Buying a 00 Busa....

SSKILLZ

Registered
Short and sweet...maybe.

My daily driver is a 2000 Camaro SS. It is now a 10 second car and becoming unreliable for every day use.  Ive been riding on and off for 4 1/2 yrs.  Ive owned a cbr600 f3, anda cbr600f4i.

Anyway...its been a bit over a year since Ive been on a bike, and today I rode my friends 2000 Busa.  Its lowered 3", Micron exhaust, power programmer, and a couple small parts.  3900 miles.  Some garage scratches.   Here it is...

http://www.gmvsford.com/forums/attachment.php3?attachmentid=906

http://www.gmvsford.com/forums/attachment.php3?attachmentid=905

First question.... ARE BANKS ON CRACK? Max loan value on a used 2000 Busa is only $4255. I dont get it? Tis was a 10k+ bike new right?

Im going to buy this bike for $6200. New rear tire, new starter clutch, and all theTSBs are being done as we speak. $6200 fair? What should I be looking for on this bike? Anything I should know?

And...As I said...tonite was the 1st time I have been on a bike in a bit over a year. I know this bike cant be thrown in to corners so hard. Its a big mother. But simple turning, and definitly turnig around in a cul-de-sac was very hard for me. I felt way unbalanced. Is this the Busa? Is this the 3" drop? Is this me being used to a small 600? Will I get used to this, or am I a bit out of my league?

I had mine 1.5"'s in the front and then 2"'s in the back and I did not have a problem turning it in the corners. Easily scraping pegs. I raised it back to stock height and still no problem in the corners, the bike is very stable.

Dude...6200 is too much. Even with the exhaust, PC and some small parts, it should not go up to $6200 from $4255. You can get yourself a 01 or 02 for that price if you look hard enough. Bad enough it's scratched up. I got my 99 last year for $6985....but that's only because I really wanted a 99. I could have gotten 01s or 02s for about the same, but I chose to stick to the 99. Do some more research! For $3000 more, you may as well get a spanking-new 03 clearance or left over.

sorry i have to disagree with
pacificbusa
6k is not to much
for a 2000 with 10 k miles
but if you think that you can find a cheaper 2000 with the mods go ahead and pass its your money

well mebbe...the max loan the bank will give is 4255? Check kelly blue book or check the NADA value....that should give you a good idea as to how much you should be paying for it. What I'm looking at is it being scratched up. Even if it has the full exhaust, I know a full exhaust don't cost $2000. And that's a brand new one! I know the one on it has some mileage.

From the pictures, the bike is only lowered from the back?
rock.gif
Thats probably why it turns like $Hit.

IN case you missed it..its only got 3900 miles unless he knows how to disable that.

The scratches are insignificant. Sure, they bug me...but that just means I get to do some custom work on the paint.

its definitly lowered front and rear.

Its also got carbon fiber rear signals, overlay on the bars.

I wish I could remember all it has. Its a nice bike..

This past August I paid $7100 for my '00. It had about 5K mi. and was cherry. Even had the original rear tire. I think banks are extremely conservative on bike loans. Don't confuse what the bank will loan and market value.
The only thing I would check out is that the 3900 miles is not been put on a 1/4 mile at a time. Otherwise, if you like the bike, go for it.
When I first got on mine it seemed a little intimidating to make the slow tight turns too, but you get the hang of it.
Good Luck.

SSKILLZ,

From the pics posted the bike is only lowered in the REAR. To lower the front, you have to buy a new triple tree or have a strap and the pics posted have neither. You can have it lowered inside the shocks but you have to take the hole front end off to do that or have it done. It is very expensive to do that versus the other methods I listed. So we are 95% sure it's NOT lowered in the front.

As for the price, that's about right! Banks don't want to finance a used bike. Some banks will only loan 80% on used leaving you to come up with the extra amount. So in a payment side of things it isn't much more to just buy a brand NEW bike.

With that in mind what do you have planned for the bike? Are you going to ride it for the summer and sell it or keep it for a long time? Are you going to drag race it, what?

The bike turns fine, you just need to get use to riding a bike again. It does turn a lot harder than a 600 doing parking lot speeds but you will get use to it quick. Just take it easy and get use to it without trying to be a Hero smoking everything you see the first time out!

What other condition is the bike in? What did the rear tire look like that came off of it? Was it abused? Has it ever been dropped? Do you know the guy very well that's selling it? Does he have the rear hump? Is he the original owner? Find out everything you can about it and if it still feels right go for it. If you have any bad feelings, keep looking. There is always a better deal out there.

Pluses are that it's a 2000 so no restriction and 220MPH gauges. The restriction isn't a big deal thought because you can buy a .10$ resistor and fix that. Other than that check the rear sub-frame(aluminum) for cracks. That was a problem on that year and also the cam chain recall. Other than that seems like a okay buy.

Almost forgot, HAVE YOU CHECKED THE INSURANCE?
rock.gif
? That is usually the make or break for most people. Keep looking if you get a bad quote.

Josh
blues.gif

$6,200 isn't bad at all. However, like Josh stated above, check what your insurance will be before you purchase.

BTW- My bank will not lend money on a used motorcycle.

The Busa was the CHEAPEST insurance by far. Cheaper than a 600 honda! They considered it to be touring because of its size. I like that.

Ill be keeping the bike for awhile. I love it. No drag racing with it, nor superhero street antics. I like it for the smooth power and its comfort. I feel better on this bike than anything else ive ever sat on. I do think Ill raise it back to stock height though.

He does have the original hump in the rear. Although Im guessin no one here has a hard time fillin the rear seat with somethin for everyone behind you to look at.

I do know the guy semi-well. Ive known him since back in my Chicago days. We know each other well enough that he didnt have a problem letting me pay him the difference $4255/$6200 over the next 6 months.

Good luck & welcome to the obsession. Price seems OK, you can still talk him down a tad. Remember, Suzuki wants 6 bills for a new fairing.

These bikes are great at all speeds. Just get used to it. It's got way over twice the ponies of your .6l.

Sounds like your mind is made up.....just be careful when you wheel out that bad-boy.

EPT, I think I have to disagree with you on this one. If I believe correctly, the Busa was restricted starting in 2000. Same year the ZX12 first came out...same year as the "gentleman's aggreement".

Am I correct in believing this?

Sounds like your mind is made up.....just be careful when you wheel out that bad-boy.

EPT, I think I have to disagree with you on this one. If I believe correctly, the Busa was restricted starting in 2000. Same year the ZX12 first came out...same  year as the "gentleman's aggreement".

Am I correct in believing this?
The BUSA was officially restricted in 2001! Some of the late 2000 models might have been due to new parts released early but ALL 00's should run over 186!

yeah...the "official" restriction year. But I heard nasty things about Suzuki restricting the 00 models and not letting the customers know about it.

Mebbe those were the ones that suffered. I was gonna buy a red/silver 00 from this guy in cali...and he said it topped out at about 185-186.

I still think that all of the 00s are restricted. I wouldn't put it past Suzuki to restrict it and not let us know about it.

Back