Caliper bracket to close to rotor

Tripp-N

Registered
I have a 2001 Hayabusa 1300. I replaced everything in the swing arm and finally putting it all back together. Ran into maybe a problem with the caliper bracket. It’s almost touching the rotor. The spacer is in the right side, is there another washer that goes in there to move the bracket further away?

perhaps the caliper is dirty inside
the dirt in the grooves in the brake caliper (and on the back of the rubber ring) presses the rubber sealing ring of the piston onto the piston´s surface, which means that the piston is no longer as free as when everything is pedanically clean
disassemble the caliper completely, make a deep cleaning and the problem should be solved.
(is due approximately every 30-35,000 km)

but remember - sometimes you can hear a very little noise of "touching pads" - a very quiet grinding
this is normal - the clearance between pad and disc is usually only around 5/100 millimeter
so as not to make the brake pedal "way" too long.

front and rear = same clearance, same probs with dirt (at the gen1´s front)

perhaps the caliper is dirty inside
the dirt in the grooves in the brake caliper (and on the back of the rubber ring) presses the rubber sealing ring of the piston onto the piston´s surface, which means that the piston is no longer as free as when everything is pedanically clean
disassemble the caliper completely, make a deep cleaning and the problem should be solved.
(is due approximately every 30-35,000 km)

but remember - sometimes you can hear a very little noise of "touching pads" - a very quiet grinding
this is normal - the clearance between pad and disc is usually only around 5/100 millimeter
so as not to make the brake pedal "way" too long.

front and rear = same clearance, same probs with dirt (at the gen1´s front)
I guess I wasn’t clear enough when i explained. The the 2 bolt holes of the bracket where the caliper bolts to the caliper. Not referring to the pads touching the rotor.

If I recall correctly, on my Gen 1 there is a spacer on each side. One of them can be missing or in backwards. Disassemble everything and start again. Take pics as you go, each step. Makes reassembly mush easier. Is your chain alignment off too?

Gen1 rear wheel has a spacer on each side. The caliper bracket is between the wheel spacer and swing arm. Take pics. If needed I will disassemble mine and take measurements and pics for you

If I recall correctly, on my Gen 1 there is a spacer on each side. One of them can be missing or in backwards. Disassemble everything and start again. Take pics as you go, each step. Makes reassembly mush easier. Is your chain alignment off too?
Chain isn’t on yet. Both spacers are in
Gen1 rear wheel has a spacer on each side. The caliper bracket is between the wheel spacer and swing arm. Take pics. If needed I will disassemble mine and take measurements and pics for you
Here is a pic from top of rotor looking down. The caliper bracket is touching the rotor and support arm is not aligned. I’ve looked at pics everywhere don’t see what I’m missing. The spacer is in both sides.

6A58766F-07C3-4F25-9631-AAD531B98D02.jpeg

Chain isn’t on yet. Both spacers are in

Here is a pic from top of rotor looking down. The caliper bracket is touching the rotor and support arm is not aligned. I’ve looked at pics everywhere don’t see what I’m missing. The spacer is in both sides.

View attachment 1615221
Also if I turn the
Your bracket is in backwards

View attachment 1615222
Is that washer between the spacer and the bracket? I tried it the way and the axel won’t slide thru it. It locks up in the bracket when the threads are half way thru.

Washer? No washer there. The wheel has the spacer in it, then bracket to swing arm

9F4C67A5-29C8-406B-9179-5DD7693EA4BF.jpeg

4B7FD9CD-7BF8-4039-8F23-E5A9E099807A.jpeg

0C4059B1-C458-4EF7-A5E1-C3DB6DEF7FA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Washer? No washer there. The wheel has the spacer in it, then bracket to swing arm

View attachment 1615223
Bracket lines up now, thank you. The position the axel is In now the bracket is tight on the axel and won’t go any further. If I move the axel the bracket moves. I’m sure I’m don’t beat it thru. Any suggestions? I’ve gotta be missing something really stupid.

B4340167-336E-4AA3-B9D5-5FF494DB0722.jpeg

D00B6187-098C-4F58-BC50-7587151FE03E.jpeg

Back