Called MC Mustang from my bike today

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Shawn called me today and I missed his call, while riding home this afternoon I touched the screen on my Garmin and there was Shawns name in my contacts from my phone. I touched his name and ring ring there he was, we started talking and he was on his bike too. So both of us were riding on our bikes and talking on our cell phones to each other and it was crystal clear.... Ya know 10 years ago the technology was just way out there to talk on the phone while riding a bike.....

Cool stuff !!

cap

I love my Scala Rider too
beerchug.gif

So what % of your reaction is distracted when doing this...
Are you telling me that you cant talk and ride at the same time... When I was a cop I had to drive with one hand and talk on the radio with the other. The problem with people driving cars and talking on the phone is that they dont exert any extra attention to the things around them. What % was taken away, absolutely none.. I chose when and where I touched the screen on the phone to dial and I never had to take my hands off after that. Tell me that you never take one hand off the bar to relax and get your circulation going again!

And we complain about the cagers doing this and now some of us are guilty of the same crime
The same question to you... talking on the phone isnt the ultimate great evil, no more than guns kill people..... People who talk on phones while driving with a cigarette in their hands or a book or who text and spend more focus on the phone or radio are the problems... When I talk on the phone or listen to music I have complete focus on the task at hand which is riding the bike, not changing channels or texting.... Are you telling me that your so single threaded that you have to spend all of your energy focusing on keeping the bike between the lines, you have no extra ability to multi task while being safe?

Pleeeeeeeasse !!

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
rubber2burn @ May 28 2008 said:
1431258[/ATTACH] PM]
And we complain about the cagers doing this and now some of us are guilty of the same crime
The same question to you... talking on the phone isnt the ultimate great evil, no more than guns kill people..... People who talk on phones while driving with a cigarette in their hands or a book or who text and spend more focus on the phone or radio are the problems... When I talk on the phone or listen to music I have complete focus on the task at hand which is riding the bike, not changing channels or texting.... Are you telling me that your so single threaded that you have to spend all of your energy focusing on keeping the bike between the lines, you have no extra ability to multi task while being safe?

Pleeeeeeeasse  !!
It is not that I can not multi task just saying the more distractions you introduce into the equation the more you put yourself at risk. Same goes for cagers it is funny though we all have posted up threads about the cager on the phone that almost hit us and now we are doing the same thing and yes talking on the phone or listening to music while riding is a distraction and sometimes people get caught up in the moment of a conversation or a song and next thing you know make a lane change and hit a car or another cyclist. Do not get me wrong I am not trying to be up on a soap box or talk down to you in any way hell I am guilty to of listening to my Ipod while riding. Just try and minimize what you do while riding and do not over task

zzwhip.gif

very cool...i've got my cell phone attached through bluetooth to my Chatterbox on my helmet and to a hands-free device in my cage, both have mics and speakers...i also have an MP3 player on the bike and a radio with satellite in my cage...if i can't handle it on the bike, i shouldn't have them in the cage either...if we are going to go that far, all of the parents need to leave their kids at home when they are on the road, the little screaming brats are a much bigger distraction than a phone or radio that i can mute!!!!! just my 2 cents
laugh.gif

Pretty cool, Cap! I can call ya from my bike! I won't be moving, but I can call ya!
laugh.gif

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
rubber2burn @ May 28 2008 said:
1431739[/ATTACH] PM]

Pleeeeeeeasse  !!
It is not that I can not multi task just saying the more distractions you introduce into the equation the more you put yourself at risk. Same goes for cagers it is funny though we all have posted up threads about the cager on the phone that almost hit us and now we are doing the same thing and yes talking on the phone or listening to music while riding is a distraction and sometimes people get caught up in the moment of a conversation or a song and next thing you know make a lane change and hit a car or another cyclist.  Do not get me wrong I am not trying to be up on a soap box or talk down to you in any way hell I am guilty to of listening to my Ipod while riding. Just try and minimize what you do while riding and do not over task
The answer is that your consciously aware that cell phones and music CAN BE DISTRACTING so you make an extra effort to not get caught up in the tunes or conversation. The difference in me and soccer mom or 16 yr old sally is that I realise that talking on the phone can be problematic and that listening to music can make me think of other things... Being aware that the gun is loaded and treating that way is important, vs just picking one up and aiming it at someone else. The gun never became more dangerous it who's hands the gun was in and what state of mind... I feel the same way with the bike, as long as you dont forget that you can be distracted you can adjust properly.

cap

rant.gif

zzwhip.gif

Well Captain I see where you are coming from, because you were a cop I wont argue if you were distracted I think you should also run for governor as you will argue a point, if it works for you. Now when johnny comes up n hits you because he was on his phone but read your post and now beleves he is a **** rider if he can not multitask......I am not starting shi... but you know what a distraction is cap..... and we would flame othere for the same posts and say you contradicted yourself from one to the other =Phone is not distracting-- next post It is distracting but I have been properly traind as a cop to do it..

Well Captain I see where you are coming from,  because you were a cop I wont argue if you were distracted I think you should also run for  governor as you will argue a point, if it works for you. Now when johnny comes up n hits you because he was on his phone but read your post and now beleves he is a **** rider if he can not multitask......I am not starting shi... but you know what a distraction is cap..... and we would flame othere for the same posts and say you contradicted yourself from one to the other =Phone is not distracting-- next post It is distracting but I have been properly traind as a cop to do it..
Please dont compare me to Lil Johnny or Sally or Soccer mom.... I dont have a problem at all with a person using their cell phone as long as driving is priority number one and talking on the phone is number 2. Most of the people that you and I see talking on phones, putting on makeup and reading the paper are so oblivious to the consequences of poor attention that they have forgotten job 1 is to drive the car, everything else is just extra......

When I ride riding the bike is most important, keeping an eye around me and making sure I dont get run over. Doing these things doesnt take all of my mental capacity and as long as I remember what is most important Im sure I will be fine...

I worked in public service for too many years to run for office..... I have no patience for politics, I just try to do the right thing all the time, not the poplular thing.

Cap

Not to start an arguement at all but I am sorry to say it doesn't matter what you are doing, if it isn't 100% driving there is room for error....No matter who you were or are you are breakable. Anything you are doing besides driving takes up a % of your brain and concentration and not to mention your reflex time. I am a mother of 5 and can definitely multi task but I definitely don't try to take on my kids, driving, and radio at the same time, you don't ever know what is going to jump in front of you . Safety is priority and I know that being a police officer at one time you know this.....I am sure you would given me another ticket if you had pulled me over and I told you hold on while I finished the call and then removed my helmet to talk to you.

Priority is safety and fun.....You don't have any need to sit on a phone and BS....

Back