from Yosh...whem the distritor call yosh,they reply that they have some set of cams in stock...So I paied the distributor the next day they are no longer available I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for them.

Erik

Erik G: Bob's been doing some research on the Yosh and Web cams and it appears that the smart money might lean towards the Web cam.

Save money and have added performance over the Yosh.

You might want to re-read his post at the top of this page and make your own judgement.

Frank

I posted, in the General Discussion Forum- "More R&D with Frank", specs for the stock Busa cam and a few aftermarket ones.
Interesting posts in that thread as well.
But, I thought it would make sense to put it here too for future ease of reference and then additional grinds, as they come available can be added without 50 posts to go through.

Yosh stg. 1
Web 536/577
Web 483/536

$540 for the Web Cams, cores needed, no sprockets incl. for this price.
$700 for the Yosh, sprockets included., no core req'd.

Web claims some customers have obtained 200-205 hp using 2mm&3mm overbore(higher compression 13:1 and up). Still early though and more infor will come. No info. back on a stock bore motors, which is my interest.
Yosh claims 8-10 hp gain with stock pistons/pipe/remap, and have some cust's claiming 12hp.
Yosh is also offering connecting rods at $225 each for higher rpm and strength. Did not ask much more about them though, like their weight. I won't be changing rods anytime soon.
Looks like the Yosh and web 536577 may be good for stock bore/piston/head combo's with exhaust/remap/airbox. The other Web for serious big bore power and additional mods(head/valve work).

More info. on duration at different lifts is in the other post as mentioned above.

If other cams exist please post specs., and better yet--If you swapped cams, please provide feed back on what was done to the motor and bike and what was gained.
Looks like Suzuki left some room for the 1299 cc powerplant to strech her wings.

Bob
Here's the specs on my cam grind from Kelford Cams here in Christchurch, New Zealand.

My motor has 112,000kms and is untouched, apart from the camshaft grind on the stock OEM cams, fitted from new.
I have not had it Dyno tuned yet, but intend to check the degrees of cams compared to the card with the specs.
Below is my specs on the grind I had done on my stock cams
Kelford Cams Stage 1 Perf Grind for Hayabusa.JPG

I managed to snag up a set of Yosh Cams on eBay a while back for less than $300 :thumbsup:

Knecum really liked em when I had him build my motor. Said they are a good street cam to run

I managed to snag up a set of Yosh Cams on eBay a while back for less than $300 :thumbsup:

Knecum really liked em when I had him build my motor. Said they are a good street cam to run
Wow . . great price on the Yoshi cams, I paid $380 to have mine ground to a similar spec, the tuning is really essential for these cams now.
Here's the specs.
Yosh stg. 1

Web 536/577
Web 483/536
Comparing the Stock and the Yoshis,
the Yoshis have on the intake 4 deg more duration and 9 thou more lift, the exhaust have 10 deg more duration and 13 thou more lift, quite different on the timing too, and did they increase low end torque on your bike or high end HP?
Did you have the bike Dyno tuned? Power Commander fitted and tuned?

Last edited:
Wow . . great price on the Yoshi cams, I paid $380 to have mine ground to a similar spec, the tuning is really essential for these cams now.
Here's the specs.
Yosh stg. 1

Web 536/577
Web 483/536
Comparing the Stock and the Yoshis,
the Yoshis have on the intake 4 deg more duration and 9 thou more lift, the exhaust have 10 deg more duration and 13 thou more lift, quite different on the timing too, and did they increase low end torque on your bike or high end HP?
Did you have the bike Dyno tuned? Power Commander fitted and tuned?

B5CCFB20-F125-4E0F-A1F1-3950043FFC32.jpeg

Gonna have to look at my thread to see what’s all done cause it’s a laundry list of things......
Street comfortable performance upgrades | Engine and Performance mods

Here's the specs on my cam grind from Kelford Cams here in Christchurch, New Zealand.

My motor has 112,000kms and is untouched, apart from the camshaft grind on the stock OEM cams, fitted from new.
I have not had it Dyno tuned yet, but intend to check the degrees of cams compared to the card with the specs.
Below is my specs on the grind I had done on my stock cams
View attachment 1598352
You do realize.......

.....this thread hasn't had a reply in 19 years right?

I like that dyno chart figures , I got a new set of stage 2 Yoshi for US$550 landed , and I have banked them for now .....
Mr.Brown , we are talking Yoshi cams bro , that conversation is always timeless !!:):rolleyes::thumbsup:
Indeed, but I'm pretty sure some things have changed in the meantime!

I think you're out of step Jeremy.
Fall in!
I dredged up that thread through a Google search on 'Hayabusa stock OEM cam specs', coz I wanted to compare the stock cams to the grind I had done at Kelford Cams.
I could barely contain my excitement when I saw the oRg web address come up with the search . . .
1556606158191.png

and yes, it's still relevant, that's why I posted it, in the hope that someone here would be interested in the technical info presented, and it appears a few are . . .
The video I posted re the dialling in of cams (degree-ing) I found extremely interesting, but that's my thing, all technical mechanical engineering subjects fascinate me.
I never went to University or any high educational facilities, but for some reason I can see the complete cycle of the four stroke combustion engine in my mind's eye, visualising the process, seeing the valves opening and closing at specific positions of the crankshaft degreed circle.
I've seen a few animated videos on this and that helped to really solidify the concept for me.
Has anyone seen the Yamaha cross-plane crank animation ? . .

Back