Buying used. Which way would you go?

NuckaMan

Registered
I don't buy bikes often and generally keep them for a long time. Always wanted a busa but buying a used one is the only way to afford one right now.

I got a couples options. They are:

1) 2004 Busa LE Red. Tick over 6000 miles. Looks well maintained. Only mod is Yosh full stainless. Looks like a driveway tip over but other then minor dings. Looks good.

2) 2005 Busa Blue/silver. Tick over 3500 miles. Needs a bath badly. Sitting in garage for awhile with occasional runs. Doesn't seem as well maintained. Couple nicks but looks very good.

Both seem to run good. Both will require tires very soon. Both are same price.

Personally I like the blue-silver color better but concerned about it was neglected.

Which one would you chose?

Also. Is it normal to start busa by giving a little gas?
Posted via Mobile Device

you do not have to give the bike any gas to start it.. that would be a problem if you did.

I would personally look over them both with a fine tooth comb... i bought used and didnt heed all the advice here and now am replacing and fixing a lot of things.

Check the chain and sprockets, oil, battery condition, those are tell tell signs of how well a bike was taken care of. I would have no problem buying a dirty bike if she was maintained. A clean bike can also be neglected or shined up to make a sale.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought mine off a member here who took excellent care of it. I would make sure whoever owned it treated like their baby. Not taking enough time to keep it clean probably means not taking enough time to do proper maint. Just my .02

My bike stays dirty because i would rather ride than clean it but its well taken care of so I wouldnt worry about the dirt... Like they said above chain, sprocket, battery, fuilds, and try to see if you can get a test ride and see if everything sounds good. Best of luck!

Both bikes have low mileage for any kind of big maintenence issues. Look at the chain and make the bike doesnt leak anywhere. Battery check would be a plus.

Where are you from I think there are a few bikes on here for sale at a good price and I am sure they were very well taken care of!

Also check for nuts that look worn, or stripped. chain tension and condition of sprockets. I would buy a high mileage well maintained bike over a low mileage tip over or squid bike. happy hunting.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm gonna test ride the red one tomorrow.

On the busa, whats typical in terms on engine noise? I know every engine has their own personalities and sounds.

As long as there are not constant ticks or knocks...all else should be ok?

I really like the Blue/Silver scheme...other then the grime, some cobwebs, all else was working ok. It did require a little help when starting up, like giving a little gas when pushing the start button. possible clogged FI?

Whichever I chose, they will get full fluid change before going anywhere.

if it only has 3500 miles on it i wouldnt worry to much about the maint. the bike is not even broke in yet. get the 05 since its the color you prefer and change the fluids and tires and have fun finishing breaking that thing in.

Busa has a noisy valvetrain...don't be alarmed when you hear valve ticking. If it sounds like an industrial sewing machine, that's OK. LOL

I agree with you on the Blue/Silver, however, it shouldn't need any gas to start. That said, it's possible the idle is set too low? Normal idle is around 1100 - 1200 RPM.

Busa has a noisy valvetrain...don't be alarmed when you hear valve ticking. If it sounds like an industrial sewing machine, that's OK. LOL

I agree with you on the Blue/Silver, however, it shouldn't need any gas to start. That said, it's possible the idle is set too low? Normal idle is around 1100 - 1200 RPM.

Industrial sewing machine....that exactly what it sounds like!!! I know, I used towork around them before in the past (mass production stitching).

I think i'm gonna take my chances on the 05. I think after cleaning out the cobwebs (literally), degrease all the road grime, a full fluid change...I will feel better about it.

someone said it already...most motors are not even broken in yet before 5K, I think I'll finish it. Hope the guy didn't abuse it too much within the 3500.

I'll post in the Newbie section with pics once I make it official....possibly this Tuesday night afterwork!!!

If you hold onto your bikes, i would go with a new Busa.
Unless you're really in a rush to buy a Busa just to have one or you really want a better looking (in my opinion) older model with the liquid curves (1999, 2000, 2001 etc.), I would buy new over a used Busa.

There are many bikes and dealers with great incentives right now so payments wouldn't be too high. Plus, the bike would be covered with a dealer and manufacturer warranty too. The season is almost over so a lot of bikes will be marked down at this time too to clear the floor for snowmobiles. If you can afford about $200-210 a month, then a new one is the way to go.:bowdown: The more you put down, the less the payment and less months too... Just my 2¢ (proud owner of a 2000 Busa)

Last edited:
RED!!! Just kidding, get the one you feel best about. I agree with the fine tooth comb. Check every fluid leak place (forks, oil, everything else). Good luck and happy testing!:thumbsup:

Back