Camshaft specs. stock and aftermarket

I think you're out of step Jeremy.
Fall in!
I dredged up that thread through a Google search on 'Hayabusa stock OEM cam specs', coz I wanted to compare the stock cams to the grind I had done at Kelford Cams.
I could barely contain my excitement when I saw the oRg web address come up with the search . . .
View attachment 1598383

and yes, it's still relevant, that's why I posted it, in the hope that someone here would be interested in the technical info presented, and it appears a few are . . .
The video I posted re the dialling in of cams (degree-ing) I found extremely interesting, but that's my thing, all technical mechanical engineering subjects fascinate me.
I never went to University or any high educational facilities, but for some reason I can see the complete cycle of the four stroke combustion engine in my mind's eye, visualising the process, seeing the valves opening and closing at specific positions of the crankshaft degreed circle.
I've seen a few animated videos on this and that helped to really solidify the concept for me.
Has anyone seen the Yamaha cross-plane crank animation ? . .
the bottom line is... nobody should be telling anybody that they shouldn't post just cause its an old thread... we need as much participation as possible.... close the ranks.... post our asses off, and support the sponsors(verbally and financially)…. the sponsors support the org and the org has decades of info...… it must be preserved.... the sponsors could just advertise elsewhere, OR they could turn this site into a GIANT pond... trying to sell sell sell constantly... they don't do that, its very rare that any sponsors just come out and post up any particular product they are trying to sell... I know PH(in particular) has extremely high standards when it comes to integrity and honesty... sometimes I think that he is tooo honest, and loses money doing the right thing constantly.... along with spending sooo much time taking us behind the scenes on some of his outrageous turbo builds... the rocketman thread comes to mind... the sponsors don't have to do any of this.... but they do...they help people out constantly for free...….. all we gotta do is post post post… give the readers of the org something to read... that's why red posts videos all the time... that's why im always getting into arguments with arch(arch has a thick skin and can disagree with me without going absolutely crazy)... that's whats going on.. CONTENT

Last edited:
Its all good lads , we all are having a bit of fun is all . These old posts are good , and this very old post is very good + the @Kiwi Rider added content is relevant update . I think we all like a bit of fun and comment wherever and whenever possible , and some like to post pics......
Here is an example of that type of $h1t stirrer.....pic of stage 2 Yoshi cams.
IMG_20181024_141017.jpg

Its all good lads , we all are having a bit of fun is all . These old posts are good , and this very old post is very good + the @Kiwi Rider added content is relevant update . I think we all like a bit of fun and comment wherever and whenever possible , and some like to post pics......
Here is an example of that type of $h1t stirrer.....pic of stage 2 Yoshi cams.View attachment 1598385
Aaaaawwww man . . . those cams look sooooo good . . .
I'd like to see the specs of the stage 2 Yoshis, lift, duration, centreline etc, if you have the card with the info, please post it up Toadster!

Compared to my cams, the Yoshis have 1.6mm more lift and on Intake, 18deg more duration, on Exhaust 30 deg more duration!
Also, half the valve clearance specified, instant actuation!
These cams are very, very desirable Toad, and the price you paid was extremely reasonable in my opinion.

Notice on the Dyno graph, the Stage 2 power curve is below the stage 1 but then crosses over the Stage 1 curve in the upper rev range, same goes with the torque curve, interesting.
1556615151246.png

Looks like the Stage 2 would have less low end power initially than the Stage 1, more suited for racing by the looks.

Last edited:
Yes Kiwi , I think they might be pretty well all top end orientated . One of my tuners said they should be nice with the additional headwork , the other says the web cams he recommend might / would have been better for street . But they are beautiful billet pieces , and the price is AU$600 less than sellers over here !!. I wonder , are those specs are for the Gen2 Yoshi Stage 2 cam ? I have got the spec , I will check .

Last edited:
These are the spec for Gen 2 Yoshi cams , I will put them up , so we can reference anytime . Yoshimura make a Stage 1 and Stage 2 for Gen 2 Hayabusa .

Stage 1 Cams
Max lift in millimeters (mm)
Intake 9.5mm , Exhaust 8.7mm
1mm Duration
Degrees
Intake 249 degrees
Exhaust 235 degrees
Recommended Tapet Clearance in (mm)
Intake 0.20mm
Exhaust 0.20mm
Valve Cotter Seats part # 222-509-3000

Stage 2 Cams
Max Lift in millimeters (mm)
Intake 10.1mm
Exhaust 9.2mm
1mm Duration
Degrees
Intake 258 degrees
Exhaust 244 degrees
Recommended Tapet Clearance (mm)
Intake 0.13mm
Exhaust 0.23mm
Valve Cotter Seats part # 222-509-3000

Thanks Toad, you know the Busa has so much torque, losing a little as in the Stage 2 Yoshis would make little difference in the accelaration in the lower rev range, you would probably notice it but barely.
The top end rush would be mind blowing and intoxicating,
Hey, when you big bore your motor are you aiming for 200-205 rwhp?
Should be easily achievable with all the good sh!t you will be putting into it I reckon :thumbsup:

Thanks Toad, you know the Busa has so much torque, losing a little as in the Stage 2 Yoshis would make little difference in the accelaration in the lower rev range, you would probably notice it but barely.
The top end rush would be mind blowing and intoxicating,
Hey, when you big bore your motor are you aiming for 200-205 rwhp?
Should be easily achievable with all the good sh!t you will be putting into it I reckon :thumbsup:
Yes , I think the shorter gearing will mask it a bit also , the +4 teeth on the rear with the 200/55 I currently run . Still undecided on whether to actually mess with this motor at this stage , because it is so nice to street ride on my roads , and powerful enough for this purpose .
I like the thought of standard bore lightweight pistons , with any capacity increase to come from a stroker crank if I choose to increase cc . I am interested in ti rods , and a few other things , but things are on hold a bit , as I write actually . Mike has given me plenty of ideas for a build , I do need to decide eventually , but life's twist and turns sometimes take precedence over my toy lust .

Yes , I think the shorter gearing will mask it a bit also , the +4 teeth on the rear with the 200/55 I currently run . Still undecided on whether to actually mess with this motor at this stage , because it is so nice to street ride on my roads , and powerful enough for this purpose .
I like the thought of standard bore lightweight pistons , with any capacity increase to come from a stroker crank if I choose to increase cc . I am interested in ti rods , and a few other things , but things are on hold a bit , as I write actually . Mike has given me plenty of ideas for a build , I do need to decide eventually , but life's twist and turns sometimes take precedence over my toy lust .
why bother with motor work at all... I discovered this great product that I think added about 100 hp to my mustang.... bump up compression with NO MOTOR WORK ……….. 399.99 at auto zone.
1556633688783.png

lol.... its a joke man.... c'mon.... no such product exists.... but I GOT YA.... You know how us NY hustlers are.... I got 10 rolex watches u can buy also... want 1?
Ali, I was hustlin' YOU!! :poke:
Ya really think I'm dumb enuff to fall for the ol' "Can of Compression" trick?
One of the oldest tricks in the book, in the trade I work in lmao :p

ive NEVER seen anything like it..... lol... I thought I was being clever... its a damn good fake though.... no?
Lol, that's been around a loooooong time Loooooongshaft!
If it ain't a fake, whoever has the patent is one of the smartest con-artists EVER!!!

Reviving old thread. So what is the cam specs for Gen 2 factory cams? I can find Gen 1 specs but not Gen 2. Thanks

Back