Caliper lettering

shade

Registered
I’m having my calipers (ABS) powder coated. The coater won’t do the raised lettering a different color. Thoughts on the best way to color the lettering?
I’ve been trying to research painting over a powder coat finish but nothing decisive. What about plastidip the lettering?

For reference it would be the red lettering
2013-suzuki-hayabusa-brembo-brake-jpg.jpg

You could probably take pencil/paper and put it on the caliper and rub the side the of the lead against it to get a carbon copy of lettering. You can take that to a decal shop with a overall lettering length and they can cut you some overlay decals in any color you'd like.

What color calipers you going with? You found rebuild kit for new seals and dust boots? I just got my SLC calipers done in Prismatic Illusion Orange

IMG_20180703_145818.jpg

IMG_20180708_142117.jpg

Get a brush and paint them. You might need to touch up 1/year but no big deal. I wouldn't sand or nuthin, just paint. I've done touches to my bike like this. It holds up well. If paint's not out in the elements, it holds up pretty good. Calpiers are in a place that will take a beating from flying road debris but those raised letters are about as easy as it gets for painting. Red will look way better than all gold.

I've seen valve covers where they powdercoat and leave the lettering face bare. I can't remember the sequence, but I think they do it between spraying it and baking it maybe.

I didn't use a rebuild kit. Very carefully pulled out the seals and reused them. I used a paper towel. Rolled it up. Folded it in half.
At the halfway point make it flat.
The flat part dipped into paint and dabbed onto lettering. Worked great.
Black lettering made it turn out good

20180723_131704.jpg

20180723_131715.jpg

I've seen valve covers where they powdercoat and leave the lettering face bare. I can't remember the sequence, but I think they do it between spraying it and baking it maybe.

All the powder coaters around here wanted nothing to do with prepping letters like that. All of them just wanted to spray them once and done.

They came out good! You have more patience than me, those boots were a SOB on mine, seals I could have reused but went ahead and got all StopTech stuff anyways.

Boots? Watcha mean?
the seals came out fine. I looked around for new seals and Suzuki in their all knowing wisdom only sell seals with pistons. Looking further I saw some seals on ebay new but i wasnt too fond of this idea. Maybe they were good quality? Where did you get replacement seals? I'll order some for future use. Getting the pistons out was not fun.
i ordered some speed bleeders for the front...one of them was faulty. Took me forever to find where it was coming from. Initially thought it was leaking past the seals.

I have zero experience with motorcycle calipers, short of removing them and changing lines, but never paid attention to the piston area so definitely could be different. On the SLC's calipers, when reassembling the seals go into the area where the piston goes. Then the dust boot goes on/around the piston and then drop the combo into the caliper opening and the boots fit into a groove around the circumference of the the piston opening. I didn't take pictures of them installed, but here's the seals and dust boots stacked per caliper. I tore a few boots getting them out, but my patience lacks at times. :)

IMG_20180708_121138.jpg

Ah dust boots....
Yes that was such a PIA.
Simple way - put a screwdriver into the slot running down the middle of the caliper.
put 15psi through the caliper to pop the pistons so they hit the screw driver
remove the screw driver
finish pulling the pistons out
Pulling the seals and dust boots was the easiest part. Small flat headinsert it under the plastic rings and gently run under the entire seal. should pop out.

Thanks for the card - helpful!

Anytime, OPS were kind of a random find, it's a pain to find a name brand rebuild kit for these calipers. They were awesome to deal and very helpful. Just gave them the part numbers off mine and they cross referenced them with StopTech. Price was cheaper than I expected, think it was little under $120 for boots/seals for 4 calipers.

I used a pieces of stacked wood to get it enough so they'd come out to be able to grab. Unfortunately all my pistons came out solo, so had to remove the boot and then the seal. Seals came out easily, but boots didn't...granted they're sort of press fit in the caliper and I was using a small flathead to get them out and failed at a few.

You don't have to answer, but curious what they charged you to blast and powdercoat each caliper? Mine were $50/caliper, which I was thrilled with since they say on the site it's $75-up per caliper.

$50 a caliper as well. I did have to bitch at them when i got them back...they didnt tape off the piston holes so well. Overspray where the seals go. Had to spend 2 hours and some acetone to remove all the overspray.

Damn i just noticed your boots and seals are much different than mine.
I have a 13 with Brembo. The seals are much smaller both seal and dust boot.

$50 a caliper as well. I did have to bitch at them when i got them back...they didnt tape off the piston holes so well. Overspray where the seals go. Had to spend 2 hours and some acetone to remove all the overspray.

I was completely afraid of something like that happening to mine when they were getting done. Glad you were able to clean them up though.

You may have missed it but those brembo calipers are for my Superlite Coupe (SLC). Definitely bigger stuff, but if ever needed specific size seals/boots down the road and OPS should still be able to hook you up

Back