~~ caliper rebuild ~~

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Greetings,

In my ongoing quest to keep dirt under my finger nails I picked up a set of used calipers from mofuggahere (sp)

As he stated, they were filthy. The fronts came apart easily but the rears would not break free.

Since I did not want to dig out 10 feet of storage for my drill press I decided to use a hand drill. Bolts are soft so it did not take to long BUT the threads on the back half were, well, some what drilled out.

Not wanting any worries down the road I put a feeler out for just the rear half of the opposing caliper. BigBSBusa came through with that part for shipping only. Buy a beer if there is any money left!
laugh.gif

So the first picture is of the rear. Not finished yet but painted first coat.

wink.gif

104_0449.JPG

When removing the front caliper pay attention to the service manual. Use air to push out the pistons. The smallest will come out first due to it's size.

Use a small "C" clamp and hold it in place. Proceed to popping out the rest.

"USE CAUTION..COVER PISTONS WITH RAG"

They will fly out and could in fact, hurt you or someone else!!!
wow.gif

Golden Child sent me the rebuild kits. Thanks Daniel.

Here they are painted.

wink.gif

104_0455.JPG

You will need a pick set to remove seals. Out of all the tools in the box I use these the most.

wink.gif

104_0458.JPG

Coat the new seals with brake fluid and install. There are a total of 14 per caliper.

Keep things as clean as possible.

wink.gif

104_0460.JPG

The finished caliper.

I used my Color-Rite touch up pen to highlight the Tokico.

Titanium caliper bolts will really set it off!

Have to touch up the other side. VHT caliper paint might be high temp but it does not like brake fluid.

runeight...

104_0462.JPG

maybe I should do this on the side?
laugh.gif

$65.00 just for seals. $8.00 for paint. Two days in the shop. (off and on)

runeight...

(dadofthree @ Jan. 24 2007,18:27)
lurk.gif
use antisieze on the bolts when you put it back together. Might help.  
all_coholic.gif
usually do with titanium bolts and others. Spark plugs in truck were coated when changed.

The rear caliper was frozen solid. Bolts are soft and rounded out. On one side it snapped an SK hex ball socket!

No other choice but to drill.

runeight...

Looks very nice Run... I've contemplated taking mine apart so I can powder coat them (more resistant to the brake fluid). Just waiting to find a set for sale so I can reduce down time.

Charlie

(CAT3 @ Jan. 24 2007,19:44) Looks very nice Run... I've contemplated taking mine apart so I can powder coat them (more resistant to the brake fluid).  Just waiting to find a set for sale so I can reduce down time.  

Charlie
I was going to PC them but there is so much overspray when doing so.

There are a lot of moving parts in the calipers and I wasn't sure how the job would turn out. If you do a set let me know how they turn out and I'll send a set to you disassembled.

runeight...

Back