Calling you paint and body folks...

Monty

Registered
Hey all,

I'll be getting a new car for work soon (2005 Yukon) and had a question for you paint/body folks.

I've had several people tell me that I should not use any wax or polish on a brand new car as the paint has not cured fully yet.

I'd like to get after it and really shine her up while the paint is brand new so I can keep it looking sharp.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there a period of time I should wait or can I get right after it?

Thanks,
Monty

while I really can't help you here, I've heard about letting a car's paint "cure". I think it was something like 6 months.

I guess in the meantime you can get a paint sealant to protect the paint until you can start getting into the detailing and stuff. Paint sealants usually last about 6 months.

Don't know if this helps, but I tried.
biggrin.gif

As me anything about shaving the twins, though, and I'm all over it!
laugh.gif

As me anything about shaving the twins, though, and I'm all over it!
laugh.gif
The twins are supossed to have hair? Damn....I was shavin just cause it tingled....

Thanks for the tip dude, sounds pretty similar to what my buddies are saying....but it's also a work car so I'm not down with dumpin a whole lotta coin in it either...

Tingled? WTF?
laugh.gif

Paint sealant shouldn't cost all that much. Then again, if it's the company car, why dump coin into it?

Monty .. generaly the "dealerships" have let the vehicles sit around some yard..or inpound area... for a x-tended lenght of time ...prior to shipping it to a "dealership" .. so I'd tend to think the paint.. is "cured" by the time ..of "delivery" to said --> Dealership ..so < I have to say it > ... Wax on !! n ... Wax off ! <--anutha fav-0-rite movie sayin ..
laugh.gif

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine...he used to run a detailing shop here on the island and was a salesperson for Lexus.

He said that it should be fine. If anything, he said he thinks it should be ok, but just to be sure, he said you can check with the dealer. When he was working at Lexus, they would always wax and polish the vehicles. They never said anything about paint curing.

Just FWIW...
cool.gif

Generally the claim it takes 500 hours for paints to cure fully..I think that figures to 20 days...Get the Zaino and go for it..

Hey all, FWIW I emailed Sal Zaino and got an interesting reponse back today. Basically the long and short of it, in his opinion, is that the paint is chemically cured within 48hrs after application. He saw no reason not to put his product on a factory fresh car and has done it hundreds of times with no ill effects.

Now, I have to convince myself, and my better looking half, that I should spend the coin on Zaino for a work car....dunno bout that one, may just have to use McGuiars or something.

Thanks everyone for the responses..and Pac, disregard the tingling comment if it's keeping you up at night...
biggrin.gif

by the time a new car hits the dealership, the paint is no less than 2 weeks old on average.

the only time to be careful is a car with fresh body shop paint, depends on the type of paint too.

When a car is brand new you may run into a problem with waiting (check the build date). I did work in a detail shop for a couple years and it does hold true for cars coming from a paint shop more than the factory. With shipping/transit time involved with new cars it really should not be an issue.

Back