Cam Chain Rattle

05LEBUSA

Registered
Any one know of any fixes for the cam chain tensioner, Im on my 3rd one under warranty. The rattling is gone for a little while, but then comes back. There has to be some alternative to fix this problem.

APE sells the manual cam chain adjuster for about $50.00. I can post a picture of it if you wish or you can PM me.
Brad

have you guys changed to the manual? I've heard good and bad things,and what do you do with the oil line that goes to the stock tensioner?

(05LEBUSA @ Oct. 23 2006,17:30) Any one know of any fixes for the cam chain tensioner, Im on my 3rd one under warranty. The rattling is gone for a little while, but then comes back. There has to be some alternative to fix this problem.
Are you changing it because of the rattle or has it failed
rock.gif

Busa's are known for noisy motors...it's NEVER going to be quiet for long
wink.gif

Closed the oil line with a bolt and a crush washer or a banjo washer. If you ride a lot of miles you will find yourself having to lift the fuel tank often to adjust the manual tensioner. (pain in the butt).

I've just moved back to the U.S. from Malaysia. I had an '05 Busa in Malaysia which I sold before moving. Last month I bought a new '06 LE Busa and the first thing I noticed was a metallic rattle in the engine -- a noise that I had never heard before on my previous Busa.

The Suzuki tech guru at the dealer listened to it and said it was nothing but a little cam chain noise -- no big deal. He said just ride it and don't worry.

Here's my question. How is it possible for one Busa to never make the noise and the other to rattle like crazy? If the parts are the same and the assembly is identical, there shouldn't be any difference. Right?

Let's get another controversy going: I have an 06 LE and my Dad and his friend also have 06 LE's. All three of them make that rattling noise. Kind of like loose ball bearing in the motor. My dad has taken his to 3 different dealers as well as to Suzuki's corporate headquarters in Brea and has been told by all parties that it is normal. Word amongst a couple of Suzuki techs is that all of the LE's were assembled at the same time and there have been a few engine failures, but they are not sure if the cause of engine failure among the LE's that they know of are the same. My buddy has the Red/Black 06 and his magically does not have the same noises that ours do. There is no difference in power amongst all 4 bikes though. Who knows what the problem is and if Suzuki knows they aren't saying. At this point I am just treating it like it's a normal noise and going about my business riding it. Hopefully this so called normal noise stays that way.

i have an 01' with 24,000 miles on her and there is no cam rattle. i don't understand why you guys are having this problem on the newer models. suzuki hasn't changed the engine to my knowledge. somethin' is not right for sure.
rock.gif

Thanks TLRBANDIT. That's just what I did NOT want to hear. We pay premium dollars for a Limited Edition bike and then find out that it has some inferior assembly characteristics.

If this issue is truly unique to the '06 LE owners, then we need to approach Suzuki as a group so they can't just shrug us off one at a time.

I'm not saying that the cam chain rattle is a critical issue; but I'd like to know why it is unique to this bike. Because if the '06 LE's were indeed assembled by a particular group of folks whose skills were inferior, then there may be other things we don't know about.

My mechanic, who is a mechanic for a Suzuki sponsored racer says that insiders are saying there was a "potential assembly" problem that affects only the LE model line as they are assembled together. His contact would not give him any facts other than to say they have numerous complaints regarding the LE models making noise, and that there are several LE's with blown motors. My Dad's friends LE has been pushed pretty hard, and recently dynoed stock at 157 hp and with mods it is at 165 hp, even though he has similar engine noises it still runs pretty damn good.

Nope, you are not going crazy. There are 3 LE's in California with the same noise. If I get any updates I will keep you posted. For reference, you may want to take your bike to a dealer and get the name of the tech inspecting your bike......just in case.

Each of us here has taken our bike to 3 different dealers and like I said, my Dad actually took his to the Corporate office. I called and registered my VIN with them just in case as well.

I can imagine that, if this is indeed unique to the '06 LE, Suzuki is really worried that this will turn into a recall issue. The fix is neither simple nor inexpensive. Moreover, it's bad publicity.

Maybe the threat of a class action law suit would bring out a little more forthright response from them?

Thanks TLRBANDIT for the inside scoop. I'm gonna do some more digging on my own. As I said, it's not the noise that bothers me so much as the idea that something wasn't done right at the factory. I want to know exactly what wasn't done right and whether there could be other repercussions down the road -- i.e. after my warranty runs out.

I documented each place I went to in writing and then got the service technicians card and attached it to my write up. Although I usually do my own service, just to be on the safe side I had the dealer do just an oil change but asked them to look into the noise. They had to write my request on the service order and the responded with the noise being a normal operatiing noise in writing on the service order. So, yes, I have it documented sort of.

I have an '04 and have had that noise from the day I bought it. I too was told it was just a normal noise of the engine from the dealership when I took it in for the first checkup.

Thanks HAYABUSA626. As you've seen this thread has shifted focus to the '06 LE bikes. Knowing that the symtpom shows up on other bikes is important; because it reduces the credibility of the hypothesis that the '06 LE's underwent a common, inferior assembly or part issue.

Frankly, though, I'm tired of technicians telling me the noise is "normal". If it shows up on some Busa's and not on others, there has to be a physical reason for the sound -- and a physical difference between the bikes. If parts are identical and if assembly technique is identical, then it's impossible for any difference to exist.

I need someone to tell me exactly why one Busa has a cam chain rattle and the adjacent bike does not. Fyi, I just sold my '05 Busa a few months ago. It never made this noise. My new '06 LE has it. You can't have a technician listen to one bike and then walk over to the other and say, "Oh, that's just normal". There is a real, physical reason -- and I'm anxious to know what it is.

I'm guessing that the real reason -- when some Suzuki rep finally confesses -- is that the cam chain tensioners are sourced from more than one manufacturer and a Busa's cam chain rattle (or lack thereof) is determined by where the parts came from.

That would explain why 05LEBUSA above can't get rid of the noise by just replacing the cam chain tensioners -- because he's getting the same faulty parts pulled off the shelf every time. The thing is, though, if Suzuki admitted to this, they'd have to recall every bike with the noise. Therefore, they issue a bulletin to all the shops, saying that the noise is normal and of no consequence.

As I said earlier, I would really just like someone to give me an explanation for the noise. Like popping knuckles ... yeah, it's normal, but there's still an underlying explanation for what causes the noise.

Exactly!

It is hard to believe nobody here has had this noise diagnosed as an actual problem if it does in fact apply to all Busa years.

How about some of the other 06 LE owners, are you experiencing any odd noises in your motor? It is especially apparent at idle, but it can be heard and felt all the way up to 3000 rpm.

lurk.gif

People here have had chain rattles, clutch clatter, engine knocks (my 06 does) and a myriad of other mysterious noises that have perplexed shops everywhere. That's the reason so many shops say that it is normal. "big block" Suziki's are noisy. Always have been. I run the p!ss out of mine and it has never gotten any worse.

Back