Buying a Gen2 used

DaReaper

Registered
HELLO ALL...I am new but have been reading some of the post on here for a while prior to making my first Hayabusa purchase...I have never owned anything like a Busa before...I have always been on liter bikes before...I have a lot of question that still have not been completely answered in my research so I wanted to bring up the ones I thought were more important...

I want to buy a new Hayabusa until I was looking at the prices of them used and the amount of add ons or mods on the bike...SS brake lines...upgraded pads...pegs...levers...seats ect...the one thing I have not really understood completely is how to "set up" the suspension system for the individual???is it just about whats comfortable to me or is it more to it???...I am 6'4" 240 so seat height is not an issue for me...I have heard of people lowing the bike to take some weight off of their wrist but what are the purposes of lowering a bike besides looks and seat height???

I am not a speed demon...I was when I was younger until I seen friends make mistake from inexperience...lack of respect for the bike or just trying to show off so my riding style is riding...not racing and I am not an aggressive rider who pushes the bike to its limits...my main concern is getting the bike set for my size and comfort with as little trail and error as possible...as of right now no I am not doing a lot of long distance riding until I am more familiar with the bike and how it acts and reacts...

Also I am not sure which color I am going to get...I have seen a lot threads about the fastest color but all color schemes are nice to me so that is still up in the air...even though my daughter loves orange...my son likes the Busa in white and I have a Blue truck that matches the blue...

Welcome to the .Org.

Some busa owners lower their bikes for looks...others to make their bike better suited for drag racing. I've never heard of anyone lower their bike to take some weight off their wrists...not even sure how lowering the bike would help since the rider's position doesn't change.

What makes you want to move from a liter bike to a busa? Have you ridden one?

:welcome: There are some good threads here on suspension and set up and a progressive how to by Jinkster.

Sportbike Suspension Tuning: Andrew Trevitt: 9781893618459: Amazon.com: Books

A very informative addition to anyones library whom is serious about there bike set up. I at 185 6' have had my suspension re-worked with new springs and valves and a new sprig out back. The suspension was then set up for my weight with gear and riding style. I also lowered the front a few mm to quicken the steering a bit. It's very easy when you have help, especially someone who has done it before. It took a week of tweaking to get the feel I liked best. I still mess with it to learn what the change in settings do and how they affect the bikes handling/braking. Good luck with your quest for what I have found/always known to be an awesome motorcycle.

The Helibars are helpful for the pressure on your wrists. Some people I know have lowered just the rear of the bike some and said it was more comfortable but doesn't handle very good.

Yes I have ridden a Busa before....it will sound kind of funny but mainly the reason why I like it is because it fits me...with my size I always felt like I was to big to be on a liter bike but when I first got on a Busa it was comfortable to ride...the one I was on was a gen1 and I cannot tell you what all he did to midify it...besides the fact I have always wanted one because of the styling but was told it was to much for me until I am a little more skilled at riding...it feels like a kid when they learn to ride without training wheels...now your a man...with the Busa you dont move up from it...everyone I have spoken too or asked always said this is it...most people I know go from one Busa to a newer or better one or keep what they have but they say theres not a step up from the Busa...

Thanks for the link...Im seeing if I am able to download the book with my Kindle or not....

SoCal Blu...or anyone else who wants to answer...
Im not trying to sound like a smart @$$ but why did you want a Busa in the beginning? ??

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: Riding was the best thing I ever did to get comfortable on the Busa. I might be wrong but bar risers actually raise the handle bar position by about an inch and lowers the front end by the same amount. Anyway lowering is about looks or shrinking the punch through the air for drag racing or LSR.

You can use risers without lowering the bike.

One of the first things I did to my bike was to put the Heli Bars on it. It was a big help but then I went with the Tobin/New Image seat and it was even better. It did sit me more upright and I rode it that way for almost 5 years. I did lower the back and then the front and it killed the handling of it. I am only 5'8" tall and without the lowering of it I could not get my feet flat on the ground. It was the best bike I ever owned but ended up selling it because of my back. You will not regret getting the bike so go for it. O :welcome::welcome: to the madness :laugh:

I'm 6'4 285 I never rode a sport bike until I bought my gen 2. I don't have any comfort mods done to my bike and it is still far more comfortable than my cruiser ever was. I promise you won't be disappointed with a busa gen 1 or gen 2 :thumbsup: by the way for your first one ya might wanna get a white one until ya get the hang of it then move to a faster color :whistle::laugh:

SoCal Blu...or anyone else who wants to answer...
Im not trying to sound like a smart @$$ but why did you want a Busa in the beginning? ??

