Buying a ball python in the morning

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I am buying a ball python in the morning. I have always wanted either scorpions or a snake. The misses gave in for the snake. Anything I should know or watch out for as a first time snake owner?

Don

I owned a Burmese Python back in late 90 and the snake was pretty tempermantal... but was tame enough for friends to handle.... but I've heard that Ball Pytons are better as far as keeping them tame...

Good luck!

I love snakes! I've owned several!

Snakes take GREAT CARE to keep them alive and well!! Keep him with a huge aquarium and a big heat rock... and play music if possible!!! Yes!!! Snakes dig mellow songs!!!! --- I'm not even joking!

Have fun w/ your snake! And, yes, they love being held in your house by everyone!!!!! Boas love it!!! Pythons.... not so much....

... feeding your snake is always the biggest hurdle.

Some snakes love being fed live mice... some like frozen/dead mice.

Who knows what yours will like.... you'll have to see....

A snake that WILL eat is a snake that will last long in captivity..... and those snakes that won't eat are ones that'll die. It's sad.

Good luck w/ yours!!! Keep it comfy...

Thanks Pan. I was going to buy it today, but they go on sale in the morning from $79.99 to $30. $100 for the tank and associated stuff. I will post up pics of him/her tomorrow.

Don

... last thought/advice --

Give that snake the biggest environment... aka the biggest tank!!!

They need room and they need light!!!!

good luck..... they're a difficult animal to keep. but they're rewarding when kept properly....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

It is only about 9 inches long right now. I will be buying a 20 gallon tank tomorrow. I plan to upgrade to a 40g in about 6 months, depending on how fast it grows.

Don

..... just remember that snakes take a lot of care.... and they need a lot of attention....

if not... they'll die. it's sad, but that's just how they are.

i hope yours is a great one who doesn't require too much attention during feeding sessions.... because most do.

good luck to you and your python!

bowdown.gif

DAMN! I miss Jennifer (my burmese!!!)

Pan,
What do you mean by "attention during feeding sessions"? What is the easiest way to tell whether it is a he or a she?

Don

Some snakes will 'run away' during feedings....

If you have a good eater, you'll know....

Just take extra care and pay attention at how your snake eats... IF it eats.

Some snakes will not eat in captivity/with domestic owners like you. It's sad, but true....

If you're lucky, your snake will eat just fine.... that's what you need to hope for.

I hope your snake eats.... because that's the biggest problem with owning a snake! Will it eat?

Here's an article written by another ball python owner about feeding (as i said...snakes are very tricky!!!)

start: lets make sure his tank is set up ok, temprature should be around 80-85 degrees in the day time with an area to bask of about 90 degrees,at night tank can cool down to no lower than 75 degrees if you have an area to bask at around 80 degrees(at night)also lets make sure that there is a nice climbing branch and also a place to hide either a half log to curl under.or a small box with doors cut on both ends.. ok.. feeding .. balls are most active during dusk and dawn hours so try to feed around those times. you can also go as far as to cover the glass with news paper during feeding to give the snake a sence of security or privacy as they feel most vunerable during feeding.

(USN05LE @ Jul. 01 2007,02:03) Pan,
  What do you mean by "attention during feeding sessions"?  What is the easiest way to tell whether it is a he or a she?

Don
read what i wrote above........ you'll see what i mean.

snakes like these require extra special attention... they need their privacy/security while feeding, too....

they are special animals....

good luck w/ your snake!!!

Hey, I'm envious! I want me another python!

Take care!!!

Ball pythons dont get all that big. You do need to make sure its feeding though, especially if its a baby. Best way is to have the pet shop feed it while you watch, in fact insist upon it if buying a baby. You need to provide warmth for the snake. I prefer a heatlamp. There are also heat rocks or mats, but you run the chance of burning the animal. A place for your snake to hide and a branch to climb would be ideal. You will need to control the humidity inside the cage too. Just mist twice a day or so with a spray bottle cause the heating element will dry things out. I prefer feeding live food to my snakes but if you need to you can wack the mouse or rat by swinging it by the tail and wack its head on the table. This stuns it so it cant bite snake. Make sure to handle snake often if not every time you open the cage he'll think its dinner and you may get nipped. The ball is a good starter snake, but redtail boas are by far the best to keep and handle. They are so gentle and sweet - and curious. Good luck bro!

Always before feeding or handling....take the snake out and let it get used to being handled,do this for about 30 minutes a day...then feed if necessary.
super.gif

Don, remember Bruno my 7 foot redtail Boa??

Call me, I'll give you all the skinny!

a snake thread cool!

I have three snakes now, i have had others in the past.

right now i have a BCI, red tailed boa
yellow head reticulated python and an albino Burmese python...

a ball python is a good beginners snake however i think a red tail boa is a better choice.

first ball pythons are notorious for going off feed for sometimes months at a time, they can be fussy feeders also.
as far as feeding any and all snakes should ONLY be fed pre killed or frozen thawed food.
with RTB you wont run into these problems. the only draw back for some is that a RTB can grow up to 8 feet or around there.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NOT BEING ABLE TO GET A SNAKE TO EAT P/K F/T FOOD, PERIOD.

do not use lamps or hot rocks or heat cable for heating.
if you are using a glass aquarium with a screen lid, make sure it locks, they will get out.
also cover 3/4 of the lid with a damp towel.
for heating the only things you should use is under tank heaters, like something called flexxwatt, use a thermostat for temp, and have a temp gradient, about 95 on the hot side to lower 80's on the cool side.
humidity is vital!
use a water ball over the heat source, belly heat, to raise the humidity, glass aquariums are the worst thing to keep a snake in, you may need to spray the cage once a day with water, aim for about 60% humidity in the enclosure.
use something like a flukers temp and hydrometer to keep track.

for substrate there are all dff things you can use and i guarantee i have tried everything!
the best overall i found is craft paper, go to cageliners.net for it, or just use newspaper.
if you don’t like the fact that it isn’t aesthetically pleasing and you want to use a wood substrate use either shredded aspen or cypress mulch. BEWARE these may contain mites which are a pain to get rid of!
never use pine or other woods with oils in, it is fatal to the snake.
NEVER feed the snake on loose substrate, when i used it i would put the food item on a peice of cardboard. if they swallow the substrate they could get a blockage...
I could keep going and going, if you need any other help just let me know.
Later and good luck!

my current setup;

DSC01949.jpg

the BCI, he is over 4 feet now and a little over a year i feed him one md rat every week;

DSC01517.jpg

the reticulated python 6 months old, he is 5 feet and gets fed one sm rat every week, he is also pretty vicious ;)

DSC01494.jpg

and the burm almost a year old, he was just maesured yesterday 81" and 11 pounds, he eats one XXL rat once a week.

old pic but you get the idea
DSC01504.jpg

one more important point i forgot was let the snake settle into his new home for at least a week, that means no feeding no touching...let him be and settle in.

My brother in-law had 2 snakes, boy did they stink!!!
He would clean them and the tanks all the time but in the summer you could not get rid of the stink!

My only input is make sure it is a captive born snake not a wild capture!

Back