Buying a used bike

phreak9i6

Registered
I found a 2006 busa with ~2500 miles. The owner put a new tire on, the old one had belting showing through. It sounds like it was dragged or did a ton of burn-outs.

I'm concerned at the low milage, some things don't add up with the bike. The dealer who worked on it (private sale) says its legit.

Does anyone know if you can validate the mileage against the ECU?

This more or less a bump. I'm thinking on the Gen I if you replaced the cluster with a new one you had zero miles, if you replaced the cluster with a used one , whatever mileage was on the cluster remained. What type of tire. They came with Bridgestones. 2500 miles would indicate abuse to me.

Agreed!
This more or less a bump. I'm thinking on the Gen I if you replaced the cluster with a new one you had zero miles, if you replaced the cluster with a used one , whatever mileage was on the cluster remained. What type of tire. They came with Bridgestones. 2500 miles would indicate abuse to me.

Most likely the bike has been risen hard and put away wet, if it was me in your position, I'd look under the tail for evidence of rubber marbles which would only be present on a bike that did burnouts (and they are a ***** to clean off).

But i agree...something tells me this is too good to be true, meaning it probably is. That being said, if it turns out that the owner drove it a few times and the speed scared him and decided to garage it for a long period of time, then I say go for it.

-D

Apparently the owner was rough on the bike, but he passed away (not on it) and it has been sitting in storage for a couple years.

Just my 2 cents...I take the best of care on my bike...built it well and do drag race it...it is built to take abuse and it has low miles...I have been trying to sell it for 2 years now and no takers...I will lose half what I put into it and it is a great machine. I would say signs of abuse are low oil, dirty, beat up / not properly adjusted chain, beat up sprockets, leaks that are not taken care of...burned out head light and using the high beam...leaking fork seals...all the little repairs add up quick for parts and labor

All depends on the price.. it wouldnt bother me to pick up a used bike thats been ridden hard but I turn my own wrenches.. my daily drive was totaled when I picked it up. Now you would never know it and it runs like a champ.

All depends on the price.. it wouldnt bother me to pick up a used bike thats been ridden hard but I turn my own wrenches.. my daily drive was totaled when I picked it up. Now you would never know it and it runs like a champ.

True that, I suppose for the right price why the heck not?!

True that, I suppose for the right price why the heck not?!

I picked it up this evening, I'm quite happy so far. Drove it 50 miles home! She ran fantastic, no problems. Ordered some auctmart fairings to get me through the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the advice everyone. For now she's the Millennium Falcon, "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. "

Back