CA integrated taillight assy problems

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Shibumi and I seem to be having the same problem with our Clear Alternatives integrated tail lights. I am posting pics with mine. You can't tell it from the pictures, but when the brake is on the LEDs that under the black circle in the center (double column) flicker. I am contacting the source of supply as soon as I finish typing this to see if I can get it resolved.

Don

tailweb.jpg

(usn04limited @ Oct. 17 2006,18:37) Shibumi and I seem to be having the same problem with our Clear Alternatives integrated tail lights.  I am posting pics with mine.  You can't tell it from the pictures, but when the brake is on the LEDs that under the black circle in the center (double column) flicker.  I am contacting the source of supply as soon as I finish typing this to see if I can get it resolved.

Don
My buddy has had 2 of them that went out on him and I hade a one go out on me too. Personally everyone I seen run them they flicker especially over time.

Hopefully, I can get it resolved. If I can, the only option I have is to buy an undertail this winter. That $$ was tagged for having the forks re-sprung and re-valved.

Don

Seems to me over time the leds may have cold solder joints. Or there is not enough resistance in the circuit and the leds are going bad.

(grabntwist @ Oct. 17 2006,23:25) Seems to me over time the leds may have cold solder joints. Or there is not enough resistance in the circuit and the leds are going bad.
+1 - I was thinking the same thing.

LEDs, properly installed, should last a looooooong time.

It doesn't look like these boards are wave-soldered; they look to be manually soldered. Hard to tell without examining the solder joints and/or pulling each LED out and testing it.

The Navy trained me as an Submarine Radioman (extensive electronics training) and I can build the damn thing myself. I am; however, like most of us a bit on the "buy rather than build it" side of life. I may just use thier design, go to radio shack buy the board and resistors, order the LEDs online and build it myself. The first thing I am going to try is to get CA to warranty the thing. If I have to build one myself, I will live with this one for another month until the weather prevent me from riding at all.

Don

Back