C mode dangerous?

stonedpirate

Registered
Am wondering whether i should start out in c mode or just stay in a.

I am afraid that i will get a feel for the bike in c mode but when i change to a, i will have my habits set in c mode but bike will behave differently leading me to death.

Is that a valid concern?

What do you plan on doing in A mode that will be different then C mode? Why not ride in A mode normally and put it down to C for stuff like wet roads and such?

While there is logic behind what you are asking I have to wonder if you are that concerned, you may have bought too much motorcycle for your skill level. I would suggest you start in A mode, take it easy until you become familiar with the bike. You will find the BUSA is a big pussycat if you have self discipline and take it slow.

Read you other thread. You can ride the bike till you get use to it in C mode and switch up to A mode for your everyday riding once you use to the bike. Just when you make the change, it's up to you to adapt. It's still the same motorcycle as in weigh and such. Be easy on the throttle until you get use to it.

Most here that have used C mode did it only to find out what it is about and almost never used it again.

I say: the original incarnation of this bike had ZERO restrictions. It was all out power until the bike quit or the rider quit. Then the 187 mph rule came. But the machine was still an animal. It was only upgraded because the crown was being treatened by the 14. It received the mode switch a year or two after the gsxr1000 received it. So that leads to tell me that it was an after thought on the genII.

I went from a 500 to my busa. And I scooted around on it for a month before I dared open the throttle. The day I did I learned 2 things.
1 this machine will kill you, if you disrespect it.

2 ALL the restrictions this bike needs are in your wrist.

Would I benefit from having a mode switch on my genI? MAYBE

Will I ever know I need it? Nope

And neither will almost 10 years worth of genI hayabusa owners. Those that upgrade to a genII do not go into it thinking: "hey, I'm going to buy that bike so I can go slower!"

To each his own. If you purchased this bike for "image" you might want to reconsider. If you purchased it for "performance" then your in the right place with the right bike.

Riding fast isn't skilled riding!
Riding smooth at a fast pace is!

Sent from my super-duper wack tmobile device using tapatalk.

People have been riding for years without "mode selection". I learned to as well as most people on this board.
"C" mode has plenty of umph to get you in a whole lotta trouble fast, mode selection doesn't guarantee safety, you as the rider are the biggest fail safe feature on that bike. So the question for you would be, did you buy a bike that is intimidating and beyond your comfort level or riding skill/experience? That is a question only you can and or should answer.

1 this machine will kill you, if you disrespect it.

2 ALL the restrictions this bike needs are in your wrist.

Words of wisdom.

..in response to the original question:

"C" does not equal safe! Don't think of it as a band aid for proper riding technique. IMO the busa has very smooth power delivery and if you can't safely pilot the bike in "A"-mode during normal riding conditions there are some significant issues with throttle control and/or riding strategy. IMO the biggest detractor for "C" mode training is that the bike starts out in "A" every time you start it up, regardless of what mode the bike was in when you turned it off. There are many times when a surprised 50hp could surprised right onto your butt. You can get a similar effect to "C"-mode if you just keep the bike bogged down in a higher gear, like most riders do anyway.

Good luck and ride safe!

I am afraid that i will get a feel for the bike in c mode but when i change to a, i will have my habits set in c mode but bike will behave differently leading me to death.

Is that a valid concern?

What did you ride before you got a Busa?

My biggest problem learning to ride the Busa had nothing to do with having too much power leaned over in the turns. Rather, it is just too easy to accelerate in the straights and enter the turns too fast. I imagine that even in the lowest power mode, you will still have plenty of power to enter the turns too fast.

Ride any bike, now get off of it and ride something else. They're different in some way, some more than others. Your brain needs to adapt to the differences before you are used to the other bike's characteristics.
Now put the ability to change power levels on one bike, it always seemed like a bad idea to me...regardless of one's skill level, even in the rain!!!
If you need to start in C and get comfortable, then step up to B, then A, and that works for you then fine. Keep in mind you now have to re learn the bike for B, then again for A, and your brain has to keep up with the changes. You also have to be aware of the power level should you need to get out of harm's way quickly.
If you need A power and you're in C mode, the split second difference in throttle response can be enough to get you ran over.
The same holds true if you're used to C power, and you nail it in A mode and aren't ready for what's about to happen.
I also hear people say how good less power is in the rain, these people are putting everyone in the same box. If you NEED C mode to ride in the rain, then you also need a less powerful bike.
As said, all you need is good wrist control. Ride in A, all the time, no matter how fast or slow you are comfortable riding. It'll keep you out of trouble. Use your wrist to regulate the power, not a switch:beerchug:

I am afraid that i will get a feel for the bike in c mode but when i change to a, i will have my habits set in c mode but bike will behave differently leading me to d
Is that a valid concern?

Yes, it can be.

I just found out why Suzuki put the mode selector on these bikes, after talking to one of the factory designers. This is what he said.

A - Mode, the mode the bike wakes up in, with no restriction.

B - Mode, if you are riding with a new ZX14, to make sure it is not left behind.

C - Mode, specially programmed so a Gen1 Busa will keep up with the Gen2, also known as "Gentleman's Mode"

When my wife goes into C mode...yea i think its dangerous!! :laugh:

Started in "A", stayed in "A". Didnt use "C" until 2 months later when I was bored. Stick with suggestions of putting in "B" or "C" when you want to have the race between you and the BMW 1000RR a little more close/even. Like Many have already said; you are going to have to get use to the bikes power regardless. You just have to be aware, and be careful (throttle control).

Back