California Road Trip: Hayabusa Diaries

If I remember correctly (it's on a post here, somewhere), @GAmedic got something like 14,500 mi out of his Mich's (I think they were PR5s). If I get 10k total off these I'd be satisfied, anything more would be a surprise. But I'm planning 2 more canyon run trips this summer, and it's SoCal, so it's hot (one of the runs is near Palm Springs), and pavement type can make a difference, but the tires look healthy enough, and I won't mind going into debt for another set if it's < 10k before they wear out. Love these tires, and when I'm rich, I'm moving up to the Q4s.

Yes. Estimated mileage round trip was 1,289. Actual was 1,307
I don't have any pics of the tires before leaving, but here's what the rear looks like now with 3,566 miles on them. Hope this helps.

View attachment 1602101

View attachment 1602102

View attachment 1602103View attachment 1602104View attachment 1602105
Those don't look bad at all for that mileage considering most I read was saying they would be used up in about 3k. I thoroughly watched and read @GAmedic review and might see a pair in my future but I just haven't liked the feeling of the Michelin I have now which is just a plain pilot power and I know the one set of dunlop I had on my old srad actually gave me the confidence to lean it more and more. Appreciate the pics and info sir.

the cover leak is common . The rubber stator wire plug does it .when you get home take fairing off / clean cover / rubber plug . then coat plug/wires coming out of plug with coat of Black RTV silicone . RJ did it to real early when he was new 4 years ago

20190726_180346.jpg

20190726_180335.jpg

Hard to tell from these shots if that's where the stator leak was coming from, but it's clean now, applying silicone this weekend. Thanks @c10!

@pashnit, @WuzzaCBXRider, and anyone else ...

Sherman Pass Road, from Hwy 395 West through the Sequoia NF and eventually Hwy 99.
Paved.
Anyone here done it? Next on my list
View attachment 1617738

I looked at that some time back and asked Tim (Pashnit) if he knew whether or not it was paved and he said no. Either end is paved but not all the way over the mountain. They shoulda cut a road over Mt. Whitney! Heading north on 395 or 99 the first thru pass is 120 inside YNP which has always been the last pass to open after winter. Now with Covid restrictions, suggested or otherwise, it’s doubtful 120 will open early. I’m just hoping CalTrans will open 108 and 4 sooner than later (they could open them now as there’s very little snow even up top.

Last edited:
I looked at that some time back and asked Tim (Pashnit) if he knew whether or not it was paved and he said no. Either end is paved but not all the way thru the Park. Heading north on 395 or 99 the first thru pass is 120 inside YNP which has always been the last pass to open after winter. Now with Covid restrictions, suggested or otherwise, it’s doubtful 120 will open early. I’m just hoping CalTrans will open 108 and 4 sooner than later (they could open them now as there’s very little snow even up top.

Because it might possible to traverse the range 3 times! W thru Sherman Pass, E on Hwy 120, then W again at 108.
Planning it now

Because it might possible to traverse the range 3 times! W thru Sherman Pass, E on Hwy 120, then W again at 108.
Planning it now

If you want to really zig zag over, try 120 then 108 then 4 then 89/88 then 50 then 80. :D I did 120 then 108, spent the night in Sonora, then 4 and back over 89/88 on a weekend on my 79 CBX.

Back