I like how the Gen 1 busa looks. The Gen 2 looks okay, just don't like the tail section. I also like the pure brute strength of the Busa and the feeling of acceleration that is available anytime I want it. The busa can be a daily driver, a weekend canyon carver and a missile.

Lowering the Busa is for those that are vertically challenged, more high speed stabilty (which the busa is rock solid at 200mph in its stock stance), just for looks personal preference. Some lower the front end with a ratchet / tie down straps when they go to the dragstrip to prevent the forks slamming during hard accleration which causes wheelies.
I actually made my own bar risers, being that I am 6'7 @240 I wanted my bars a little higher so I purchased some spacers from my local harware store and longer hardened bolts all for under 15.00.
Those that tell you that you dont have enough expierence to ride a Busa are usually those that are incompetant themselves and easily intimidated. Power is controled by the rider and there decisions on the right hand. The busa is a tame girl with a controllable power band, its not riding a CR250R with a wicked power band. With your size and weight there isnt going to be a problem handling her, backing up etc.
I personally recommend raising the bars with spacers, a double bubble wind screen such as the Yanishiki Type R or the higher dollar models such as Puig etc. Depends on your pocket depth.

Enjoy and yes, White models are the fastest! :laugh:

I am 6"8 and about 280lbs or so and the Busa feels great. I have owned several bikes and have never fit on a bike as good as this one period. I actually feel like it was made for me. I have riding experience and respect the power so I went with the black/gray Gen2 model. If your feeling uneasy about it but know you want a Busa you could always buy a white one & ride it around for a season or two until your comfortable. Then, you could move up to the black one which is the faster of the Busa models.

Welcome to the forum

THANKS everyone for welcoming me to the forum...reading all the comments on here and the ones that I have seen on the other post that I have read makes me want to ask the question...what it is that people do not like about the Busa...everyone has all good things to say about the bike but what are some of the draw backs of owning one...besides the attention that they get...even I take notice ever time I see one...

I never thought it would be such a tough crowd when it comes to the color of the Busa...I seen some of the color war post on here and I still do not know which one I am going to be apart of...

PASHNIT
Thanks for that link...that did help out alot but now I do not even have the bike and I am already thinking about what it is that I want to do with it...more money gone already...

The darker the faster. So If you own a black Busi you will own the fastest Busi, as you get lighter in color you'll eventually end up with the slowest model, the white model :laugh:

THANKS everyone for welcoming me to the forum...reading all the comments on here and the ones that I have seen on the other post that I have read makes me want to ask the question...what it is that people do not like about the Busa...everyone has all good things to say about the bike but what are some of the draw backs of owning one...besides the attention that they get...even I take notice ever time I see one...

I never thought it would be such a tough crowd when it comes to the color of the Busa...I seen some of the color war post on here and I still do not know which one I am going to be apart of...

PASHNIT
Thanks for that link...that did help out alot but now I do not even have the bike and I am already thinking about what it is that I want to do with it...more money gone already...

There are a couple of downfalls with the Busa.

#1, Chicks flock to the Busa like a magnet so if your married that could cause a problem which is why the Busa comes with a Seat cowl so that you can make it a one seater to mitigate the risk.

#2 Your insurance agent doesn't know the difference between a ninja250 & an R1 however he DOES know what a Hayabusa is.

#3 You can't upgrade to a better, faster, smoother bike one day. Unfortunately there isn't one, all you can do is buy a Newer Busa.

#4 Even riders who own other bikes will always stare at your bike even during group rides which could cause for an unsafe ride.

There are other downsides but thought I would just share a few. Hopefully, you are willing to take the plunge anyways. Again, The Hayabusa just isn't for everyone, which is why I suggested in an earlier post that you may seriously want to consider one of the slower Busa models which come in white to get you comfortable for a season or two.

Back