CAM Question

McyMike

Donating Member
Registered
Want to put an intake cam in the exhaust.  My local shop asked me top find out if the intake cam has a different lobe profile than the exhaust, otherwise he said we could just advance the exhaust? So...??

Looking thru other posts I see a gain of "1HP" for this swap???  This true?   Not worth the $$ or effort if that's the case.

Mike,
I was thinking about the same thing 6 last summer.You will need at least one adjustable sprocket.

From what I have found the specs on the cams are:
Intake .346 lift 240 duration (@.040)
Exhaust .244 lift 220 duration

Be ready to loose a bit or torque on the bottom just dropping in the camshaft with stock pistons. APE offers a cam setup with a sprocket some of the sponsors here can fix you up with. Link

I decided if I am going to do it, I would go with pistons and camshafts better matched for an overall package.

Two intakes works well but get both adjustable cam sprockets to degree them the best...Ask Wolfman what he thinks of the setup....

GC

What gains are you seeing on the dyno that you can point to this cam combo? Am Ioff base about about a small loss in torque on the bottom?

(Professor @ Jan. 08 2007,13:24) GC

What gains are you seeing on the dyno that you can point to this cam combo?   Am Ioff base about about a small loss in torque on the bottom?
I haven't done this on a dyno yet,but ask wolfman the difference and he hasn't even had it tuned yet...The loss down low I have never heard of honestly..you tune for that when you dyno it.Wolfman talks like the bike is stronger all over,the way it is before the full exhaust or tune...pm him...Others that have dyno'd them without any other changes saw 7-8 hp gains..

Ive done and it, depending on the tuner, you can see as mich as 10hp out of it. Most usually get 5hp out of it!

For around $2500.00 I would go with the, 200 Horsepower Street Hayabusa Package. 200 horsepower from a Hayabusa using stock pistons and valves! Utilizing special 5 axis CNC head porting and stock Suzuki billet cam ground to Carpenter Race Engine's specifications, Complete with Clutch Fix, Air Box Mod and Power Scoops installed.

Anyone wants this service and along with a custom map let me know. We plan to truly beef up a few Hayabusa's in the next two months, we will post the before and after power numbers here. We send our engine work to Carpenters then bolt it back on and tune it.
super.gif

If I can get 5hp or a little more out of it I'd do it since it is time for a valve (shim bucket adjust ) anyway.

Decided to let Jesse Gatlin of Gatlin racing (St Louis) do the work next week. We'll get the cam in and throw her on the dyno and se what we get. I can tweak the NOS then too
biggrin.gif

i have done the two intake cam swap on the last 1397 i did, i only rode that bike once but it is very strong...don't know what the hp is since the owner is tuning it himself, using a wideband commander for data logging and a PC111 USB...

I've had a BDE exhaust cam in mine for almost 2 years now, it is almost the same grind as a stock intake cam. I saw almost 10hp gain after a good dyno tune. It is worth the money if you don't plan to build a full motor. I wish i had saved my money now and waited sicne i am going to have carpenter build my motor after i get back to the US.

Posted elsewhere...but results were sort of inconclusive because of dyno differences. Last dyno run was a year ago on a different dyno and RWHP was 167. With the intake cam in I got 172 RWHP. So a gain of 5 hp or so......but must take into consideration bike has gotten a little more "tired" with another year's hard use. Best guess this mod, with a good tune is worth about 7 - 9 HP on a healthy bike

Cost: about $400.00 for cam (used intake), slotted degree wheel, install, and dyno tune

(McyMike @ Jan. 22 2007,14:49) Posted elsewhere...but  results were sort of inconclusive because of dyno differences.  Last dyno run was a year ago on a different dyno and RWHP was 167.  With the intake cam in I got 172 RWHP.  So a gain of 5 hp or so......but must take into consideration bike has gotten a little more "tired" with another year's hard use.  Best guess this mod, with a good tune is worth about  7 - 9 HP on a healthy bike

Cost:  about $400.00 for cam (used intake), slotted degree wheel, install, and dyno tune
Could you provide contact # for your engine guy ? been looking around here for a while and only trust myself to work on it so far ! How did you find him ? thanks....

Back