Buying a 99 busa

fighterpilot

Registered
HEY, I'M JUST ABOUT TO BUY A 99 BUSA,3900MI, $8000, IT'S BLACK AND GREY, A REALLY SHARP LOOKING BIKE,BUT AFTER READING ABOUT ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH THE CAM CHAIN ADJ. AND ENGINE NOISES I'M STARTING TO HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS. ARE THESE PROBLEMS INHERENT TO ALL OR MOST BUSA'S? I CAN DEAL WITH MOST OF WHAT I'VE READ HERE, BUT PROBLEMS WITH THE CAM CHAIN AND TOP END TROUBLE CAN BE VERY EXPENSIVE, AND SINCE IT'S A USED BIKE I WILL HAVE NO WARRANTY TO FALL BACK ON. HOW OFTEN DO THESE PROBLEMS TURN INTO SOMETHING MAJOR? ALSO I WILL BE THE 3RD OWNER ON A BIKE THAT HAS 3900 MI. ON IT(RED FLAG). IT'S A GREAT BIKE I WANT IT BAD! THANKS

That's too much for that bike.
I paid $8000 for a 00 with 2700 miles, 1 year ago.

Just my .02
ernaehrung004.gif

Problems I've had on the 99, thus far:

-Cam chain tensioner (recalled)
-Broken pan seal, broken clips from the dealer that did the cam chain tensioner recall (~$15 in seals in parts to fix myself... and never rely on the dealer ever again)
-Fuel screens (went K&N/braided line route... cost me $80)
-Stator-regulator connector ('-' terminal melted, bypassed connector and went direct, free fix, minus time)
-Headlight-bike connector (again, '-' terminal melted, fixed on the road with my trusty Swiss army knife, need to replace connector soon).

Other than that, no problems. And I paid WAY too much for mine used, with more miles, two years ago. That was before I knew about these boards.
sad.gif

Oh, forgot to add... the stator-reg. connection problem did cost me a new battery and getting stranded twice before I diagnosed the cause.

biggrin.gif
You are considering more than a great bike it is allready a legend in its own time... really I love it. $8k does sound a little high, ( bike better be perfect, never down ... ). Check out cycletrader.com for a long list of bikes for sale around the country to get a better idea on what the going prices are. I got my 00 in March 2001 for $9500 with warranty it had 600 miles on it. I then called American Suzuki ( they were very helpful ) I gave them the serial # and they let me know that the recall had been done on the bike allready.
wink.gif

Oh and I have had no problems w/ my bike at all.

American Suzuki
(714) 996-7040 or
1-800-356-6013

Mine is a 2001 with 8619 miles, i payed $7500 for it, and it look perfect aside from a few small scratches along the bottom(from rocks and such).

Just for a comparison, but it does have over twice the miles on it.

I've got 2 '99's. Both are bulletproof so far. Yes, I do clean the fuel screens once in awhile, yes, the CCT recalls have been done. 29,000 on the Copper and 18,000 on the Carbon Fiber bike so far.
Gar

Back