CA integrated taillight assy problems

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Shibumi and I seem to be having the same problem with our Clear Alternatives integrated tail lights. I am posting pics with mine. You can't tell it from the pictures, but when the brake is on the LEDs that under the black circle in the center (double column) flicker. I am contacting the source of supply as soon as I finish typing this to see if I can get it resolved.

Don

tailweb.jpg

(usn04limited @ Oct. 17 2006,18:37) Shibumi and I seem to be having the same problem with our Clear Alternatives integrated tail lights.  I am posting pics with mine.  You can't tell it from the pictures, but when the brake is on the LEDs that under the black circle in the center (double column) flicker.  I am contacting the source of supply as soon as I finish typing this to see if I can get it resolved.

Don
My buddy has had 2 of them that went out on him and I hade a one go out on me too. Personally everyone I seen run them they flicker especially over time.

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Hopefully, I can get it resolved. If I can, the only option I have is to buy an undertail this winter. That $$ was tagged for having the forks re-sprung and re-valved.

Don

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
Seems to me over time the leds may have cold solder joints. Or there is not enough resistance in the circuit and the leds are going bad.

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
(grabntwist @ Oct. 17 2006,23:25) Seems to me over time the leds may have cold solder joints. Or there is not enough resistance in the circuit and the leds are going bad.
+1 - I was thinking the same thing.

LEDs, properly installed, should last a looooooong time.

It doesn't look like these boards are wave-soldered; they look to be manually soldered. Hard to tell without examining the solder joints and/or pulling each LED out and testing it.

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
The Navy trained me as an Submarine Radioman (extensive electronics training) and I can build the damn thing myself. I am; however, like most of us a bit on the "buy rather than build it" side of life. I may just use thier design, go to radio shack buy the board and resistors, order the LEDs online and build it myself. The first thing I am going to try is to get CA to warranty the thing. If I have to build one myself, I will live with this one for another month until the weather prevent me from riding at all.

Don

Most likes - Past 7 days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cpt_Caveman