CA Gas Tank Question?

OB_BUSRYDR

Registered
The gas tank for the California Busa holds 1/2 gal. less than all other models. Can anyone tell me what the differences in the make up of the tank is? Internal construction?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Seems to me that the neck just extends down a bit deeper. I just take my time at the pump and slowly add fuel. I seem to be able to add 1/4 gal after initial topping. Some pumps are better than others at allowing this, some blast the fuel out and these will make a mess. Local shell can dribble it in. Extra 2 min spent adding fuel this way could mean the diff between riding or pushing.

Could also be s slightly different contour to the bottom of the tank to clear the PAIR valves and the evaporative emission system.

I don't know for sure, but I'd go along with Mike Morrison theory, I think it has something to do with CA emmisions, as to why the tanks smaller!

I have been told that the difference is in the filler neck. My CA bike has a little shelf about 1" down inside the tank, and then the tank itself, it almost looks like a liner inside the tank, of steel. This is where the vent hose collects the fumes from the gas tank to send to the charcoal cannister. Apparently it is equal to 1/2 a gallon.

Back