Camera help...

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I'm thinking of getting a decent Digital camera... Nothing too expensive. I'm thinking $200 or below. Here's my criteria...

1: Must be digital
2: must be instant capture (by that i mean no wait for the pic to take after you press the button. I wanna try some action shots this summer, don't want to have a delay when the pic is ready now)
3: must be above 8 MP
4" Must have a decent zoom

I'm not looking for pro, but I want a good all around still camera. I'm tired of using my phone. lol

I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix L100... But I don't know if it is an instant capture design... Anyone with more experience on these have ideas?

i have a sony dig cam. about 2 years old. I love it. I am sorry but I do not remember the model or anything. I paid under 3hundred for it.

Pretty recently the zoom got stuck somehow. the pics looked like crap. I called sony and they said send it in. So I did and they fixed it for me for free. Just a couple bucks shipping. So I am pretty much sold on sony cams

Pocket size does not matter. I'd almost rather a bigger pro looking camera as I'm a big guy, and the small ones disappear in my hands. lol

Ben, Here's the deal. Do yourself a favor an spend say 500 on a decent SLR. I am in love with my Nikon D50 but the Cannon Rebel is just as good.

A pocket camera works great, some REALLY good. But in the end they are crap pocket camera's (regardless of price). Here's why.

When do you want to take a picture, well...probably when something is happening. Right?

Well, an SLR camera has near INSTANT start up, super brisk focusing and LOW power consumption. Say we both have a camera. You have a point and shoot and I have my d50. When something noteworthy happens, I can take probably 20 shots before your point and shoot even starts up. That has it's advantages. IMHO.

If your going to do something, do it right.

Respectfully submitted,
Chris

I would like a SLR, but I don't feel I use it enough to justify the $500 tag... Honestly, my $200 range is almost pushing it for how much I feel I'd use it.

find a used nikon p80 for 2-250, is is an incredible camera. I use one as a trusty backup just in case.

Here some samples from it, I would challenge all DSLR users to produce identical quality! (read exif to verify)

DSCN5428.jpg

DSCN5430.jpg

DSCN5429.jpg

DSCN5432.jpg

DSCN5437.jpg

DSCN5431.jpg

DSCN5433.jpg

Last edited:
find a used nikon p80 for 2-250, is is an incredible camera. I use one as a trusty backup just in case.

Here some samples from it, I would challenge all DSLR users to produce identical quality! (read exif to verify)

Dont let VaBusa see those pics... :laugh: great quality though :thumbsup:

I have a Nikon D80 SLR but it is too bulky to carry on the bike, I usually like to carry a small digital just because it is compact but I also want one that takes good quality hi res pictures. I just bought another Fuji...I really like the one I had so much I upgraded to a 10 mega pix....I got a deal at Cosco even though it was bright orange..Amazon has it about $15 less than I paid now. face recognition..takes two shots at once, one natural and one flash, image stabilization , video and more...but the one feature I wanted and like so much was the zoom was all internal to the camera so one grain of sand won't screw it up (I have lost a point and shoot like this) most point and shoots don't have this...they also have a waterproof one for about $40 more...read the reviews...I think it is great and have told a few friends to try one...they seem happy..

I would buy a SD card reader to go with it so you don't have to mess with the propritary cable and get a 4 mg card and that will give you lots of shots and video...

Amazon.com: Fujifilm FinePix Z30 10MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Orange): Camera & Photo

Waterproof...
Amazon.com: Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP 10 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Green): Camera & Photo

Dont let VaBusa see those pics... :laugh: great quality though :thumbsup:

i know you can get much better quality out of a dslr, i shoot with some high end Nikon equipment. I just think bang for the buck, you cannot beat this camera. and for most poeple there is little difference other than bieng able to change lenses which in this case looks to be not too important.

There is a lot of really great info on here so far for you, but another guy you might want to get ahold of is Bubba. I know from all the great pics that he posts up here and from personally viewing his photos that he takes some of the best shots i've seen from a non professional. He could even beat some of them!

Well, I've come to the conclusion of not getting one. For the speed I want, it'd have to be SLR, and I don't like that price tag... Maybe later when I got more money to throw at one, but if I get a SLR, I'll want lenses (I know me, LOL) then I'll have WAY more money in it than I intended.

Back