camera and lens questions

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Not sure what to look for in a lens (other than spend your money on quality). I'd like one that goes from 28 to telephoto (135-200, nothing to grandious).

The two I was looking at...

lens 1

lens 2

lens 1 has image stablizer, lens 2 has more telephoto apabilities. Any insight would be appreciated, thinking about the canon xti rebel.

Camera question, also been looking at the nikon D-40 and the D300
SHOCKED.gif
. The D300 being 4 times the price as the canon xti...is the d300 really that much better, it's only 12 mega pix vs 10 for the canon? Would the average photographer even notice the difference is it mostly for the serious professional?

I guess my question regarding the D300 is based on after getting an XTI am I going to be disatisfied and want more? Should I hold out for a D300 or is it just overkill?

I got a powershot about 4 megs and went with a powershot A630 (8megs) my current camera...wnat an SLR real bad.

One other thing, I was several row back taking graduation photos....the flash had no chance of reaching the stage and all my pictures sucked...very dark. I am assuming that an SLR with a "real" lens would let in more light and I should be able to take picutes indoor over moderate distance. I would probably need an aftermarket stronger flash, anyone with experience please let me know.

I have the 28-135 for my Canon and I like it a lot... for anything near 200 mm you want the 70-200F4L.. period! best lens for a Canon in the 200 zone... (unless of course you have the coin for the F2.8)but they are way more money.. if you only have money for 1 lens get the 28-135.. if there's any way you could possibly talk yourself into 2 lenses, add the 70-200 F4L

This sounds like a laundry list question considering the indoor graduation scenario you expressed dissatisfaction with.

I am a Nikon man; we are a dedicated bunch of enthusiasts.
If you have the coin to spend on a proper DSLR go ahead and buy the D300. All of the reviews have been excellent. Of course, a bundle outfitted with the stuff you need will run upwards of $2500. You sound like a budding pro-sumer and would benefit from the purchase of an advanced DSLR.

Regarding the indoor shooting deficiency of your current camera; the shooting mode and flash mode would give you better results but you would really need a tri-pod and steady subjects. If the subjects are moving forget about it unless you are using a HIGH-END lens of 2.8(max aperture) or better like a "1.4".

The D300 comes as a kit with the AF-S DX 18-200mm VR ED lens and that would be a great all-purpose starting point.

I would lean toward the lens with IS. My brother-in-law has that lens on his Canon 40D and it's NICE! I've been wanting to get that one for my XTi...

I have an XTI and use a 300 zoom. At full zoom the pic can get a little fuzzy and from what I hear the IS len should take care of that. Depending on what you want to do with your camera you may give thought to more zoom. here are some pics showing the difference between 135 and 200.
135 at about 30 feet away.

IMG_1819__Medium_.JPG

Back