Cafe Racer Pt.5 starting to look the part

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Well, everything is off the bike and now it can start growing into a cafe racer. It's kinda fun taking stamped steel brackets, hoses, wires, etc. off knowing the new version will not need that stuff.
Only 5 miles from me is the west coast headquarters of Summit Racing....what a candy shop! I got all the stainless lines and fittings this morning....that'll take a while to "replumb" the Busa.
The way the bike's profile is now (pics below) really affirms my dream of creating the "cafe" look. Way easier to create an image in my head when the old parts are gone. OK, this is just an update, now back out to the garage! Doyle

P1020978.JPG

P1020979.JPG

P1020980.JPG

cafe bike? i dont know this reference. any help?

Really? OK...."Cafe Racers" were a set of mods that started in the 60's in Europe and caught on in the US in the early 70's...where naked bikes were given clip on handlebars, exhausts, upgraded brakes, etc. It was quite a cool global movement. I've done 6 or 7 of em myself. (look up "cafe racer" on Google).
My project is to create a modern cafe bike (Busa) that celebrates that early motorcycle genre. Busas can be made to look beautiful without plastics and now I finally get a chance to make one happen! Doyle

Well, everything is off the bike and now it can start growing into a cafe racer. It's kinda fun taking stamped steel brackets, hoses, wires, etc. off knowing the new version will not need that stuff.
Only 5 miles from me is the west coast headquarters of Summit Racing....what a candy shop! I got all the stainless lines and fittings this morning....that'll take a while to "replumb" the Busa.
The way the bike's profile is now (pics below) really affirms my dream of creating the "cafe" look. Way easier to create an image in my head when the old parts are gone. OK, this is just an update, now back out to the garage! Doyle

Looks good. Can I get some more pictures of your table?

Looks good. Can I get some more pictures of your table?

You bet, since this is my thread, I have no problem jacking it from myself! I made t5he table and absolutely love it, lumber from Lowe's and ramp+chauk from Harbor Freight. No nails, all screws with pilot holes before screwing. Also, notice that I have adjustable tackle from ceiling joices to stabilize the bike (especially if you need to take off the swingarm!).
Now, about my cafe racer! Doyle

P1010088.JPG

P1010321.JPG

P1000962.JPG

P1000955.JPG

P1000953.JPG

P1000926.JPG

P1000924.JPG

P1000923.JPG

Part 5? This is the first I've heard of this project.

Got any pics of the bikini fairing and tail section you plan to graft onto this girl?

Here is a pretty good reference for a modern cafe.....

Boy, that thing looks like it was carved out of solid aluminum! No disrespect intended....but my Busa is going to murder the likes of that big twin!

Part 5? This is the first I've heard of this project.

Got any pics of the bikini fairing and tail section you plan to graft onto this girl?

AJAY, the earlier posts of the project are called "from the ashes" if you wanted to to read more....they're all within the first 5 pages of Gen Bike Related Topics.
As to the front....I plan a custom mount for the Busa speedo/tach unit and dual black headlights. I may later install a small cafe style windscreen but not at first.
Re: the rear...HotBodies undertail with traditional Busa hump. I want the dominant features of the Busa (the side profile of the hump, the big circular look of the Busa frame, etc.)to coexist with clear "naked bike" features(no plastics, no stamped steel parts that would be fine under plastic, no visible coolant reservior, etc.). Some "streetfighter" applications make the viewer think, "nice, but when is he going to finish it?" I want to leave no doubt in the viewers mind that this Busa is a complete and fully thought out motorcycle. Doyle

Boy, that thing looks like it was carved out of solid aluminum! No disrespect intended....but my Busa is going to murder the likes of that big twin!

No offence taken....just giving a frame of reference for the member who didn't know what a cafe was and thought this was a good starting point for classic form in a modern package.

No offence taken....just giving a frame of reference for the member who didn't know what a cafe was and thought this was a good starting point for classic form in a modern package.

No, I knew that, just couldn't pass up an opportunity to verbally flex some Busa muscle!
BTW, it just occured to me....how much dam weight am I taking off this puppy!? That's a whole new point of conversation. Doyle

Ok, I think I understand now. Think we were using different terminology. Cafe racer is kinda the same thing as a street fighter kinda style? Think I understood it like that from the posts in here. Either way sounds like you have something that will be completly different than what people are used to and it will look great too.:thumbsup:

love the balanced look of this one.... I got a feeling this is going to be one bad busa derived street ride...

162041d1255307828-cafe-racer-pt-5-starting-look-part-cafe-racer.jpg

Back