Buying a used busa

mmawonder

Registered
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and busa's. Since they first came out in 99 I always wanted a busa but always steered away from them due to people saying its just a drag bike etc... now after owning 2 gsxr 1000's and a 600rr I am thinking about getting a used busa. Since I am new to these bikes, which criteria's should I consider except the universal ones, such as frame and steering stoppers etc... when buying private party. How can I tell if the bike has the second gear problem, would a second gear hard accelaration test ne helpful?
Ps: I am thinking $4000-$6000 2003 and up less than 15k milage.

Welcome to the org. Yeah, they make killer dragbikes, but they also make good streetbikes and decent canyon carvers too. There is no way that I am aware of to tell about the second gear issue. The test you mentioned may help, also, try speedshifting and see if it gets kicked back out of gear. There are no other things to look for that I am aware of other than the usual bike related things to check for. For the most part, the Busa is bullet proof!
Good luck in your search, and check the for sale section here as most of these bikes have been very well maintained!!
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

I dont know everything, and the ones that do know will chime in. I believe the 2nd gear issue was fixed after 02, meaning 03 and up should be fine, unless abused. The busa makes a great all around bike, and I promise after riding for 20+ years, I can not ride the bike to its limits on the street(or track). I love mine and would not consider replacing my busa for anything. Oh, and welcome to the oRg!
peace.gif

I picked up my 05 when it was 6 months old and had 1242 miles on it. I've babied it ever since and it's treated me great in return. I think the biggest thing to gauge is the prior owner. If you show up and you get a weird vibe or the bike just doesn't seem right, walk away from it. There are plenty of them for sale.

Good luck,

BUSAFETT

I picked up my 05 when it was 6 months old and had 1242 miles on it. I've babied it ever since and it's treated me great in return. I think the biggest thing to gauge is the prior owner. If you show up and you get a weird vibe or the bike just doesn't seem right, walk away from it. There are plenty of them for sale.

Good luck,

BUSAFETT
That and if they are telling you what the top end of the bike is, i hate that. The best tell of a bike is just to ride it. If the owner if confident in their machine they will let you ride it...of course with a little deposit.

Busas are great carvers but again remember they are not liter bikes so take at easy at first throwing it into a curve, especially if they have them damn battle axes on it. Good luck.

I picked up my 05 when it was 6 months old and had 1242 miles on it.  I've babied it ever since and it's treated me great in return.  I think the biggest thing to gauge is the prior owner.  If you show up and you get a weird vibe or the bike just doesn't seem right, walk away from it.  There are plenty of them for sale.

Good luck,

BUSAFETT
That and if they are telling you what the top end of the bike is, i hate that. The best tell of a bike is just to ride it. If the owner if confident in their machine they will let you ride it...of course with a little deposit.

Busas are great carvers but again remember they are not liter bikes so take at easy at first throwing it into a curve, especially if they have them damn battle axes on it. Good luck.
Not on a bet. Nobody rides without paying full price first. I had a guy test ride an old Kaw I had, dropped it 50ft from the driveway.
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Getting on it hard through the first three gears should bring out the second gear problem. Sometimes it's fun to act like you know nothing about bikes and just see what kind of crap they might try to feed you. Gives you an idea if the guy is on the level or full of it.

I'd be looking for original owner, low miles and a near new appearance. Hopefully you will find a person who loves his or her Busa and will be honest with you about it. Get a feel for the person you're prospectively buying from. Buying a used bike is kind of a crapshoot. I have always been lucky in that regard; kind of going on my gut feeling. As has been said before, the Busa is pretty much bullit proof that a bike can be. There are a bunch for sale, just be careful in choosing the right one. Personally, I bought an 05 out of the Cycle trader, and it was a great bike. Good luck, and I hope you find the right one.

I appreciate all the reply's. From now on I will do all my track riding on a 250 gp bike like tz 250. I was thinking of getting a lightly used 600 and turn it to a track bike but with the money I am gonna spend I can have a 90hp 220 pound 2stroke gp bike with magnesium wheels and brembo brakes. So for the streets, with a passanger backrest and handle bike raisers, I think the busa is going ot be the pefect cruiser/commuter for me.

Welcome, The busa does everything well! touring,handling, two-up etc... I still am just as passionate at near 37,000 miles as i was when new. They surely are keepers.
thumb_up.gif

Yeah 2 up is a big deal to me now, me and my gf took an ultraclassic HD to Santa barbara and loved it. I was comfortable, she was comfortable and the ride was fun. I am not a harley guy, even japanese touring bikes a re too big for my taste, I think busa is the perfect match

Back