Cam chain replacement guide gen 1 help!!

HayabusaHayes

Registered
Does anyone have any information on replacing the cam chain??
I’m a mechanic so I know my stuff but the service manual doesn’t have any information on removing the cam chain itself.
I’ve been riding this bike for a few months and It’s had the rattling noise since I bought it.
I thought it would be just the cam chain tensioner but the tensioner was maxed out.
Which means the cam chain is stretched.

The bike starts and ride fine but I don’t want to keep risking anything now that I know the factory cam chain tensioner is maxed out.

Does anyone have any information on replacing the cam chain??
I’m a mechanic so I know my stuff but the service manual doesn’t have any information on removing the cam chain itself.
I’ve been riding this bike for a few months and It’s had the rattling noise since I bought it.
I thought it would be just the cam chain tensioner but the tensioner was maxed out.
Which means the cam chain is stretched.

The bike starts and ride fine but I don’t want to keep risking anything now that I know the factory cam chain tensioner is maxed out.

My '99 has an APE manual tensioner, , and it has 112,000kms on it.
I'm going to replace mine very soon too, I also am a m/cycle/auto tech by trade and will let you know how it goes.
How many kms/miles on your bike?

T
Here's some good info on cam chain replacement and tensioners . . .
Reply #10 and #18 are good info
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=71453.0

Thanks for this.
I’m glad I don’t have to take off the cylinder head to change everything.
I’ll just have to play around with it to get the chain out.
Also the bolt on the starter clutch(I think that’s the right sprocket) that you use to turn the motor over. Will I harm anything by taking it off without the special tool??

I understand it only turns one way but I just want to make sure I’m not going to break anything by cranking on it.

WOW !!! I could never think of going this kind of difficult engine work or adjustment. You guys are amazing !!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
No, not amazing, just TRAINED . . . .
It's like anything, if you get taught the correct info and practice it, over and over, you get confident and good at doing it.
A bit like copulation :rolleyes: :lol:

T

Thanks for this.
Also the bolt on the starter clutch(I think that’s the right sprocket) that you use to turn the motor over. Will I harm anything by taking it off without the special tool??

I understand it only turns one way but I just want to make sure I’m not going to break anything by cranking on it.
There are two inspection bungs on the RH side starter clutch cover, remove them using the correct size allen SOCKET, not an allen key, it will be tight and you need an allen socket with a suitable length bar to avoid rounding out the internal hex in the bungs.
1540159983314.png

Then rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE until the marker in the upper inspection bung lines up.
If you look in the manual you will understand what I'm talking about.
Then check the marks on the cam sprockets are correctly positioned according to the manual.
Easy, well, sort of. . . . lol.

No, not amazing, just TRAINED . . . .
It's like anything, if you get taught the correct info and practice it, over and over, you get confident and good at doing it.
A bit like copulation :rolleyes: :lol:

Just like kiwi rider said.
You just have to put in a lot of training.
Once you get the hang of it you’ll never stop trying different stuff.
I’ve always worked on Honda bikes so this is my first Suzuki.

I replaced everything but my exhaust cam is not lining up.
I zip tied both cams, then barely rotate the engine until the chain slack is on the tensioner side.
Can you post a pic of the marks on the cams so I can see exactly how they look, also be sure to have the crankshaft position spot on with the alignment of the marks.
Are you absolutely sure you have the correct chain?

My '99 has an APE manual tensioner, , and it has 112,000kms on it.
I'm going to replace mine very soon too, I also am a m/cycle/auto tech by trade and will let you know how it goes.
How many kms/miles on your bike?
Can you give a quick explanation how you adjust the manual tensioner??

Back