Calibrate Fuel Gauge?

AdvoBusa

Registered
Anybody know how to calibrate the gauges? I think my fuel gauge is off. Ever since I bought the bike the gauge has said full but I can look in the tank and see its not. I know when I had my Gen 1 I could but not sure if same way works on Gen2

Thanks in advance

Not much you can do but bend the rod the sender float is attached to. All gen 2s read full until you use up about a third of a tank. I highly recommend you leave it alone. What really matters is how accurate it is when the tank is almost empty. My light comes on with exactly one gallon left. Then I know I have between 40 and 50 miles left depending on how I ride.

Try this, ride your bike until the light comes on then refill immediately. You should take around 4.5 gallons.

Lastly, get in the habit of resetting your trip odometer every time you fill up. That way you get a good sense of your range. I go max 210 miles between fill ups. I got caught too far away from a gas station once and rolled in on fumes at 250.

Like you, when the gauge reads 1/2 full/empty I want 2.9 gallons left in the tank. I have adjusted every busa I've owned (Six total). All six registered full way too long before the needle moved and by the time it reached the 1/2 mark the fuel light was not long to follow. I adjusted the float by bending the float rod up until I found the sweet spot. It only takes a jiffy to pull the float up through the filler, tweak it and put it back. Usually took 2-4 adjustments to get it right.

I have no idea why I wanted that dang gauge to be nuts on accurate. But where ever those other five busa's are, the fuel gauge is nuts on! :beerchug:

I have the exact opposite problem on my Gen 1. It only started a couple of months ago... Even at a completely full tank, the gauge reads down about 1/8th of a tank. When the gauge says I have less than 1/4 of a tank left, in reality there is still 1/2 tank left. There was one time when it dropped from above 3/4 to where the light came on in about 30 min of riding. I thought I had sprung a leak or something until I got to the gas station and found a 1/2 tank left.

I always reset the trip odometer as well. I start looking for a gas station about 190 miles. My fuel light comes on when I have 1.5 gallons left and when the needle is at empty I still had a half gallon left.

I do find my self getting nervous when I see the odometer go to 230 miles. I start to think about how many hills I went up and how much of a throttle jockey I was.

Man I must sing horrible bc it still didn't work...lol

Still must be tricky or a science to it, it was easy on the Gen 1

I always reset the trip odometer as well. I start looking for a gas station about 190 miles. My fuel light comes on when I have 1.5 gallons left and when the needle is at empty I still had a half gallon left.

I do find my self getting nervous when I see the odometer go to 230 miles. I start to think about how many hills I went up and how much of a throttle jockey I was.

LOL...i do exactly the same...mates can't believe that the Busa gets so far on a tank...as for the gauge i treat it as a general indication and i'd rather know the low end is reasonably accurate.

Back