buying first busa anything i should be aware of?

killertiller

Registered
Its a 06 with 28,000 miles. Original owner n real clean. Has yoshi exhaust n is set up with power commander and few other things. I been a tlr1000 owner for 12 years n been on tlplanet n tlzone since 2000. Those boards were so helpful n i was sent to this bored by those members.

The Busa is great. The only issue I know if with that bike is some of the Gen I's (99 to 07) have 2nd gear problems. Take it for a test ride and hit second hard. If it feels like it's popping out on you in the upper RPM range then the trans needs to be undercut. I think someone posted up that it was about a $1000 job to have done but Im not sure. Searh this board for 2nd gear issues so you can read all about it.

:welcome: to the org.

Make sure it's the black '06 :laugh: No seriously, sounds like you've been around the block, make sure it hasn't been down and absolutely take it out and run it hard to make sure everything's good to go. A small percentage of folks have had second gear issues and no shifting into neutral is normal not a problem. You really have to kick these bikes into second and sixth. 2nd gear is an expensive fix, the motor has to be pulled and cases split to do the easy stuff. They will run hot in bumper to bumper, stop more than go traffic.

Or you could buy a Gen II :whistle:

I've owned two. A black '06 I put 36K miles on and I'm riding an '08 with 26K miles on it. It's rare if ever that I don't hit max R.P.M.s every ride. These bikes are built for it. Several 100K Busi around. Often referred to as bullet proof. Obviously you can destroy anything. Best of luck.

only other advice, dont drop it when you take it for a spin. It will surprise you with how nimble the big girl can be but if she starts going too far over, she's heavy as hell. Oh and ride it hard but I'd wait until you get a feel for the power before you yank down on that throttle tooo quickly...unless of course you enjoy looking at the sky :laugh:

Or you could buy a Gen II :whistle:

What he said. Getting a Gen II (2008+) would take care of the above issues. That said, if it has not been abused, then you're probably good to go with the 06. 28,000 miles is nothing more than a good break-in period on these bikes.

only other advice, dont drop it when you take it for a spin. It will surprise you with how nimble the big girl can be but if she starts going too far over, she's heavy as hell. Oh and ride it hard but I'd wait until you get a feel for the power before you yank down on that throttle tooo quickly...unless of course you enjoy looking at the sky :laugh:

Having owned a TL1000R myself, everything posted above is true for both bikes! :laugh:

All good advice here. :welcome: I hope it is like this one:whistle:

RS3.jpg

Congrats on an awesome purchase to come. Its the kind of bike, you never forget the first time you ever saw it, and one ride will set you straight...or leave you horribly scarred and recognizable only to loved ones and bill collectors. Seriously though welcome and prepare to be thrilled. :laugh:

dont let the looks of it fool you. ride it like your drag racing and go through the gears, to redline, at least through 3rd. it wont dont it if you putter around and it wont do it until the upper rpms unless its totally trashed. if 2nd gear pops(almost sounds and feels like and electrical cutout) or anything stay away from it. $1000-$1200 fix.
ask me how i know.

LMAo guys to be honest i always hated the busa. It sorta grew on me over past few year. I got a white n silver one. Its goin to be hard test ridding it hard cause most likely there be snow on the ground. All i can say is guy said he dont wheelie or do burn outs. He said he does high speed n thats it. We been talking for awhile he like 45 n the bikes his baby. Never even been out in the cold. Its in his shop n he has alot of nice **** so most likely its all good. Imma def bring it up though. Nothing worse then bad 2nd gear. Back in 1990 i got a 88 gsxr sligshot 750 with every last penny i had. When i got it n rode it bad 2nd gear. i had no money to fix it so it sat for years n i sold it at huge loss in the end.

Back