Buying a Busa, any years to look out for?

navyswcc

Registered
Going to be adding a Busa to the stable. Want to know if there are any years to look out for between '01-'06. Currently own an RC51 thats only track legal now, and around town ride is an 07 Speed Triple. Love 'em both, but wanting a sport tour bike. Have done multiple 5,000+ mi trips on sports bikes in the past (CBR 929 & 1000rr, the RC). Wanting something a little bigger & more comfortable w/ a bit more power. Been riding 1000cc bikes for 12 years, so I've learned respect. Sorry for long winded post. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim

:welcome: All the years you have listed are quite similar with just minor changes. Parts abound for this bike, so you can find what you need to make it an ultra comfortable, yet fast tourer.

:welcome: All the years you have listed are quite similar with just minor changes. Parts abound for this bike, so you can find what you need to make it an ultra comfortable, yet fast tourer.

I have a 2004 with 16,000 miles on it. I love it. Older models tend to have tranny issues though. Do a search for previous posts on that. Happy hunting!

The only one to truly look out for is the 07 models, Especially the Sonoma Candy Red Ones, They had a problem with the HP & Speed on them. They just couldnt seem to slow that one down.

((07 Sonoma Candy Red is the Fastest Color )) :laugh:

Welcome! '01 and '02 models had minor problems, but '03 and up are great. Each bike will be different based upon how it was ridden and what work was or was not done to it.

The only one to truly look out for is the 07 models, Especially the Sonoma Candy Red Ones, They had a problem with the HP & Speed on them. They just couldnt seem to slow that one down.

((07 Sonoma Candy Red is the Fastest Color )) :laugh:

Agreed!! :thumbsup:

IMG00008a.jpg

:welcome:

I currently am adding miles to my '01 and have not had any major issue as of yet. (knocking on wood) She flipped 23000 last night and will have another 1k on her before next Monday. I am the third owner and the first owner was anal retentive record keeper. The 2nd owner didnt have her very long and is another .oRg member.

Good luck on your search, and I truly believe you will love owning a Busa!:thumbsup:

Welcome! '01 and '02 models had minor problems, but '03 and up are great. Each bike will be different based upon how it was ridden and what work was or was not done to it.

That's the years I would look for as well If I was to buy a nudder.. :thumbsup:

So +1 on the '03 and newer. :cheerleader:

watch out for the black and grey 08... it'll be coming up in your rear view at a very high rate of speed! If you don't watch out for it... it will be passing you in a hurry!:laugh:
joking, good luck with your search.

watch out for the black and grey 08... it'll be coming up in your rear view at a very high rate of speed! If you don't watch out for it... it will be passing you in a hurry!:laugh:
joking, good luck with your search.

Yes but the K8, black and orange will have already passed you first :rofl:

All of the major updates were done with the 2003 models.

02 first year for the 32 bit ECU and OEM clutch cushion.
03 first yead for the starter fix.
05 some minor changes in lighting. (Headlight now kills during start, flash to pass etc)

While not deal breakers, of your desired 01-06 years I would stay with the 2003-2006 models. The starter fix was to prevent broken cases when the starter kicked back. A low battery or increased compression increases the likelyhood of this happening. It was common enough Zuk redesigned it.

The 07 was the same as the 06 but all bikes are a solid color with black frames like the earlier Limited/Special editions. Historically the black frame bikes held the resale better. The market changed somewhat with the redesign on the 08. The changes in the 08 are very desirable if you can swing the difference in $$$.

Last edited:
The 07 was the same as the 06 but all bikes are a solid color with black frames like the earlier Limited/Special editions. Historically the black frame bikes held the resale better.

Fantastic response...I especially enjoyed how you touched upon the 2007 Black being the bestest and the fastest:beerchug:

:welcome: to the site navyswcc. Sorry not much help from me, my decision was based on colour BLUE :laugh:

Hope I got the blue bit right, I am colourblind :rofl:

Back