Buying First Rear Tire

My1stBusa

Registered
Woke up this morning to a flat rear tire because some piece of metal was stuck in it. So I need to buy a new rear tire. Any recommendations? My brother likes the Dunlap Q3, and I have heard of Michelin Pilot Power or something. Would love some recommendations.

Well that’s the best place to have a flat. As for which tire? First decide what you want out of a new rear, long mileage or superior traction or the best of both (in a single tire)? Many choose as I do, a rear that has multiple compounds like the Pilot Road Michelins. There are several brands that offer similar traction levels. A Pilot Power is going to wear far quicker than a Pilot Road but arguably give you better traction. A PR wears well and gives good cornering traction while lasting far longer than the PP. Like I said there are several brands that offer similar tire types. I just prefer Michelin’s.

Both you've mentioned are good. What do you have on already? You plan on changing both right? Whatever you choose, I personally would not put mismatch tires on my bike and would replace both.

I bet my current tires are stock tires, and they are Bridgestone. I wasn't going to get both now as I am strapped for cash at moment and going to Florida on vacation this Friday. As far as what I want, I am a casual rider who occasionally likes to go fast and dip into corners. So I want a tire that will last, and give me traction and look good on the bike. I will replace the front tire when I can afford to. But as of now I cannot ride the bike on a flat, and don't feel safe plugging the tire.

In a perfect world I’d change both at the same time too but just remember, they’re all radials and as you know, quite expensive. Many of us run two rears to every front. Repairing a flat on a rear is not scary either. I’ve ridden thousands of miles on a plugged rear tire. There are several repair kits out there that do a good job. “Casual rider”? Look at dual compounds. Good for traction in all weather, wear well down the center and yet have softer edges for cornering. They last a long time w/o giving up cornering ability.

I buy Michelin Pilot Road 3's, always in pairs.
I get about 9000kms (5500mls) out of the pair.
Excellent road/sport tires I've found, NEVER had a problem with them.

Buy a cheep Shinko when you do get one. Then when you burn it up having fun at least it wasn’t a $400 tire. I plan on a new rear tire every year.

Some people use a bt016 in the front and a bt023 in the rear. That’s what I have on mine now and they seem to where both around the same time. When I upgrade, I’ll get a new set and try a better tire.

I'm on track to burn through three sets this year. I've put over 4k miles on my current PR5s. I expect another 8k out of them.

There are many that will thrill you after that dangerous Bridgestone crappo you have on it.
You need to evaluate your needs ie miles ridden in a month, Style of riding etc, you don't want to replace a SuperCorsa ever other week ;<) or you don't want to power slide a turing long distance road tire if you get sporty out there.
If your Brother likes the Q3 he will LOVE the new Q3+ as it has the same handling BUT with compound changes it lasts 50% longer. If "Sporty distance" with all weather is your thing (Going to Fl) the new Mich Pilot 5 is exciting folks all over.

Diablo Supercorsa 200/55 if you like cornering. I would definitely get a Supercorsa front to go with it.

...sapeaking of which, if that front is not exceptionally new you might want to change it too. If you corner hard, an old front and new rear could be asking for trouble. I changed rear only last time to save money and it made me concerned and kept me from pushing hard in the corners.

I would get 2k miles, maybe 2200 out of a set of tires(no burnouts, just curves), sport front, sport touring rear.
1200-1500 miles out of a sport rear(Q2 and Roadsmart).
It's a Busa, big weight, big torque, it's gonna eat tires, especially the rear.
Replacing tires as a pair is ideal, but not always needed. If you ride fairly conservatively, 1 front to 2 rear tires is average.
If the front looks good, it should be fine.
But, pay close attention to the wear bars, and any signs of cupping and feathering.
That quarter size contact patch where your tires meet the road, that's the only thing between you and a crash...especially the front.
Which is also why I preach suspension sag and tire pressure to everyone, alot of folks laugh, and that's fine, but it's really important.
Also why I won't run a sport touring tire on the front, harder compound and less grip.
The front is where the control is.
The rear can handle a sport touring, and I've worn them completely bald quickly, just like a sport tire.
I've also had 2 rear tires blow out when riding, straight line, not high speed, no big deal. A front tire blowing out, can be a big problem.
Proper suspension set up, tires, tire pressure, and brakes, all as important as good gear.
Yet they seem to be unimportant or way down the list for so many people.
The new exhaust and fancy farkles can come after.

I would get 2k miles, maybe 2200 out of a set of tires(no burnouts, just curves), sport front, sport touring rear.
1200-1500 miles out of a sport rear(Q2 and Roadsmart).
It's a Busa, big weight, big torque, it's gonna eat tires, especially the rear.
Replacing tires as a pair is ideal, but not always needed. If you ride fairly conservatively, 1 front to 2 rear tires is average.
If the front looks good, it should be fine.
But, pay close attention to the wear bars, and any signs of cupping and feathering.
That quarter size contact patch where your tires meet the road, that's the only thing between you and a crash...especially the front.
Which is also why I preach suspension sag and tire pressure to everyone, alot of folks laugh, and that's fine, but it's really important.
Also why I won't run a sport touring tire on the front, harder compound and less grip.
The front is where the control is.
The rear can handle a sport touring, and I've worn them completely bald quickly, just like a sport tire.
I've also had 2 rear tires blow out when riding, straight line, not high speed, no big deal. A front tire blowing out, can be a big problem.
Proper suspension set up, tires, tire pressure, and brakes, all as important as good gear.
Yet they seem to be unimportant or way down the list for so many people.
The new exhaust and fancy farkles can come after.
Hi. I know what that is like. In 2000 I had a front tire go flat at 70 mph in an S turn on I 4 in Fl. It was not the tire fault it was the rim split. I did not hit a pot hole. the tire was a 120/60-17. the rim was a $3,000.00 set of Dominators I did not crash. I even road it back from Olando Fl to Kissamee.

Back