cam chain

flyby

Registered
28k on motor of 01 when i bought it. motor sounded noisy, so i researched here and found a lot of threads about cam chain adjuster issues. so i bought a manual adjuster and installed it. the factory adjuster was adjusted all the way out and still wasn't taking up all the slack. motor is much quieter now.
my question is im wondering how much valve retardation is occuring with a chain this worn and if it might be affecting low end power. the bike seems strong off idle in any gear, and i can lug it around the mountains easily. seems to run just fine. i know retarded valve timing is good for top end power, but that is actually where the motor seems to be the softest. just wondering.
for reference, the bike will immediately power up in first gear, but will not power up in second. gearing is 16/40, and i weigh 180. don't know what busa's are supposed to do, but my turbo bird powers up on demand whenever, obviously.:poke:

The cams timing could be retarded because as you know, the chain does stretch over time. 28k isn't a lot of miles but if you are concerned, you might check the timing with a dial indicator and a degree wheel. If it is retarded it might be time to get a new chain and some adjustible cam sprockets so you can dial in the cams straight up. If you have the extra cash, get some aftermarket exhaust cams for some more hp through out the power band.

Back