Cam Chain Q???

01LANDROCKET

Registered
I have a 99 busa and have posted about this problem before.

My bike had a ape manual cam chain tensioner when I bought it and the guy I bought it from said it needed adjusted??

I had it adjusted and it still has a chatter/ ring to it about 2700/3000rpm???

It was adjusted by myself and a different mechanic two other times.

I was instructed by someone on here to put the stock back on. I got one off an 06 with 9k miles and it still seems to chatter, maybe worse!

Has anyone had problems like this and if so what did you do?

@What is the possible wrongs that is causing this, is my cam gears wore,cam chain about to snap, surely this is not normal.

I need to fix it and fix it right and I do have another Q but I will post a different thread for that.

Thanks for any help if you are a mechanic or have seen this situation yourself.

I replaced it with an 06 so recall is not an issue.

As for knowing for sure if it is the cam chain, when the manual tensioner was on there it would change with adjustment so thats what I figure but obviously I am lost.

The bike has 28,600

He has an updated tensioner.

"I was instructed by someone on here to put the stock back on. I got one off an 06 with 9k miles and it still seems to chatter, maybe worse!"
Yeah I read that lol.:rofl: Is that what the recall consists of? Just an updated tensioner, or was there more to it than just that? Perhaps the damage was already done to the cams?

One thing you might do is pull the tensioner off the bike. I would check how far extended the tensioner is. If it's fully extended you may need to have the timing chain replaced. My guess is that it's not the problem but it only takes a few minutes to pull the tensioner and check it.

Yes thats all the recall was. The 99 part in the parts list has been updated and is the same part number as all the newer bikes and the dealer says they show the recall was done before the bike left the dealership in 99 but you can beleive that if you want.

The Manual cam chain tensioner seems to have a lot of adjustment left when it is tight on the chain so I dont think its pushing the limits of the chain but???

I think I might just take it to a shop and tell them to have at it but I have had no luck with this in the past on any bike or problem, I usually end up shelling out a shoot load of money and still have some form of the same problem I had in the first place.

Thanks

Yes thats all the recall was. The 99 part in the parts list has been updated and is the same part number as all the newer bikes and the dealer says they show the recall was done before the bike left the dealership in 99 but you can beleive that if you want.

The Manual cam chain tensioner seems to have a lot of adjustment left when it is tight on the chain so I dont think its pushing the limits of the chain but???

I think I might just take it to a shop and tell them to have at it but I have had no luck with this in the past on any bike or problem, I usually end up shelling out a shoot load of money and still have some form of the same problem I had in the first place.

Thanks

Just to clarify. It is not possible that the full recall was done in 99 because there were two recalls for the CCT with two different designs. The first recall is just as dangerous as no recall. The question is did you have to tap an oil line to run to the new CCT? If you did then you have the latest and greatest part. Also note that the guide design was changed as well as the CCT.

If you do have the latest CCT its possible that it wasn't adjusted correctly when it was installed and it is about to "Click" over to the next adjustment range in a few miles. If it seems like the noise is getting louder over time then I may be right.

Last edited:
O.K. Do any of you guys know if I need to pull the head to replace the actual guide that puts the pressure against the chain.

I am going to replace atleast the chain and the bar/guide that puts tension on the chain and am not sure about if I need to pull the head or not.

I can see in my manual that the bolt for that guide is accessible bu pulling off the starter cover but will it remove through the top or does the head have to be pulled first???

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Cant remember from memory, but I dont think its possible. Could always try. Just pull the valve cover and loosen the bolt on the guide see if it comes out. Cam removal would be necesary as well. Would be so much easier this way, hopefully thats the case.

What is the best replacement cam chain and does anybody know what it takes to replace chain. My mechanic is backed up and I am sure I can tackle it as long as the cams do not need removed. Is this a simple operation, I noticed the chain is much diff from a regular drive chain but does it still take the basic chain tool to remove and replace??? Where can I get the cam chain if anyone knows of a good place for the best aftermarket chain? How do you set timing on these bikes? LOL I am lost but I think on the right track finally. Thanks again for your replies.

Last edited:
Back