Cam Chain Rattle

Aftermarket exhaust
rock.gif

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 01 2007,11:35)
(rockadaous @ Jan. 01 2007,08
zzwhip.gif
) my brother rode my bike over the holiday and he couldn't believe the noise LOL  He rides a gixxer 1000

I've been to the dealer and they give me the it's normal song and dance.  It only happens to me after we've been out for a few minutes.  I can live with it as long as it doesn't bite me in the  butt after the warranty ends
Have you tried Full synthetic oil yet  
rock.gif
yes sir. royal purple

(bmbusa @ Jan. 01 2007,11:36) I have a 2002 and I don't have any noises besides the windscreen that I had already addressed. Oh, mine has 10K miles on it.
electrical tape around the outside should fix the rattle
wink.gif

You're a good mechanic because this kind of crap bugs you! Kudos to you on it and keep looking for your answer.

I'll submit to you, however, that the noise MAY not necessarily be bad, just different. My Busa is an '03 and it makes all kinds of noise and always has. I bought it used and it was one of my first concerns. The first time I had a guy work on it, I sat there with him in the shop and asked him that question first off. He said it sounds really good like it's running fine.

I stopped worrying about it and now, I rarely even notice it. I have a friend with an '06 LE who lives relatively nearby so next time we go riding, I'm going to listen to his and see if his sounds any different than mine.

In the mean time, if you've put 6,000+ miles on it, I have to believe that it's going to be fine, depending, of course, on when you last replaced that chain tensioner.

When you replace the tensioners, do they look damaged or worn? What about the chain itself? What about any spindles or sprockets or other items in the chain's path? Any odd signs of wear? What about the bolts themselves? Any bends?

Just brainstorming.

Good luck with that. If you find the cause, post up about it. I'd be curious to hear what it is.

--Wag--

(05LEBUSA @ Oct. 23 2006,20:30) Any one know of any fixes for the cam chain tensioner, Im on my 3rd one under warranty. The rattling is gone for a little while, but then comes back. There has to be some alternative to fix this problem.
Yep take (2) of these and call me when you can hear again
rock.gif
redcomprs2.gif

crazy.gif

AOL.com Images Not Available

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 01 2007,11:43)
(rockadaous @ Jan. 01 2007,08:40) yes sir.  royal purple
It did help to smooth the shifting...any change in the engine noise ?
shifting is cool and idles smooth. I ordered and installed the GiPro and it's even better. New exhaust in the works, so we'll see. If not I'm gonna pursue them change'n it out. Just for SAG

I also have an 06LE and it does have a lot of rattles compared to any of my previous bikes I was also told by the dealer that it was normal.

I've got an 05 LE, that only has about 7,000 miles on it now. It made a little cam chain noise at first. However after the initial 600 mile break in oil, I changed to 10w-40 Amsoil, and still had a little noise. Next oil change (in the middle of the Texas summer), I went to 20w50 Amsoil, and have not heard the noise since. In looking into the mechanics of the design, the Suzuki cam chain tentioner is a combination of hydrolic and mechanical design. A small oil hole in the tentioner presurizes a piston which is forced out and held in place by a rachet like rack with a spring loaded "Dog" that holds the extended tentioner piston in place. As the chain stretches the the oil presure extends the tentioner once again. Many car engines have this same design, which works fine, if the right oil is used, and changed to keep crud from stopping up the small oil suppy hole.

Hmmm......changed the 10w/40 Amsoil for the 20w/50 huh ??. I've been running the Amsoil 10w/40 for a while and wondered if I stepped it up if that might help a bit. Next oil change I'll give the 20w/50 a try.

Thanks !!.

Spudley
Las Vegas
05' r/b

"RUBBER SIDE DOWN ALL THE TIME !!!".

View attachment 924435

People here have had chain rattles, clutch clatter, engine knocks (my 06 does) and a myriad of other mysterious noises that have perplexed shops everywhere. That's the reason so many shops say that it is normal. "big block" Suziki's are noisy. Always have been. I run the p!ss out of mine and it has never gotten any worse.
I’ve had 2 gen 1 K3 models and they both rattled intermittently, my understanding is that the oil fed tensioner catches up and the noise subsides although my 1st one with 55k on did not, the one I have now with 42k on is intermittent. I’m doing a big service on it and I’ll strip the tensioner down to see if it makes any difference.

Back