Buying your first Busa

kilpatricks

Donating Member
Registered
Hi all,

I am a NOO BEE, to the Hayabusa world.
I currently have a 2001 model Yamaha R6, but am selling it within the next two weeks, as I want to upgrade to the Bike of Dreams "Hayabusa".

Just a question, can you guys recommend anything to look out for when purchasing a Hayabusa, things to check etc?

Yeah, be on the lQQk out for Whip lash when you grab a fist full of throttle.
smile.gif

Welcome to the Crew !

laugh.gif
Ah yes......... I remember it soooooo well. I stepped up to the plate from a 600 ninja back in 2001 and never lQQked back.

Note.. one way to break your machine in proper is to keep the RPMS varying for proper piston ring sealing. For the first 600 miles vary your RPM range when riding on the freeway.

Keep your knees in the breeze, Playa !
race.gif

Buy new if you can.

And hold on...

And as you get used to the bike and see how people here have theirs modded for even more power and better looks... you'll want to do the same thing. Like me... lol!

Just a question off the original post...so it's not too big of a step to go from an R6 to a Hayabusa if I were to take it easy at first? I've been riding an 03 R6 for over 15k miles and my heart has always been set on the Busa...yet everyone tells me I will die...I think if I ride smart and cautious until I'm comfortable I should be fine. Any input? Thanks!

Just respect the power.. it's all in the wrist, and how you control it.

Nothing to add about buying the bike.. just haggle for the best price, get some gear, and RIDE!!
super.gif

(PaNDeM1C @ Sep. 11 2006,05:03) Buy new if you can.

And hold on...

And as you get used to the bike and see how people here have theirs modded for even more power and better looks... you'll want to do the same thing. Like me... lol!
Good call PD. Empty wallet but big grin club.

(Rhythm @ Sep. 10 2006,23:39) Yeah, be on the lQQk out for Whip lash when you grab a fist full of throttle.
smile.gif

Welcome to the Crew !
lol too true....
firedevil.gif
SHOCKED.gif

You can die on a moped! Period. You have to be smart about your riding habits and definately respect the machine.If you get too cocky on it,yes I'm sure it will bite ya,but so wont any other bike.
Get riding gear,and slowly gaine full control of her first.
good luck on your purchase,let us know what you are paying for it so you dont take an a$$ reaming on the price....
Welcome to the board.
smile.gif

I hadn't ridden a bike since my Katana 600 about 5 or 6 years ago when I got my Busa in June... and I came to the forum about a week before my first Busa ride to get some pointers.

After I first took off, I knew I was going to be just fine... because the bike is smooth and will not launch you off or anything like that. It is as smooth as you want it to be. So... my first Busa ride was about a 50 mile interstate ride home from the stealership to get it home. Pure fun! I got it to about 110mph or so on my first ride and now I do that speed without even trying or thinking about it... that's cruising speed! LOL!

Kilpatrick,

I just made the transistion to the Busa. Been riding for over 20 years. Dirt bikes to street bikes to sport bikes to cruisers. I loved the Busa for its looks and the speed was a secondary thing. I had a GSX 1100 about 6 years back. It was warmed up pretty good from stock. It scared the ceerraaappp out of me fast. I am 6'6" and 225 so that bike was as uncomfortable as it was fast.

That was another reason for liking the Busa. It was the largest sport bike I could find. I drive and still own a 750 Magna which is a VFR 750 engine in a cruiser frame and I love that bike. Still to this day it is a geeat bike and can give your 600 a better than even run for its money performance wise.

The Busa is decpetively fast compared to my old 1100. My old 1100 was brutally fast, harshly so. The Busa is simply has endless continuous power. It humbles you. It can gain speed so fast and so smooth you don't even realize what you just asked of it.

I have all of 100 miles under my seat on my 03 I just bought and it is not a hard bike to ride. It will be a LOT heavier feeling than your 600 and that will take some getting used to. It is VERY stable, and is nothing to be scared of but you need to concentrate on your throttle discipline. You simply don't realize you are approaching triple digits in 3rd gear. It doesn't feel it or act like its trying hard at all.

Be VERY respectful of this machine. It will eat your 600 knowledge like popcorn so don't be cocky about what you think you know about sportbikes. This is twice the size and at least 2 times the power.

I am absolutely babying this bike. Keeping my revs below 6500 and rolling on the power rather than pinning the throttle to WOT. Your front end gets light at about 4500 if your pulling on the power and I will tell you they are scary fast so pay very close attention to your throttle control.

It is an easy bike to ride if you respect that it teaches you things you never felt on any bike before.

Good luck and enjoy it. It requires your utmost attention for the first few weeks.

7k to 10k rpm range makes some sweet sounding music.... I've never heard the notes above that... yet.

well, yesterday I had a day off work, went to the Suzuki Dealership took a 2006 Red/Black one out for 30 min ride, was farking awesome, I had a grin from ear to ear as soon as I took off...

most impressed actually very impressed, the handling was even quite good and even taking it out on the Motorway was a comfortable ride, just need to piss off the race windscreen and get a double bubble as I cant see the speedo properly...

Basically I cant believe I ever bought a motorbike that wasnt a hayabusa!

Fantastic!
bowdown.gif

Puig DB all the way- mine is smoke, might go dark smoke if I had it to do over again.

Puig1.JPG

one of the Busa's there had a double bubble on it but it had air holes in it?? what the! why would you want to do that!
I thought the whole point is to avoid the Wall of Wind that hits you! and also just incase of it rains you have the water hitting your windscreen and coming through!..... Yeah I couldnt understand, maybe you guys may know the advantages.... Oh also I remember reading a post from here but I cant find it, but someone was mentioning that they had purchased some clear indicators and had a 2 or 3mm gap around the outside
SHOCKED.gif
, which they found perculiar..
wow.gif

So I was thinking while @ the Stealership to have a look on the new 2006 Busa, and it also has a gap all the way around the indicators.... Just thought this person may read this thread.

Oh Love the Double Bubble screen Shibumi, what did that set you back?

Back