Buying a Busa far away from home

wpg2rch

Donating Member
Registered
Hello everyone. I am looking for my first Busa. I live in Minnesota and am realizing that finding a used one close to home is looking unlikely. If I find one that looks good but happens to be on either coast or down south, how should I handle that transaction? Up till now I have only bought close to home.

What have you all done when buying a bike you wouldn't see until you drove down to look at it? How many have flown to a location and driven one back?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
George.

I would not buy one without seeing it first. A $200 air ticket is better than a bad bike in the garage.

Buying anything long distance is at buyers risk.

I agreed to buy my 79 CBX from a guy two states north of me after seeing pics and his description online. After viewing many more pics and talking with him extensively as to what I wanted in a bike, I told him I would fly up to see, and if it was as he said, purchase it. I also mentioned that it would be one hell of an expensive 'test ride' if he was holding anything back. He wasn't, as it turned out so I bought it. Maybe I lucked out. The buyer always has to beware so ask all the questions you need to and spend only that amount that is comfortable.

Did you check out the for sale section here on the org? Best bet is to look at a used bike from a board member with a track record of posts.

(GSXcite @ Apr. 03 2007,21:25) Did you check out the for sale section here on the org? Best bet is to look at a used bike from a board member with a track record of posts.
I have been keeping a very close watch here in the classifieds, that is really why I am asking...I see a number of bikes that peak my interest, but all more than a handfull of states away.

(wpg2rch @ Apr. 03 2007,19:29)
(GSXcite @ Apr. 03 2007,21:25) Did you check out the for sale section here on the org? Best bet is to look at a used bike from a board member with a track record of posts.
I have been keeping a very close watch here in the classifieds, that is really why I am asking...I see a number of bikes that peak my interest, but all more than a handfull of states away.
If you find one on the org you are interested in, your chances of getting accurate information about the bike is MUCH better than something you would find in a classified ad or on ebay. You may find that some sellers may be open to meeting you half way or part of the way. DR1300 just bought a real nice bike from a member. You might PM him and ask him for some advise.

the .org...is like you getting something from family but, if you get some from ebay...is like you go to fleamarkets in the getto area, anything goes...
guns.gif

Anyway, getting a long distance deals...you have to talk alot of air time with the guy.
argue.gif

Likewise, If you happen to see one in the northern indiana area, let me know, and I'll see if i cant go check it out for you.

(PaNDeM1C @ Apr. 03 2007,21:52) How much are you looking to spend?
I am probably looking at about $7K. But in that I need to account for any flights, hotel costs, shipping, etc. Unfortunately my current bike hasen't sold yet, need to do that before I buy another one (wife's rules  
argue.gif
).

(hydrabusa @ Apr. 03 2007,23:04) And if its closed to DC Metro area, just let me know...I'll help you anyway...  
super.gif
Greatly appreciated! If I find one in your area, you will hear from me!  
biggrin.gif

(ibified @ Apr. 03 2007,23:38) Likewise, If you happen to see one in the northern indiana area, let me know, and I'll see if i cant go check it out for you.
That's great! Thank you!!
super.gif

(GSXcite @ Apr. 03 2007,22:08)
(wpg2rch @ Apr. 03 2007,19
super.gif
)
If you find one on the org you are interested in, your chances of getting accurate information about the bike is MUCH better than something you would find in a classified ad or on ebay. You may find that some sellers may be open to meeting you half way or part of the way. DR1300 just bought a real nice bike from a member. You might PM him and ask him for some advise.
I also bought a real nice one from DR1300R about 18 months ago. It was just as he said it was and was a very smooth transaction.

Do some research on the seller before you take the plunge. Doyle had a long history here which put me at ease. Regardless, I still sent a deposit and delivered the balance when I picked up the bike.

Yeah, I'd buy one from the ORG before I'd buy one anywhere else. ESPECIALLY if they are a long time/high count poster.

We bought a GXSR600 for our son from a org member. Sight unseen. We had pics, and about 3 other members high regards for the seller. We bought it, had it shipped to us... it was EXACTLY how he described it. Beautiful.

Good luck on your quest!!

PS.. If relsek still has his for sale... I'd buy that one in a flat instant.

(wpg2rch @ Apr. 04 2007,06:40)
(hydrabusa @ Apr. 03 2007,23:04) And if its closed to DC Metro area, just let me know...I'll help you anyway...  
super.gif
Greatly appreciated! If I find one in your area, you will hear from me!  
biggrin.gif
Same here if you find something in the South Texas area I got you covered!
beerchug.gif

Pretty well covered by the good members here
smile.gif
I hope you find what you're looking for and that we'll see pics of your new Busa soon
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

smile.gif

It's a tough thing to do, but can be done. Just have to do your research. If you find a good deal post it here and I'm sure members will help you out with either a review, concerns or take a look if its in their area. That's one of the great things about this place!

Bot mine on Ebay from a guy 1,500 miles away. Located a Suzuki dealer close to the sellers address, and paid the dealer $75 to perform a written pre-purchase inspection for me.

Alot cheaper than a plane ticket, but you've got to do your homework to ensure that you have a good solid dealer to do an accurate and honest inspection. Expensive part was shipping at $600, but was winter and impossible to fly to pick it up and ride it home.

Just my 2 cents

Back