Cam shaft help!!!!

IRDEATH

Registered
checking shim measurements and replacing as needed, reinstalled cam shafts per the service manual, everything is aligned cam chain on shafts 15 pins apart, above 3 on intake cam, above 2 on ex cam, reinstalled cam chain tension adjuster, everything is taught, but now when i use a socket wrench to turn cams by hand i only get maybe a half revolution and then i cant turn the cams anymore, i took cam shafts out, held cam shaft chain tight and used socket wrench and spun the chain around 3 or 4 times, put cams shafts back in and same thing happens again cant turn anything more then half a revolution, i used a little force the second time and just seems like the engine is locked up, any ideas, id like to be able to rotate the camshafts using the socket wrench before reassembling and starting the bike up. i turned the engine over about 7 times before i took the cam shafts out now that its back together cant turn more then half a revolution.......any ideas??????

Your timing is off!
Did you line up the marks at the starter cover?

yea, the line etched on the starter clutch with the slit in the threads of the valve timing inspection hole

well i gave the starter clutch another look and sure enough i somehow only saw the etched line on the inner portion of the starter, somehow i missed the one one the outer portion...whoops...thats what i get for trying to rush....im reinstalling the camshafts now and things should be good this time..

Double check your cam sprockets, too. You're timing can change a bit there, too, if you have adjustable sprockets.

the engine is back together and everything is turning smoothly...:thumbsup: I was just using the wrong notch on the starter clutch :whistle:....live and learn.

Your timing is off!
Did you line up the marks at the starter cover?
How do I line up the marks at the starter cover? Is it in the manual. I believe mine may be off. Any help would be appreciated.

image.jpeg

Back