Buying new tires. Avon Storm front wore out QUICK!

trojan2k

Registered
I'm about to pull the trigger on some new BT016 Pro's. I had the original ones and loved them. I am running Storm 2 Ultra's now. The front wore out funny. There are pits in it and chunks/slivers that look like they got peeled off. Only about 3k miles on them. Had them on for a year. The rear still looks good even after burnouts and drags. I'm going back to Bridgestone!

IMG_0240.jpg

I am running PR2's right now and they are great. I have about 8K on them so far and they are still good for a while. I plan to go with the PR3's when winter hits. Although, they are not a full on sport tire, but they work great for my application.

I'm going back to Bridgestone!

There ya go ! The one and only time i tried those Storms i tore the edge of those big wide sipes off making them wider and the block between them smaller and then it was over. Back to Bridgestone in a month.

I have a bud that called em mud n snows :laugh:

All I've used are the AV55 and 56 since the factory rubber wore out. No complaints.

That friend of mine had bought two sets while on sale. He tore them up on a ZX-12 and wanted to change so the other set was sold cheap.

Anyway,I am pretty sure he use's them on a V-Strom < why he calls them that> w/o problems.

The topic problem i don't know. Kinda like a cold tear but not. Maybe initial balance compounded by dampning settings-lack of . Who knows, i don't.

I was curious too. If the OP has wear issues on the new tire maybe he'll let us know. Was thinking suspension issue as well. My Gen II front end has been a little bouncy since I brought her home, I just haven't done anything about it. Tires wear fine, I always get wear on the left side, have always felt this was the slope of the road, but I'm being told it's because the radius of a left hand turn is longer. I'd be curious if my UK brothers wear the right hand side.

I got me a problem about putting that <N> in damping but the miles were a little early on that tire to have such problem . His remarks about the rear more or less confirms.

I've seen similar on center of some of my rear's before but man , they were wore to the bone anyway.

Good luck with it. :beerchug:

I haven't changed the suspension at all. Running stock setup. I'm 5'11" 190lbs. Maybe I'll look into that. The rear tire is still in really good condition but I need new tires quick. Found a good deal on the Pro's. $250 shipped to Hawaii

I was curious too. If the OP has wear issues on the new tire maybe he'll let us know. Was thinking suspension issue as well. My Gen II front end has been a little bouncy since I brought her home, I just haven't done anything about it. Tires wear fine, I always get wear on the left side, have always felt this was the slope of the road, but I'm being told it's because the radius of a left hand turn is longer. I'd be curious if my UK brothers wear the right hand side.

yes sir i too run storms and the right hand side wears away quicker .

i guess you have answered a query for me also :beerchug: i thought it was because i was more confident going in to right handers and would hit them a little harder so to speak

Same here my Storm cupped real bad ended up going Bridgestone BT016 on front and BT023 on the rear. Sofar loving this combo. See how the combo works out longevity wise later this month when head to Busa Stampede should be close to 6500 km (4000 miles) round trip with traveling distance and group rides while in Reno.

I had a bounce in mine.. took it back because there were no weights... guy told me he was afraid the weights would chip the paint... just another reason to do your own work.

Back to the op, I would dump those tires ASAP. Weird wear marks or chunks I should say.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here my Storm cupped real bad ended up going Bridgestone BT016 on front and BT023 on the rear. Sofar loving this combo. See how the combo works out longevity wise later this month when head to Busa Stampede should be close to 6500 km (4000 miles) round trip with traveling distance and group rides while in Reno.

Do let me know how it works for you. I just ordered a BT016 for the front and will be putting in an order for a 23 rear after I wear out the Metz that I'm running now. I'm looking for better longevity without too much give on grip. I keep feeding her tires and she keeps begging for more!

I have a Q2 front and a Roadsmart sport touring rear. They seem to still be wearing equally front to rear, as a sport rear will usually last alot less than the front.
I'm only at about 1300 miles and alot of curves, so far I'm very happy and it's about the same as running the BTO 16/23 combo.
Also, when my wife rides on a sport rear tire you can see the wear in the center of the tire after a few hours of riding(dark shiny strip in the middle of the tire). With the sport touring rear there is no noticeable wear at all from riding a passenger.
I posted these pics before, and around 1000 miles later they look the same. As you can see they stick really well too.

Back