Cam chain adjuster

Busabike

Registered
Got a year 2000 model Busa. At 14000 miles the adjuster decided to release it self while slowing down for a roundabout & boy did it do some damage to the top end. Had that repaired under warranty, no probs. Have now done another 14000 miles, took it in for "another" service and just been told the c c adjuster is faulty again. Still under warranty. Seems like they only last that sort of mileage.
Question. Has any of you Busa Dodes had the same sort of problem?.

sly.gif

My freind busa dropped a valve or two! Suz fixed it and two weeks later had a recall on them. I had mine changed and have not had any problems. You might get a aftermarket adjuster? Good luck.
devil.gif

Had my Busa since Apr 99 and had to suffer all the growing pains that go with it, one such prob was not one but two recalls to replace firstly the original cam chain tensioner with a modified one, then within two months another recall to replace the modified tensioner with a completely redesigned one.
The reasons given at that time was that weak spring in the tensioner would let go (usually on throttle off) without any prior warning (Knocks, Rattles etc).
The tensioner that replaced the replacement was a Locking type and has given no prob . So it might be worth comparing the mechanics of the faulty tensioner with the new fitted one in case it was a modified one not a modified modified one!!!

Thanks TJFAST for the info on the valves. Had a word with the shop about that and they seem to think there isnt a problem. Thanks again.

Also thanks to CLAYTON. The shop has ordered a new adjuster. All parts and labour are being carried out under warranty. Hope this is the end of all the problems and I can get some more miles under my belt.
Thanks guys.
ernaehrung004.gif

Just a suggestion.  After they get it back together have them put it on a dyno.  When I bought my 2000 they did the recall before I could take it home.  I later found out the the cam chain was one tooth off.  And I was told that it was easy to do.  The only way I found out was that I had an accident and had them dyno it to make sure everything was running right. That is when they found out it was only making 125hp instead of the 158 it has now.

aktion035.gif
Does anyone know wich timming chain tensioner is best for my 00 busa. I only have 6,500 miles on my busa and want to change my tensioner before I have any problems,but I need to know which one,and where to get it!

THE REDESIGNED ONE OR THE SECOND RECALL IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE USING ON THE 01 AND 02 SINCE I HAVE HAD MINE CHANGED I HAVE'NT HAD ANY PROBLEMS FROM THE ADJUSTER I WAS DOWN ON POWER AFTER THE SHOP GAVE IT BACK TO ME BUT I COMPLAINED AND HAD THEM DYNO IT, IT WAS ONE TOOTH OFF SO TRY TO DO A BEFORE AND AFTER DYNO RUN IF YOU CAN ALSO SUZUKI HAD A RECALL AND IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD IT DONE THEN IT IS ON THEM TO DO IT FOR FREE GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for all the feedback. Ive now got the bike back and for the first time in a long time the engine feels totally drifferent. It seems to have a lot more power on tap and also a lot more engine breaking,so perhaps the cam chain has been out by one tooth for a long time.
As soon as I get a chance I'll take it for a dyno test to make sure.
Once again, Cheers guys.
ernaehrung004.gif

If the chain was off and now it is right you will definitely feel a difference.  This is the before and after dyno run from my bike.  The chain was one tooth off from the day I bought it and only making about 115 hp.  But now its fixed and putting out 158 hp at the rear tire.
dynorun.jpg

busabike,
Did you have the new oil-damped ratchet-type cam chain tensioner (at the 28,000 mile mark) when the dealer told you it needed a new one?
I just posted 'blown motor' which it seems the chain jumped a tooth (at 31,000 miles) with the oil-damped ratchet-type cam chain tensioner.

Back