Buying a pre-owned Busa - need advice

swamplizard

Registered
Hi folks!

I am looking at buying a pre-owned hayabusa with about 6k miles on it. It is adult owned, no mods, and looks very clean.

What should I look for in terms of possible weak points to check over?

Compression? Gears? Electricals? What breakes on these puppies?

It is a 2006 if it matters. This is not meant to be a Busa kickme session but if anyone knows where possible weaker points are you guys know.

Thanks for any assistance!

I have an 06 that I bought new and after 28,000 miles with NO work needed whatsoever, I can't imagine any concerns you might have with that bike. As with any used bike, I'd check under the rear fender for rubber debri (burnouts) and check the color and level of oil, fork seal leakage (doubtful) unless it did a lot of wheelies, and the body parts for any scrapes or cracks (proof of drops). On mine, at 30,000 I'll change all fluids and maybe the sprockets and chain, but at only 6,000 miles, yours (should) be good to go. Good luck!

I've had three Gen1 'busas. Never a problem.

If you're not a wrench, I'd suggest taking it to someone you trust...for a full evaluation. Otherwise, the 'busa is pretty bullet proof!

Congrats on your decision to at least look at it. What color scheme?

:welcome: to the mayhem.

I've had three Gen1 'busas. Never a problem.

If you're not a wrench, I'd suggest taking it to someone you trust...for a full evaluation. Otherwise, the 'busa is pretty bullet proof!

Congrats on your decision to at least look at it. What color scheme?

:welcome: to the mayhem.

+1

if you can't take it some place to check and you have to do it yourself check for any leaks around engine case, fork seals, coolant etc..
check the swingarm area for anykind of crack or unusual welding.
start up the bike when cold and see how it does and any sign of smoke from exhaust. ride the bike in each gear make sure is smooth and no problem changing or in higher rpm slipping.
good luck.

Check to see that all the service was done. If it wasn't don't walk--- run away. If the bike looks good after checking it over and service was done and on time check the tires and chain. If they are worn ask the seller to deduct the price of a new set of tires and/ or a new chain and sprockets. If it has any decals on the body work ask the owner to peel them off as it might some body damage. Also ask if the bike has been down or raced. if you are getting flack from the owner or he isn't being friendlyand helpful go look for another bike

I bought a used '01 and I had to get the clutch rebuilt. Get this, the clutch rebuild was due to "IT WASN'T RIDDEN ENOUGH". It had been sitting in a garage unridden for a couple of years. Other than that nothing else was wrong with it. Change of the fluids and she was running like a champ.

Last edited:
thanks guys - good stuff. I thought I read somewhere that 2nd gear issues are fairly common.....other than that I have not seen much - unless it has 6,000 miles on the odometer and they are all from 1/4 mile runs :whistle:

You joined in Feb 2006. Is this going to be your first Busa ? The bike you describe is probably going to be a good buy. Good luck and post up pix if you get her :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::welcome: Good luck, I have an 06 and no problems here.... Mabye if the person your buying it from wont let you test ride it. Ask him to take you for a ride ( SLOW ) and make sure it shifts smooth through all gears.

Last edited:
yeah been lurking for a long time - finally looking to upgrade.....I have busa's great great grand dad right now...still does 150mph two up but getting a bit bored with it.

Make sure it does not pop out of 2nd under hard acceleration. (That may be easier said than done for someone that has not ridden bikes like a busa. Sounds like you might have it covered)

The rear tire and chain on these bikes are consumables. Check them out, replace as needed!

Back